2 DVI ports - 360 + PC?

Manntis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I used to use a data switch to easily swap between my 360 and PC. However, the quality was bad and text was often very blurred. I recently switched to a direct HDMI connection between my PC and monitor, and the quality is great. As a result, my 360 has been collecting dust because it's a pain to have to switch all the cables back and forth. Is there any sort of 3rd party program or some option where I can plug my 360 VGA cable into my 2nd DVI port on the video card and switch between my PC and 360? I've never seen anything that could do this, but it's worth asking people who actually know. Thanks in advance.

-And just in case there's any confusion, this is exactly what I meant by data switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817196027

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
basically, no. Most video cards have two dvi outputs and what you are looking for is a dvi input for you 360. I haven't seen one of those and no software that I know of would change those facts.

the data switch you are linked to in your post was for a vga connection, I don't know but maybe if you found one for dvi or Hdmi you would have better luck

Manntis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Yeah, I didn't think so. I could buy an HDMI data switch for around $40, but because my 360 is an older model, I would have to spend another $90 for an HDMI conversion kit. Oh well, thanks for the help.

-Is there any sort of switch that has both HDMI and VGA ports? I tried looking for one, but I don't even think they exist.

And last question, my monitor has an HDMI input and a VGA input. Is it possible to connect them both to the monitor, and switch between them there?

blerb

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Yes. If your monitor has 2 ports, than it will work. There should be a button on your monitor to change between the 2 ports - it may say something like source or input on it.

Manntis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Well, I've got them both hooked up, and I can't find any buttons to switch between them. I'm think I'm just SOL here.