solid state capacitors or not?

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
hi,

i have my eyes set on a xfx 780i sli motherboard but that doesnt come with solid state capacitors (may some but definitely not all, im not sure), should i worry about it not having all solid state capacitors?

for another £30, i can get the 780i ftw version, with all solid state capacitors, 8 phase power, ferrite core chokes, onboard power on, reset, clear cmos button (seems pretty useful).

so should I get the ftw version to ease my mind on not having to worry about the capacitors on the standard 780i popping?

i will be doing a bit of overclocking on the cpu, gpu and ram just to let you know. i'll be ordering the parts in 2 days, any quick suggestions really appreciated!

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
yes im planning gtx 260 in sli, and its £30, dats about $55 US odd.

i just have this sudden worry over the caps leak/popping. this is for a build for the next three years during my uni course which i wont be upgrading or changing anything so i just want something reliable at least.

Well I am still using an old A64(PVR/File Server) board from when the chips where first released. No solid caps and its still running 24/7. Solid caps DO last longer under stress, so if you are stressing your new system, its up to you if that is worth $50 more.

The 2 boards seem to share the same default layout(Nvidia's reference design), that said the $50 is purely down to the extra features and solid caps.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
If you're aiming at high overclocking, solid caps may be worth it. Running gel caps on higher than rated voltages can cause problems. Solid caps could increase stability on high oc, or at the very least, give you a peace of mind.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yep go for the solid capacitors, i have bad experience with normal ones. but all depends on the inside temp of the case ,airflow and the pressure on the caps. so I think extra money worth it

weirdoku

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
thanks for the replies, i think i'll get the solid capacitors board, ease my mind!

and pay day tommorow.......ordering the lot! cant wait!