Possibly inadiquate Power supply?

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
When I first built my computer, I tried to slightly OC my 9600GSO, but something about it kept crashing.
I can't quite remember what It was.
But I was wondering if trying to OC with an inadequate PSU can crash a videocard?
Cause when whatever was crashing was crashing, My computer never failed, froze, or turned off.
The screen just kept going black.
I was using EVGA's overclocking tool by the way.

RAM
GPU
CPU
PSU

Also, I couldn't find a satisfactory subsection.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

skreenname from what you are telling me you were hooking the 6 pin from the power supply!

the power supply you listed has 2-12 volt rails (1) has 14 amps on it and another has 15 amps on it.Requirements
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with c

have tryed using the dongle cable provided by you video card.

I think the video card is being under powering by the psu.you are using 29 amps to power every thing in that pc that to close for me.if the dongle cable don't work .try another power supply . 500 or 600 with a single rail of at lest 32 40 amps.hope this helps you out.

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Oh, thanks!
I'll try that, I've got it on the Molex adapter right now for cable management, and if it's the dongle you're talking about then It's more useful that just making my case cleaner!
I'll try to OC it again once I DL the EVGA software.