Sound Randomly Stopped working

Burdy323

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Hello, today I was fixing a wifi problem and was removing the PCI wifi card and putting it back in. I finnaly got it to work perfectly and then realized I had no sound. When I plug in only the mic in the front panel on my headset, it says the mic is on. When I plug in the audio part of my headset, the Mic says its not plugged in and the speakers say there on, but I cant hear anything.. I have reinstalled drivers about 3 times and restored to when it worked but nothings happening.. Please Help :( (It is HD Audio/Realtek)

Specs
---------
ASUS P7h55-m pro
6gb DDR3 ram
Intel i5 760 2.8ghz (ussually 4, but tried restoring bios to fix sound and havent bumped it up since)
1tb HDD
GTX 470 1280 mb
Onboard sound

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
problem is in the sensor in the jack itself. I had a similar issue and i managed to fix it by poking a long round file inside to clean the connectors. Its dangerous and a last ditch effort fix. But this paid off for me.

The file was for anything and came with a small kit. you may be able to use a chainsaw file.

Burdy323

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Any tutorial on how to do this or any pictures? This would make me feel alot safer about doing this xP Also I would Like to add that the speakers say there plugged in even though there not

Also, would me plugging in a usb headset work? im guessing not becuase the jacks say theres something plugged in, but wondering if this would work

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Its a odd problem but still sounds like the sensor is broke. No pictures or tutorials :p, As i said this was a last ditch effort for me. Get a flashlight and shine in there to see if it looks okay, and if you do try it make sure its powered down.

Burdy323

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Another thing I would like to add, I have the HD Audio Codec plugged into my Mobo, and the Realtek front panel setting is set to HD audio, and whenever I unplug everything, the Thing goes crazy saying im unplugging and plugging things back in :??: ... I think my front panel must be screwed up or something