Where can I get a 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB SATA SSD for $50 or less?

sub mesa

Distinguished
I seen things like these:

Elecom-nanoSSD-ESD-IDSAA-SSD-plugs-directly-to-SATA-port.jpg

But you should know that these are very bad for overall system disk; you'll have freezes and such; sometimes longer than 1 second. This is because small writes require an intelligent controller, or they will take a very long time (read-erase-program cycles).

So if you're looking for performance; the first thing you should look at is the controller. If you just want a read-only tiny flash disk for specific purposes, these will do fine. Also note that the wear leveling techniques are very basic, and the write amplification of these SSDs is very high (which is bad).

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

I'm actually planning to pair a fanless atom 330 with an SSD for a silent computer. So I'm sure an SLC SSD is what I should use. If that doesn't work out, I may end up searching for one of those SSD netbooks. Are they MLC or SLC?

sub mesa

Distinguished
SLC memory is usually more expensive, but it would allow a small 8-16GB disk to be a viable option for a desktop system drive. Its prefered over the 'bad' cheap MLC SSDs without a good controller. So:

Worst option: cheap MLC SSD without an advanced controller
Good option: cheap SLC SSD no larger than 16GB without an advanced controller
Best option: MLC SSD with good controller (Intel, Indilinx)

The performance of an SSD relies heavily on the controller used; without a good controller, MLC SSD performs very bad. With SLC memory you can get away with a bad or simple controller.