IS THE SERVICE SETTING FOR VOLSNAP MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello,I am running XP on a Dell Dimension 4600 with 2mb ram and 111gb hard disc.My computer stops booting after line Partmgr.sys. Using Bart Pe I scanned the hard drive, found and deleted Sasser.Using the Xp Cd I scanned the hard drive in detail but no errors and did a repair from XP disc.I thought it might be Volume Shadow Copy which should come next on boot list so I disabled this service but no luck. I have backed up and
am really running out of options. I do not want to clean install. Your help appreciated.

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Booting in safe mode stops after loading partmgr.sys.
The xp cd repair did not change anything, symptoms still remain.

I did a full Dell diagnostics test and it passed this.
However I managed to access the boot log using the cd.

The 1st item not to load is: driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC .

At my disposal I have Xp CD, Ultimate Boot CD, ERD Commander.
Thanks.

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Yes I have run chkdisk and Dell diagnostics no errors.
I will try swopping the ram.
Thanks.

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Yes I was looking at that option but at the moment I do not know how its done from a non-booting system.

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks, but on this pc it is F2. The Bios version is A02 and those options
are not available. Its quite basic from what I see.

maxvimana

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Alas I have tried that too.
I have not run fixmbr. Is it worth a try?
If it was an old car I'd scrap it but some programs etc. I would like to keep that are not on cd.
I have backed up again already using Fab's Autobackup. If re-installation is eventually the only option which of these other backup/cloning programs would you recommend:
Driveimage XML
RawCopy
NT Backup
Image Maker
Copywipe
SelfImage

Thanks.

I don't think it's the boot files, but it's worth trying. Try running the following:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

I've never used any of those, so I can't give you a good or bad recommendation for any of those. I can tell you that norton ghost, and Acronis true image are both very good.