Sign in with
Your question

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB and loud random clicking noise

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2009 11:55:18 PM

I have a new Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. This is my second one. The first one I had started to make clicking noises randomly. These clicking noises can be very loud. Also, the hd freezes for a few seconds when it happens sometimes. It took about 3 weeks for the clicking noises to start. They came randomly rather the drive was idle, or if I was surfing the internet. In other wards, this is not from the drive going to sleep and waking up(also, this is my boot drive). The noises were loud enough that I could hear about 7 feet away. I sent that hard drive back and got another of the same model. Now, after 3 weeks of use the clicking noises are begining. It was silent the first 3 weeks. I know it will get worse because that is how my other seagate hd got. what's the chances of this happening twice in a row? This drive(and the one before it) was used as my boot drive and I only use my system for music, internet surfing, and movies so there is no abuse. Is this a known issue of these drive models? Could it have been shipping both times(bubble wrap was used)? Or has Seagate quality hit the floor?
a b G Storage
October 13, 2009 1:17:31 PM

Run Seatools hard disk diagnostics.
You may be able to push some bad sectors back.
There is a 22% failure rate on that drive according to Newegg.com, which is probably worse than actual, because satisfied people normally do not rate the product, while dissatisfied people will rate the product more often. 22% is a little high. I try to stay under 14-15% dissatisfaction rate.

m
l
October 13, 2009 10:24:16 PM

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22373-order,1...

I have a ST3500418AS, that is the 1 platter 500GB model, without worries up to now.

-----

Dissatisfaction rate: sellers' feedback base is too small, leading to statistical fluctuations and possible abuses by manufacturers.

I prefer to use Google, through the ratio:
ST31500541AS problem
to
ST31500541AS
which generally send back hit figures like 10,000 or 100,000, more difficult for manufacturers to influence.

In your case, 5,820/294,000 hits or 2% which is good.

-----

Same disks shipped back to you? Just check the serial number. You got it written on your floppy when using Seatools, or on HdTune's screenshot, possibly in the hidden hardware list from Windows' hardware manager, and so on.
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2009 4:25:25 PM

I was just googling wondering how it could happen twice. I have the same situation. The story is exactly the same. The rate of clicking increased over the weeks and in the end, the drive would be no longer recognized by the system, just click constantly from startup. No abuse to the drive at all, it was mostly sitting idle for few weeks. Seagate diagnostic or SMART would not report any problems over that time. Though at some point finishing the surface scan with HDDScan would be no longer possible as the drive would hang during such test. But as far as I could see it would just hang randomly even doing nothing, in a way not related to reading particular sectors.
Well, that was my first drive. I already have a replacement from Seagate. Two weeks have passed and I've already heard the same loud clicking noises few times. Not again!
It's easy to find complaints on the 7200 version of those drives, those had many problems, supposedly fixed with newer firmwares, but there's very little about 5900. Actually, the terrible reputation of 7200 version was my reason to stay away from it. But apparently they have the same design flaws. As for the shipping, my second one came in a box that would easily fit 30 drives, filled with foam, perfect packaging. And as usual, I've started with all built in SMART tests to see if the drive is fine (different serial number btw, and a brand new one if we are to trust SMART data on those matters).
So, are we supposed to sit and wait again until our drives fail again and we can send them back?
m
l
October 23, 2009 10:08:22 AM

Google thing is not very fair as the models would have to have been released at same time and sold in the same quantities.

Pointertovoid said:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22373-order,1...

I have a ST3500418AS, that is the 1 platter 500GB model, without worries up to now.

-----

Dissatisfaction rate: sellers' feedback base is too small, leading to statistical fluctuations and possible abuses by manufacturers.

I prefer to use Google, through the ratio:
ST31500541AS problem
to
ST31500541AS
which generally send back hit figures like 10,000 or 100,000, more difficult for manufacturers to influence.

In your case, 5,820/294,000 hits or 2% which is good.

-----

Same disks shipped back to you? Just check the serial number. You got it written on your floppy when using Seatools, or on HdTune's screenshot, possibly in the hidden hardware list from Windows' hardware manager, and so on.

m
l
October 23, 2009 10:11:49 AM

Thanks for feedback, I originally was looking to see if there was a performance hit with this drive at 5900 vs the 7200 on typical drives. Now I think I will buy a Samsung drive instead. I used to by Seagate because of their 5 year no quibble guarantee but this sounds like my data will be at risk.

mjoach said:
I was just googling wondering how it could happen twice. I have the same situation. The story is exactly the same. The rate of clicking increased over the weeks and in the end, the drive would be no longer recognized by the system, just click constantly from startup. No abuse to the drive at all, it was mostly sitting idle for few weeks. Seagate diagnostic or SMART would not report any problems over that time. Though at some point finishing the surface scan with HDDScan would be no longer possible as the drive would hang during such test. But as far as I could see it would just hang randomly even doing nothing, in a way not related to reading particular sectors.
Well, that was my first drive. I already have a replacement from Seagate. Two weeks have passed and I've already heard the same loud clicking noises few times. Not again!
It's easy to find complaints on the 7200 version of those drives, those had many problems, supposedly fixed with newer firmwares, but there's very little about 5900. Actually, the terrible reputation of 7200 version was my reason to stay away from it. But apparently they have the same design flaws. As for the shipping, my second one came in a box that would easily fit 30 drives, filled with foam, perfect packaging. And as usual, I've started with all built in SMART tests to see if the drive is fine (different serial number btw, and a brand new one if we are to trust SMART data on those matters).
So, are we supposed to sit and wait again until our drives fail again and we can send them back?

m
l
October 27, 2009 11:55:54 AM

I have recently bought 6 of the same 1.5TB drives. I have the same fault as you. Although so far no failures.

Loud clicking noises in more than 1 of the drives. Because there is 6 of them in an array I can't be sure wich ones are the problem.

I will try to upgrade the firmware but am not optermistic.
m
l
October 30, 2009 3:52:40 AM

I bought 3 of these 5900 rpm drives from Fry's a month apart. All have developed this problem. I copy 0.9 TB worth of data no prob. After some days, the clicking starts. Becomes worse. SMART, etc ok. SeaTools ok.
Seagate suggested its a hardware prob with my P4 motherboard SATA port. I put in a PCI card with SATA 2 and same problem.
It even happens at power up time.

There is something sick with this drive model.

I do have two older (3 to 5 month old) 1.5TB 7200 rpm Seagates. One has not shown this problem. (These have the newest CC firmware.) The other one showed it weakly for a while and then stopped.

At one point, the 5900 drive would recalibrate badly (the click click) on internal SATA but not on an external USB SATA adapter. Later the 5900 had the problem on either internal or external.

I think that Seagate should recall these. I bought a Hitachi 1g as a replacement. I'm afraid of Seagate and 1.5 TB.
m
l
October 31, 2009 4:42:22 AM

I went ahead and bought one again for the 3rd time....this time the retail version from best buy. after about 3 weeks it started clicking. ugh. talk about painfull. i wonder if this would be the same on the 2 tb version?
m
l
October 31, 2009 8:27:50 AM

All of mine were retail. This has to be some kind of manufacturing defect. I was afraid of the 2TB having the same trouble. So I switched to Hitachi as it was on sale and only 1 TB. Anybody know if 2TB and 1.5TB share the same firmware and hardware?
m
l
October 31, 2009 10:34:58 AM

The DENIAL by seagate of what MUST BE a manufacturing defect that produces drives that progressively become more and more faulty simply costs them business. I built 4 NAS devices last week each with 5 drives, we were going to go with Seagate but until this problem is resolved we will not touch ANY of their drives.
m
l
November 1, 2009 2:04:13 PM

Man, I can't wait to see how and WHEN Seagate begins to deal with this issue. Sucks, they were my favorite brand hd company and was the only hd company I could trust. Can't believe they would lower the quality control like this.
m
l
November 26, 2009 7:25:21 PM

:fou:  3 Drives, two defect ones after few days. Getting worst. Firmare is CC34.
m
l
November 27, 2009 10:17:01 AM

Ordered 48 drives for a client yesterday for a SAN, guess which drives we did NOT order! Samsung are doing very well out of this problem! Vote with your feet and tell your friends to do the same.
m
l
November 27, 2009 11:32:29 AM

Shame on Seagate! They still sell the drives. After checking the S/N of my 3 drives on the Seagate support pages they tell me that there are no updates for my firmware and no known issues with this model. Are they sleeping or are they afraid of the bad public relations? I know they just had a similar bad hit to the market with another drive model. All those drives were ordered back home.
m
l
November 27, 2009 12:55:00 PM

Their attitude is that it is enough to offer a swap out warranty and even replace duff drives with previously returned duff drives. Years ago Amstrad had to pull out of the PC business because Western Digital drives failed in their computers and they later sued WD for $500m. This fault is too common, they need to do a recall or stop selling the drives.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:30:00 AM

I bought two new Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB - SATA-300 on October 13 2009 from CDW, they shipped with the CC1H firmware. They worked fine under Windows 7, but about 30 days later I started to hear the click,click,click then the computer would lockup with Event Log errors that hard drive timed out. I ran SeaTools for DOS (boot cd-rom) which found 6 errors and fixed them. About 10 days later the computer froze again, upon reboot it wouldn't boot. SeaTools for DOS said the drive was not responding to any commands. I called Seagate Support was said there were no known problems with this drive and sent me over to Warranty Support where I paid $19 dollars to get another drive shipped so I can re-build my PC. Google search for Barracude 1.5TB freezing has a lot of hits.
m
l
December 17, 2009 12:20:15 PM

Ok, that's just ridiculous. My third replacement is now failing. This time there are no clicking noises (well, I've heard some, but not repeating ones, so maybe that was just power saving). But the drive keeps disappearing from the system more and more frequently and Windows logs time out errors when trying to communicate with the drive. And my previous two loudly clicking drives would disappear in the same way from time to time. Firmware is CC34 and as usual SMART does not report anything. But running software surface check will result in either no problems or drive timing out at some point.
Over past months I've tried different SATA cables and tried using drives in external USB case to have external power source. None of the drives lasted longer than 2 weeks until I could notice first problems.
Those drives should be recalled and Seagate must know about it. But I can see what they did. They did admit to firmware problems last year and later reported the problems to be fixed with newer firmwares to restore plummeting sales. But those drives must have some serious design problems which apparently can't be easily fixed. I can't imagine buying any Seagate drive ever again and I really hope this ends up badly for them for not being honest about failure rates.
m
l
December 23, 2009 4:49:08 PM

I have a Barracuda 1.5TB drive in my new desktop which I just bought. The very first thing I noticed as soon as I fired up the box was a loud, really annoying random clicking coming from the HD. My first thought within 30 seconds of the computer being on was - what the hell there's no way I can live with this for the next 2 years. This clicking is a a particular irritating and does not sound normal or healthy. I called the company that built my desktop and they suggested I get a WD caviar black 1TB, which is now on order. Very annoying to have to wait for a few days and then install a new HD, reinstall windows and my drivers rather than just getting to work. I am very glad I read this thread though because it confirms that this is a know issue. I think Seagate has lost my business. Too bad because I have used their drives for years.
m
l
December 28, 2009 1:26:09 PM

Damn! I have the same problem on my recently bought 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB HDD.
BTW, I just had the loudest clicking noise came from it since bought.
m
l
December 31, 2009 8:28:30 PM

I'm in my third Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB in less than a month. The first I bought was retail at Fry's Electronics, it failed within a week. I contacted Seagate (I should have returned it to Fry's) and paid $19.99 for the expedited service. The second drive arrived, and after 3 days it was clicking again. I called Seagate again, they waived the $19.99 fee and sent a replacement that just failed today, I still haven't sent the second back, so right now I have 2 dead Seagate drives at home.

I called again, but today (12/31) is a "company holiday" and I have to wait until Monday (01/04) to contact support.

I'm buying a Hitachi today... No more Seagate for me.
m
l
December 31, 2009 11:23:16 PM

i have had a huge failure rate when using seagate drives. i work at a used technology recycle center/ pc refurbisher/ pc repair shop/pc sales, etc, and most of us agree that seagate is good in inventeing higher capacity drives and such, or good at making faster ones, but they are bad quality and SO MANY PCS THAT COME IN TO BE FIXED DUE TO HRD DRIVE ISSUES ARE MADE BY SEAGATE!!!
m
l
January 1, 2010 1:34:34 PM

I have had many Seagates without any problems before.
Now I bought Seagate Expansion 1.5Tb (ST315005EXD101-RK) USB disk. First backup with 300Gb went ok. Now when downloading 8GB photos for backup the disk is jammed for long times and makes tickling sounds. I want security with my backups and no problems so I will return this to the local reseller. Seems to be known issue for long time and still selling so this is first and last Seagate expansion for me.
m
l
January 26, 2010 7:15:00 PM

I purchased 2 1TB Seagate ST310005N1A1AS drives in March 2009. System is in an Antec case with 4 cooling fans and temperature is not an issue. System is for home use and does not get heavily utilized. Drives are installed in a Raid 1 array (mirrored image for redundancy). Drive 1 in the array failed (clicking and was not recognized) 2 weeks ago (mid-January 2010) and a replacement HDD ordered. While that drive was out, Drive 0 failed (same problems) this week. I'm not certain that I want to replace the Seagates,. I may scrap them and go with WD RE drives instead.
m
l
January 27, 2010 11:55:19 PM

seagte: BLEH
wd: YAY
samsung: DECENT BUT NOT TIME TRIED
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 30, 2010 3:21:34 PM

*** ing SEGATE disks before discovering that I'm not alone!
I've bought 2 Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5 TB (ST31500541AS) I've got 3 replacements from resellers, and all started to make click-click after some days.
Now my problem is how can I get my money back from Segate or change the disks with some working models?
Any suggestion?

ciao
sandrokan
m
l
February 13, 2010 9:32:19 AM

Seagate needs to step up and fix this problem or they will suffer the fate of Fujitsu and IBM! Considering they don't have SSD offerings to move them into the future they will end up selling off the division and go back to making SCSI drives and maybe externals rebranding the drives of whoever buys them (WD). I'd suggest that if you have stock in STX that you might want to consider selling soon... ;) 
m
l
February 20, 2010 5:00:28 PM

Hi Guys,

I am yet another unlucky owner of a 1.5TB Seagate AS with click of death problem...

I am about to contact Seagate Support for a replacement, but tbh, I would sooner get a refund from overclockers uk and buy a pair of WD 1.5TB drives..

I am really shocked by this thread... I have used seagate for years and we swear by them at work. where we have over a 1000+ dedicated servers serving websites etc. I really does seem as if the AS series are a much lower quality grade part than you would expect for the money. I am going to have to be very careful in the future about what drive manufacturer I choose to go with, I don't think it will be seagate anymore... ;-(

K
m
l
February 27, 2010 8:11:44 AM

Could it be possible that the "green" drives are merely the drives not good enough to run as a regular 7200.12 ? Although, the WD Green series doesn't seem to have reliability problems like this. You will also note that this series has a THREE (3) YEAR warranty instead of 5 year like I'm used to. I'm hoping it's not the same story as when the warranty was reduced on the Maxtor drives to 1 year from 3. Remember the "thin" Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 IDE drives?
m
l
March 13, 2010 2:31:16 AM

click of death here too
m
l
March 13, 2010 2:32:15 AM

xe77 said:
Could it be possible that the "green" drives are merely the drives not good enough to run as a regular 7200.12 ? Although, the WD Green series doesn't seem to have reliability problems like this. You will also note that this series has a THREE (3) YEAR warranty instead of 5 year like I'm used to. I'm hoping it's not the same story as when the warranty was reduced on the Maxtor drives to 1 year from 3. Remember the "thin" Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 IDE drives?

no the green drives are simply slower spindle speed and otherwise energy optimized hard drives
m
l
March 13, 2010 12:31:30 PM

shovenose said:
no the green drives are simply slower spindle speed and otherwise energy optimized hard drives

What I'm trying to say here is I'm suggesting that there's possibly another reason why these drives operate in this way that isn't being told to the public. I am already aware of the "official" reasons - thanks.
m
l
March 15, 2010 9:48:26 PM

I have the same problem "click click click" in BRAZIL! They┬┤re seeling a lot of this cheap drives at very good prices and I bought one of this sad unities. I really trust seagate before. The warranty was amazing, and they prompt say that will replace the defect drive BUT... can I got the data before???? Someone try to replace the BOARD on the disk by another one (still working) to try to recover the datA?????
Please, tell me if you have success recovering the lost DATA after DEATH CLICKING.....

thank YOU

marcio@scheibel.com.br
m
l
March 28, 2010 11:15:05 PM

Burnsy9000 said:
I have a Barracuda 1.5TB drive in my new desktop which I just bought. The very first thing I noticed as soon as I fired up the box was a loud, really annoying random clicking coming from the HD. My first thought within 30 seconds of the computer being on was - what the hell there's no way I can live with this for the next 2 years. This clicking is a a particular irritating and does not sound normal or healthy. I called the company that built my desktop and they suggested I get a WD caviar black 1TB, which is now on order. Very annoying to have to wait for a few days and then install a new HD, reinstall windows and my drivers rather than just getting to work. I am very glad I read this thread though because it confirms that this is a know issue. I think Seagate has lost my business. Too bad because I have used their drives for years.

Download Hiren's Boot Disk from the web (just type in "hiren's" -- the latest version is 10.1 I think) and use one of the imaging programs to make images of your OS when you have it configured the way you like. That way, if your drive crashes and you have to get another, you're back in business in under thirty min. The programs are easy to use. Once you find the imaging software you like, search the web for the best price and buy the program -- you'll have a license and a clear conscience and you'll never do without it again. Makes restoring an OS fast and easy.

My personal fav is Ghost.
m
l
March 28, 2010 11:23:28 PM

xe77 said:

The difference in the 3 yr. and 5 yr. is simply the difference in purchasing "retail box" vs. "bulk drive."

I don't think the warranty has changed. However, I do know that Seagate released an announcement some time back that some drives were dropping to 3yr. I don't think that this is one, though. In fact, I was unable to find any retail drives that were only 3 yrs. ... but I quit looking when I found that the ones I was interested in were still 5 yrs.

Of course I'm not really interested in Seagate drives anymore, seeing not only these massive failure rates but Seagate's dishonesty in denying a manufacturing problem and refusing to replace with new drives when failure is shortly after purchase.

Seagate is killing their reputation. I won't be surprised if they crash and burn.
m
l
April 7, 2010 8:22:36 AM

Hello, I bought two drives Seagate Low Power 2TB . Both of them start to clicking (probably click of death) after 3 days work. I `ve send it back (warranty) one of them and got brand new one. After 1 week it starts randomly click :)  It seems Segate has new problem after 7200.11 SD15 corruption. Be cearful with those drives esspecially when You have impotrant data on it. Just Do backup when You hear :)  - POLAND DR specialist .
m
l
April 12, 2010 2:47:36 PM

RE: Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB and loud random clicking noise.

I have the same problem, it seems like it starts after a week or two. This is my second drive fortunately I only backed up one vm at 30GB so far. I guess I will take this back for something else.
Good luck guys. Joe
m
l
April 13, 2010 7:26:49 PM

I have Buffalo Just Store 1TB External Hard Drive and I have same problem: ocassional repeating clicking noise on boot-up.. this is my second Buffalo external hd with the same problem. And the first one stopped working completely.

I just googled and saw that Buffalo is using Seagate HD's alongside Western Digital and Samsung.

I think I have had bad luck and both of my Buffalo's have had Seagate hd's.
m
l
May 18, 2010 5:48:59 PM

I am looking for a good PCB for this hard drive, Seagate Barracude LP 1.5 TB
S/N 9XW01HPF
ST31500541AS
P/N 9TN15R-510
Firmware CC34
Date Code 10175
Site Code TK

PCB ID 100536501 REV A

My hard drive is good i just need to replace the PCB board
m
l
May 20, 2010 6:53:57 PM

Some hard drives are very sensitive to to any situation wherein they are not reasonably level.

Try placing it on as level a surface as you can and see if that stops the clicking.

Regards
Tony
m
l
May 29, 2010 6:08:00 AM

2 drives
both ST31500541AS
Firmware CC34

1st drive clicking after 2 hours
bought second drive and clicking after 1 week.

Called Seagate, was told to run seatools, clicking as usual, and NO faults detected. Ran advanced and still no issue found. 3 weeks later, drive refuses to be recognized by my mVix media player but I can still see it if connected via USB to the computer.

Seagate claims no issues and no reports of problems (Yeah right...). I just bought a 3rd.. within a few seconds of bootup, clicking!

I'm gonna call Seagate, have them take all 3 of them back... fry's won't take them back saying they have a lot of returns. Its sad, really. I refuse to use WD drives because they never last more than a year for me. This is the first time Seagate quality has come into question.. I still have 9 gig scsi-2 drives running 24hrs a day from 1997!
m
l
May 29, 2010 2:15:21 PM

yeah well wd is the only company i will buy from! i hate seagate!
i still have a 1992 125mb wd drive lying around here somewhere :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 11, 2010 4:56:25 AM

I have the same problem as everyone here. 1.5 TB external HD clicking like mad and freezing up while it does this tap routine. My favorite part about this junk drive was the fact that after entering the information about the drive on the seagate website I found that while the drive is only 6 months old, I dont even qualify for a bloody phone call to one of their techs. I was astounded that they would give such inferior customer service. My conclusion is that they are very well aware of the issues they are having and are avoiding accepting any responsibilty since it would require costly replacements and retooling of their system to produce slightly better enclosures.
I was about to pitch the drive in the bin, but decided first to try it in a diff enclosure. I had a 500 GB simpledrive I swapped the HD's out of em and the seagate is behaving like it should. Instead of clicking tapping like a piece of garbage it sits quietly untill used. I am jumping to the conclusion that it is fixed.
Try it out. My thoughts are that seagate cheaped out on the enclosure electronics which cause it to recycle the drive for some unknown. Anyways, giver a try and let me know. I'll keep you up to date on any issues. Cheers.
Oh, and down with seagate!!! I hates em.
OK, update number 1, disk no longer clicks. However, it still has the stutter. Drive searches maddly and stops flow of info untill it seem to have wound down a bit and starts up with the task at hand.
Who knows, I've already spent more time on this than I should, gonna buy a replacment. Any suggestions on a better brand?
m
l
June 14, 2010 2:14:46 AM

western digital YAYYYYY!!!!
m
l
June 14, 2010 10:42:45 AM

I find it funny in the past (90's, early '00s) I was a Maxtor/Seagate guy. I recently had a Seagate 640 GB drive as my main drive with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed. One day I go to boot up, never gets past the windows loading screen. I try multiple times - no go. Finally, I attempt to recover my install - unfortunately unlike being able to overwrite the corrupt Windows XP install the Vista install I managed to do formatted the drive...so I lost all my data. I was mad but all was well.

So here I am a few months later, same deal is happening again. This time I was PO'ed even more. I saved my data, and began to suspect the hard drive. I ran SeaTools...drive was FUBARed - constantly failed the self tests that affirmed to me that I needed to send the drive in for a replacement. I began to read reviews all over the net talking about Seagate drive failures. Even on my Craigslist I see lots of Refurb Seagate drives for sale...I had to RMA the drive and they sent back a 750 GB in it's place. I did not want to use it...I ended up buying a 500 GB Western Digital Black Label drive - haven't had a problem since. I ended up selling that 750 GB drive on Craigslist...which is probably why all the other Refurb models are on there - no one who had to return a drive wants another Seagate!!

Even when the Seagate failed, I had an older 320 GB Western Digital drive I had been using that was as reliable as ever. After my bad experience with Seagate and seeing how many people have bad drives...I will NEVER buy a Seagate drive again. I think it's funny though as I used to tell people how bad Western Digital drives were (and they did use to be) - I had so many that got the click of death. Funny how things change, now Seagate owns Maxtor and both have had reliability issues and Western Digital has great quality drives now.

I've never sworn off a brand like this, but Seagate has given me too much reason to distrust them anymore. Every drive they make has too many people reporting failures - they are simply not to be trusted anymore. But then again, Seagate doesn't even make 10k RPM drives so Western Digital owns most of that market - they're losing ground in the market to Samsung and other manufacturers. Seriously, Western Digital is the only hard drive I'll ever buy from now on - I do not trust Samsung, Hitachi, or any other manufacturer. Look at the number of people in this thread having the SAME problem...because Seagate quality sucks, they have let quality control fly right out the door. I had an old Western Digital 100 GB in my previous computer and it still worked great when I sold it, the 80 GB Seagate backup drive in it however was noisy - but still worked fine. Again, Seagate has worn all chances they deserve to be given IMO...
m
l
July 21, 2010 4:24:37 AM

Here's my wonderful story:

100536501 REV A
Barracuda 7200.12 1000 Gbytes
ST31000528AS
Firmware CC34
Date Code: 09384

Bought this drive about a year ago I'd say. All was fine until tonight, wife comes to me says she smells something...I go in and click....click....click....click

******* drive failed. I have an Antec 600+ watt power supply and it runs about 4 other drives so not an issue here.

No clue wtf to do now...I guess I'll spend hours trying to find the same PCB board.

Seagate is a pile. I will no longer buy their drives after seeing all the complaints on the 7200 series. They are built cheap and with cheap engineering. Now what go back to Western Digital after I ditched them a few years ago due to their damn problems? Who knows...hard drives in general just suck these days...built cheaply. It's not what it used to be. Companies want designs out the door (run and design) rather than build in quality and I guess this is what we have to deal with, their ignorance.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 3:47:22 PM

ST32000542AS
Seagate BARRACUDA LP drive
5900-RPM SATA
2000 GB

Same problem here, clicking started after about 2 or 3 weeks.

To be perfectly honest the amount of trouble I have to go to to return this drive and have it packed correctly considering it was sent to me by a massive reputable retailer in "warranty voiding" bubble wrap, I don't know if its worth it. Think I might just send it back in the bubble wrap and if they void the warranty I'll just take my business elsewhere. Having the drive replaced with one that's just going to start doing the same thing sounds like more trouble than it's worth anyway.

The comment above about Seagate just losing business from this sums it up perfectly I think, I buy many drives and suggest many many more to others who come to me for PC advice, no more Seagate for me thanks.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2010 12:59:31 AM

Wow, what a mess. Yep, another clicker here, though mine seemed to last six months or so. Has been clicking and halting or slowing the system for a few days, and it now clicks from boot, and Windows fails to load.

Their web site doesn't seem to recognize my serial number/part number combination -- I wonder if it's an innocent mistake or they're trying to make it more difficult/frustrating to get RMAs in order to discourage people (not an unknown behavior).

Anyway... fluck. For the record, I bought mine from Fry's Electronics in the San Fernando Valley, California, on discount. Bah.
m
l
!