Help Picking Video Card for High End Gaming

rhugga

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I haven't built a home PC in probably 10 years (been lazy and been buying from dell). I build and maintain high-end Sun systems for my day job so I haven't really kept up with the PC stuff lately. I've really gotten into gaming lately and decided to sink a few grand into a high-end gaming system and I can't believe how much stuff is out there now -- technology wise.. Im set on an Intel proc and Nvidia based video card -- I just can't decide which card.

At first I was gonna go with the 9800 GX2 but now I'm hearing that its better to get 2 8800 Ultra's instead. (using SLI) I originally planned on getting 1 9800 GX2 but keep the option to add another one later on. Would I be better off with a 3-way 8800 Ultra configuration possibly? What about the new GTX 280 series? Also, after glancing at the motherboards out there, is there a board that will allow a 3-way SLI using 8800 Ultra's and still leave room for a PCI-express component?

If money is relatively no object, ie: Im willing to spend up to 1k on my video card(s) solution. I don't want an insanely loud or hot solution. I mainly want something that will allow me to run most games at 1900x1200 at the highest (or close to it) settings.

Thanks in advance for any info....

ibp_john

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Well 8800U's aren't made anymore so I wouldn't purchase one of those. You might be ok going with a single GTX280 (after they have their price drop). Also you might want to wait just a little bit and get a 4870x2 when they come out.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i say if you need it NOW, get an AMD/ATI 4870, or 2; Or wait a few days for Nvidia to drop prices on the 280. AMD is crushing them on the price/performance catagory for the time being. Supposidly a x2 version of the 4870 is on its way as well. But again, for RIGHT now, i'd go for the 4870

rhugga

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

Thanks for pointing out that ATI card, somehow I missed it. I've been mainly an ATI user all the years anyways, I've always thought nvidia was overpriced and overrated. I'm really thinking about waiting for that X2 4870 now. Right now Im running an ATI X1950 that actually runs most games I've played till now fine at 1900x1200. AoC, which I doubt Im gonna even play much longer anyway, tasks it a bit and I've gotten a few blue screens (first ever on this rig I might add) Im mainly looking down the road to titles like Diablo III and BF3.

What motherboard (preferably ASUS or Gigabyte manufactured) would you recommend if I wanna crossfire a pair of these?

Thx,
CC

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
How you heard of www.newegg.com ????
I'm running a x1950pro as well, and honestly, i'm still very happy with it, i'm still waitin awhile for something else new, or prices to fall. Resi at 1440x900

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i would say asus and if its high end stick with the x38 or x48 chipset
but if u want to save some cash the the p45 is a good overclocker
dont get a nvidia chipset they tend to run hot and there is a problem with
SATA i think