mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I just built a new tower with the 4850 as its shinning feature. The specs are as follows:

E7200 OC'd to 3.8ghz
2GB OCZ PC6400 4-4-4-15
Asus P5Q Pro
Asus HD4850
250GB Sata II Seagate Barricuda
Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

This system feels very fast to me but just doesnt play the games as smooth as I thought it would. I have only tested three games on this system so far, WoW, Call of Duty 4, and the Crysis Demo. Wow plays fine but the other two games seem to stutter at random times. CoD4 stays fps capped at like 90 frames but randomly drops to like 20 giving me a very jerky gameplay. Crysis does the same thing only I dont have FPS figures for it. I run all these games at 1280x1024. at this low resolution crysis is very jerky on medium settings and no AA it plays fine then randomly freezes for a few frames or any time i try to use the gun sight.

I was looking forward to playing these games smoothly for once and have become very dissapointed. are you guys getting similar resuly from your 4850's? I installed the drivers off the CD and then installed the hotfix right over that (not sure if that was how I was suppose to do it)

I read gret reviews about this card and I am pretty sure this card should handle CoD4 and Crysis at this resolution without any problems so can someone tell me how to get its performance up to par?

G

might be driver problem/ overheating issue...

currently my system is stuttering after playing games for a while... I imagine its do to heat... because I haven't changed anything

I would think its more of early drivers than anything. If I get a 4870 1GB I will test it.

As for the heat, have you confirmed this yet though? Try running ATITools fur thingy and see if it does stay around that temp cuz that will load the GPU easily.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
it could be possible ram issue but 2GB should be plenty for CoD4, should have more for crysis but at this resolution and med settings 2gb should also be fine.

I read a few people were having problems with the hotfix drivers lowering their FPS so i will try uninstalling them running a driver cleaner and try the standard 8.6 drivers. if they still cause problems I will try uninstalling them and running a driver cleaner and installing the hotfix drivers again but not installing them over the normal 8.6's this time and see if any of that helps me.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
The Ram is not OC'd I reduced the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1 so its running at stock speeds of 400x2. I have come to the conclusion that the OC is stable from running prime95 for hours on end with absolutly no errors anywhere and stable temps accross the board.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Ok I feel kinda dumb now... on my old radeon 9600xt i used the VGA out to my monitor and the DVI out to the tv for watching movies. well when hooked up the 4850 I installed my monitor and my TV but didnt noticed the tv would be supported and turned on by default without me telling it to display on both... So this entire time my video card has been displaying the game on my monitor and my TV... I have not tested without the TV hooked up but this has to be it LOL.