Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Decide between Q6600 and Phenom X4 9850 Black

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 4, 2008 12:34:50 AM

Hello.

This machine is going to be used as a Rendering Node only (ie FAST/Multi Core CPU and RAM) for 3DS Max. I'm looking for the best performance/price with the following:

Option 1:

I have a spare Asus M2M-VM HDMI motherboard and 2x1GB Sticks of PC-6400 Corsair RAM and 2x1GB sticks of PC-6400 Patriot RAM. All I need to buy is the Phenom 9850 and OC hopefully to 3.0ghz. Price CAD $264



Option 2:

Buy a New Q6600 OC to 3.0 GHZ, 2 - Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 EPP Dual Channel Memory Kit, & Gigabyte EP45-DS3R ATX LGA775 P45 2PCI-E16 2PCI CrossFireX SATA2 RAID Sound 2XGLAN 1394A Motherboard. Price CAD $576


I'm trying to decide if the extra $312 is going to help me out with this rendering node. For option 2 I have added an extra 4GB of RAM which is VERY useful for rendering and in regards to the MOB, I was going to use this new one and swap my Gigabyte P35C-DS3R to be used as the rendering node MOB and the EP45 will be used in my gaming machine.



What do you guys think I should do for this rendering node?

August 4, 2008 12:43:09 AM

Most people are looking for the best performance/price. Option 1 will save you a fair bit of money, however, I dont think youre going to get much of an overclock out of that motherboard. Ive buit two systems using those boards, and they are not particularly 'feature rich'

#2 will give probably give you a fair decrease in render times depending how far you choose to overclock it, but whether it is enough to justify the extra outlay in cash is going to based on your opinion.

IMO, were I in your position, I would give option 1 a try.
August 4, 2008 12:55:29 AM

I would go with the Q6600, an Asus PQ5-pro, with 4gb of G-skill ddr2 1000. It will allow you some more headroom for overclocking. Cas latency speeds, within reason, do not have much of an effect on core 2 performance compared to an AMD system. The p5q-pro has 8 phase power vs the 6 phase of the Gigabyte board which will help with vdroop and help you achieve a more stable overclock. You can get all of those together for around CAS $480 on NCIX before shipping. Also getting a phenom to 3.0ghz is kind of a crapshoot. Q6600 is pretty much a given with just about any decent board.
Related resources
August 4, 2008 1:02:02 AM

I don't get the OPs Math?

#1 - If he Already has the DDR2 RAM for the Phenom, Use the same ram for the Q6600. Should not be hard.

#2 - If he has a "Spare Mobo", just sell it. Also, the P35-DS3L is much cheaper and also quite a bit cheaper.

Perhaps a $50-$75 difference in my book.
August 4, 2008 1:03:00 AM

I have both of those processors. The q6600 overclocks a hell of a lot easier, hits 3.2 no problems. The 9850 hard to keep stable at 2.8(maybe a bum chip). IMO go for option 2 just for the sake that you won't regret it
August 4, 2008 1:07:42 AM

zenmaster said:
I don't get the OPs Math?

#1 - If he Already has the DDR2 RAM for the Phenom, Use the same ram for the Q6600. Should not be hard.

#2 - If he has a "Spare Mobo", just sell it. Also, the P35-DS3L is much cheaper and also quite a bit cheaper.

Perhaps a $50-$75 difference in my book.



Yea the DS3L is a nice motherboard and would allow for 3.0 with a q6600. The OP intends on using the new board to game, and so probably wants the 2 pci-e slots that the P45's provide. He is going to have one system for his work and one for gaming.
August 4, 2008 1:15:53 AM

as much as i'd like to recommend amd, the phenom isn't the chip to buy if you're starting from scratch. it'll make a good upgrade from an athlon x2, but it can't even hold a candle to a core 2 quad.
August 4, 2008 1:35:44 AM

+1 for Q6600
August 4, 2008 1:56:41 AM

+2 Q6600 Will last you a long time
a c 96 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 2:02:20 AM

Find a Phenom 9600BE and bump the multi as high as it will go at stock volts (okayyyy ... maybe a little bump in voltage).

If you aren't man enough for that - :p  - snag a Phenom 9750.

I got a 9600be on the cheap from the Egg (coming soon to you!) and have been pounding on it for 3 weeks at 2.7GHz. No worries so far and running beyond expectations ...
a c 123 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 2:05:56 AM

Well if you are truly wanting to hit 3GHz then a Q6600 will get there with no problem. And considering that your chances of a G0 stepping are almost 100% its s no go.

I can't say the same for a 9850BE unless you have great luck and the mobo wants to or you have the SB750 mobo which you do not.
August 4, 2008 3:03:47 AM

Hard for me to say as far as it being only used for rendering.

At stock, both chips fair even.

Iffy on the OC'ing though. Which would depend on how well he can OC the chip.

I'd guess it would be more based on the money, what he is willing to spend.

If he's willing to wait for the chipset that has the SB750, how much more will he have to spend for it? Or how will that affect the over all price?
a c 123 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 3:33:49 AM

No idea about pricing yt. But if it truly does allow better OCs then I would expect them to be only in the same price range as the Intel X38/X48 chipsets.
August 4, 2008 3:39:28 AM

The other thing about OC'ing the Phenom...

Do most of the guys that have Phenom setups OC manually in the bios, or the software in windows from AMD?
a c 106 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 3:54:55 AM

Yeah, as Zenmaster said, that same RAM can be used for a Q6600. If this rendering is a business endeavor, I'm not sure how much futzing with OCing makes sense. Intel is the better choice. Will your software benefit now (or in a near-term release) from the SSE4 instructions in the new quads? If so, perhaps a Q9xxx is the one to get.
I'm guessing here that the OP wants option #2 but the bean counters want option #1. Well, #2 will be a LOT faster than #1. It is for you to figure out if the job will become sufficiently more demanding that #1 will no longer be able to keep up. Since that 3.0 OC is not a sure thing by any stretch, for that purpose compare them at stock. If this is the issue, I hope you prevail.
a c 123 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 3:57:47 AM

Grimmy said:
The other thing about OC'ing the Phenom...

Do most of the guys that have Phenom setups OC manually in the bios, or the software in windows from AMD?


I would think a ture OCer would use the BIOS. But a lot of the AMD people here talk about AMD Overdrive. I still don't trust it with OCing to say the least.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 4:08:23 AM

Q6600 would be the way to go, until newer boards come out for the 750 AMD chipset. I would keep the ram you have and get a cheaper intel board, and these guys are right, this will keep you satisfied for some time.

The only reason to go for the phenom is if you prefer AMD getting your money over intel, the board you currently have will not unlock the potential of the phenom. And 3Ghz is a stretch for the phenom. 3g for a q6600 is pretty much a given.
August 4, 2008 4:10:25 AM

When I was building my last machine, my decision to go with the Intel platform came down to the history of Intel sticking with the same socket for so many years. I was so sick and tired of all my AMD machines needing a new Motherboard and Memory every time I decided to upgrade. Socket A, Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+. I'm not saying that Intel hasn't changed CPU sockets, but they've been using the same one since the P4 days and that was appealing to me. I'm comforted to know that my x38 board will be able to handle a few upgrades when I'm ready.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 4:12:26 AM

yep, bios overclocking is almost always more reliable than software in my experience. It might depend on the limitations of the bios options though, cheaper boards have less features, etc.
August 4, 2008 4:14:57 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I would think a ture OCer would use the BIOS. But a lot of the AMD people here talk about AMD Overdrive. I still don't trust it with OCing to say the least.

Same, I don't trust software overclocks unless its for gfx cards.
August 4, 2008 4:17:23 AM

wrugoin said:
When I was building my last machine, my decision to go with the Intel platform came down to the history of Intel sticking with the same socket for so many years. I was so sick and tired of all my AMD machines needing a new Motherboard and Memory every time I decided to upgrade. Socket A, Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+. I'm not saying that Intel hasn't changed CPU sockets, but they've been using the same one since the P4 days and that was appealing to me. I'm comforted to know that my x38 board will be able to handle a few upgrades when I'm ready.

True, but intel also has a tendency to switch chipsets, meaning new processors can't be used on older boards.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 4:17:42 AM

I guess you're right about that, I bought my crosshair baord a year ago thinking I had an upgrade path for phenom. little did I know that I would be severely hampered by the 590 sli chipset. Then asus forums are full of disappointed crosshair users who can't get their phenoms to run at rated speed, much less oc.
August 4, 2008 4:36:52 AM

Onus said:
Yeah, as Zenmaster said, that same RAM can be used for a Q6600. If this rendering is a business endeavor, I'm not sure how much futzing with OCing makes sense. Intel is the better choice. Will your software benefit now (or in a near-term release) from the SSE4 instructions in the new quads? If so, perhaps a Q9xxx is the one to get.
I'm guessing here that the OP wants option #2 but the bean counters want option #1. Well, #2 will be a LOT faster than #1. It is for you to figure out if the job will become sufficiently more demanding that #1 will no longer be able to keep up. Since that 3.0 OC is not a sure thing by any stretch, for that purpose compare them at stock. If this is the issue, I hope you prevail.


While it is safe to say the Q6600 will be faster than the Phenom, use of the adjective "LOT" to describe the difference is highly questionable. THG does not have benchmarks for the 9850, however, benchmarks for the ill-fated 9700 show it to be 9% slower than the Q6600 at stock speeds. Presumably the 9850 Z which at 2.5GHz is 100MHz faster than the 2.4GHz 9700 should render better results.

Depending on the complexity and volume of the material the OP is going to render, the money expended on the Q6600 system may not be worth the few seconds saved, or it may. It depends on the OPs opinion.

P9700 vs Q6600 in 3DSmax 9 rendering





While I have seen no tests in 3DSmax yet, tests in cinebench put the 9850 close to the 6600 in rendering (at stock clockspeeds)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/682/8/



http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/AMD_Phenom_X4_9850_B3_Revision/?page=6



Obviously, overclocked results will favor the Q6600, and comparing the known reliability of the C2Qs to the inderterminant results of the B3 Phenoms, should the OP decide to push as far as he stabley can, (which he said he was not going to do) the results should much better with the Q, through sheer clockspeed.
August 4, 2008 5:11:50 AM

Grimmy said:
The other thing about OC'ing the Phenom...

Do most of the guys that have Phenom setups OC manually in the bios, or the software in windows from AMD?


Well, due to my experiences with earlier versions of AOD I am unwilling to touch it at the moment. Maybe after I get an SB750 board. But, otherwise I OC the good old fashioned way, through the bios. If you were running a k9a2 plat, I could even recommend which bios's to go with to get the best performance and OCing results. Bios P.0J for stable core OCing with Auto detect voltage setting. Or bios 1.1b3 for balls to the wall OCing ability of everything you want to, possibly release bios 1.2 with a b3 phenom, as it has the same OC options as 1.1b3, but had the TLB fix enabled, without option to disable, 9600be easily hit 2.7 at under stock voltage on that bios. Only problem with 1.1b3 and 1.2 is they don't have built in support for DDR2 1066 memory.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 5:49:41 AM

snipster4 said:

Option 1:

I have a spare Asus M2M-VM HDMI motherboard and 2x1GB Sticks of PC-6400 Corsair RAM and 2x1GB sticks of PC-6400 Patriot RAM. All I need to buy is the Phenom 9850 and OC hopefully to 3.0ghz. Price CAD $264



Looking here under your motherboard at ASUS under CPU support

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

I don't see your board listed as supporting the Phenom X4 9850 BE CPU.
Also check the revision number on your board to see if it will take any Phenom processor.

August 4, 2008 7:36:03 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!

As far as my thoughts on buying NEW ram with my Q6600 as wells as the MOB, I figured if I have to buy an Intel chip with MOB I may as well put a little extra cash it to upgrade my Gaming/Rendering machine with Dual PCI-E plus the added RAM that is needed for rendering large scenes. They way I think is either I spend a little or I spend a lot there is no inbetween ie use old RAM with new Q6600 and New MOB

My current gaming/rendering machine is a Q6600 OC to 3.2ghz and its upper fast, but I was thinking if I just got the Phenom and OC it with my current hardware as stated above I could get close to the performance as my Q6600 @ 3.2ghz for rendering.

My big problem is my Q6600 takes 2min to render a frame and my other 3 computers (all X2 4400 939) take 10min each to render the same scene. If I can get this Phenom CPU and it takes 3min to render than that's GREAT! But if it takes 4min or more than whats the point, my Q6600 will render more that 50% of the animation and I'm trying to reduce the amount of work on my Current gaming machine so I can actually game on it instead of waiting for it to finish rendering.


What type of realistic speed do you think is possible from the Phenom and my current RAM/MOB? How do you think it'll compare in rendering times?


Thanks
August 4, 2008 7:42:03 AM

jj463rd said:
Looking here under your motherboard at ASUS under CPU support

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

I don't see your board listed as supporting the Phenom X4 9850 BE CPU.
Also check the revision number on your board to see if it will take any Phenom processor.



I didn't even think of this. I'll have to check my rev number for my current AM2 board. Is there a big difference between 9850 vs 9750 will I just have to wait for a BIOS update or will it be something more hardware related to enable it?
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 8:00:34 AM

snipster4 said:
I didn't even think of this. I'll have to check my rev number for my current AM2 board. Is there a big difference between 9850 vs 9750 will I just have to wait for a BIOS update or will it be something more hardware related to enable it?



Well Turpit, they cant say your biased towards Intel when your recommending a AMD..

The Q6600 has gone down in price by about £30 over here, I can get them for a touch under £100 plus tax..

I will say that having installed and used both 9850 and a Q6600, the Q6600 is a lot less bother and with the right cooler reaches 3.4 easy...


On top of that the 6600 will run applications quick due to its double "cheeseburger design" which works better with the current generation of applications and games..

I would love to say buy AMD but as your board doesnt support it anyway move on and get a board with a bit more leg room for upgradability... ie a Gigabyte with a 1600MHz bus speed.
August 4, 2008 8:20:44 AM

snipster4 said:
Thanks everyone for your input!

As far as my thoughts on buying NEW ram with my Q6600 as wells as the MOB, I figured if I have to buy an Intel chip with MOB I may as well put a little extra cash it to upgrade my Gaming/Rendering machine with Dual PCI-E plus the added RAM that is needed for rendering large scenes.

My current gaming/rendering machine is a Q6600 OC to 3.2ghz and its upper fast, but I was thinking if I just got the Phenom and OC it with my current hardware as stated above I could get close to the performance as my Q6600 @ 3.2ghz for rendering.

My big problem is my Q6600 takes 2min to render a frame and my other 3 computers (all X2 4400 939) take 10min each to render the same scene. If I can get this Phenom CPU and it takes 3min to render than that's GREAT! But if it takes 4min or more than whats the point, my Q6600 will render more that 50% of the animation and I'm trying to reduce the amount of work on my Current gaming machine so I can actually game on it instead of waiting for it to finish rendering.


What type of realistic speed do you think is possible from the Phenom and my current RAM/MOB? How do you think it'll compare in rendering times?


Thanks



I cant speak for the mobo/ram combo, but based on the limited benchmarks available for the B3 9850, it should be about 11~15% slower than the Q6600 clock for clock. If you can get the 9850 to 3.0GHz, at 11~15% slower clock for clock, it should render under 3 minutes. Thats assuming it handles 3DSmax the same as it handles cinebench relative to the Q6600. If thats an accurate assumption, disallowing any bottlenecking in the mobo/ram, it should take about 2.5 minutes to 2.7 minutes to render compared to the 2 minutes of the Q6600 @3.2GHz. There are a lot of 'ifs' to those calculations though.


My advice at this point, wait a little longer for more benchmarks to come out. Hopefully it wont be to long until a reliable range of 3DSmax benchmarks for the 9850 come out with which you should be able to compare to the Q6600 for an accurate assessment. Really a question of how much the savings are worth to you. If the money is not important, then it would seem you could skip the wait and buy the Q6600 system. If the money is important, waiting a little longer may not be a bad option.
August 4, 2008 8:28:28 AM

If you dont intend to OC then go with the q9300 as chache size has no effect on rendering times.
August 4, 2008 8:31:02 AM

Hellboy said:
Well Turpit, they cant say your biased towards Intel when your recommending a AMD..

The Q6600 has gone down in price by about £30 over here, I can get them for a touch under £100 plus tax..

I will say that having installed and used both 9850 and a Q6600, the Q6600 is a lot less bother and with the right cooler reaches 3.4 easy...


On top of that the 6600 will run applications quick due to its double "cheeseburger design" which works better with the current generation of applications and games..

I would love to say buy AMD but as your board doesnt support it anyway move on and get a board with a bit more leg room for upgradability... ie a Gigabyte with a 1600MHz bus speed.



I seem to remember that being one of the 2 boards that actually supported the Phenom in the test THG did, but I cant fin the article
August 4, 2008 8:32:44 AM

Bang for buck the AMD would be a good option prolly not as fast as your Q6600. Now a new Q6600 would be at the same speed as your other current Q6600 rig or better.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 11:07:20 AM

turpit said:
I seem to remember that being one of the 2 boards that actually supported the Phenom in the test THG did, but I cant fin the article



I googled and boogled, and have come up with nothing...

As I have not got a M2M-VM HDMI, i will not comment on it... But I will say, if your going to go the Phenom route, dont just plug it in untill there is ( and if ) a bios for it and flash it before you install it just in case. Phenoms have been a bit fragile and had some returns...

If your really favoured to a Phenom, get a new board with the 790FX chipset..
a c 123 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 2:46:59 PM

There is no M2M-VM HDMI listed but there is a M2N-VM HDMI listed so I am thinking that that has to be the one he meant.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?mode...

This mobo only shows support for up to a 9750 with no support for a 9850BE listed. That is unless there is a M2M-VM HDMI that I cannot find.
August 4, 2008 5:45:53 PM

jimmysmitty said:
There is no M2M-VM HDMI listed but there is a M2N-VM HDMI listed so I am thinking that that has to be the one he meant.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?mode...

This mobo only shows support for up to a 9750 with no support for a 9850BE listed. That is unless there is a M2M-VM HDMI that I cannot find.



Easy way to find out. OP can email ASUS support
a c 123 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 8:31:17 PM

^I guess so. Its just weird that there is a model that is not listed on Asus website unless thats a barebone. Hmm... Let me do a bit more searching.

Nevermind. Searched everything and found nothing. I did try Google but all the references were from 2007, early 2007 at that.

OP check your mobo model number because I cannot find it anywhere.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 9:33:46 PM

jimmysmitty said:
There is no M2M-VM HDMI listed but there is a M2N-VM HDMI listed so I am thinking that that has to be the one he meant.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?mode...

This mobo only shows support for up to a 9750 with no support for a 9850BE listed. That is unless there is a M2M-VM HDMI that I cannot find.




Well it does exist.. its got a amd 690g

the M2N-VM - HDMI is almost the same but has Nvidia chipset

I am looking around and the Asus M2A-VM HDMI is a AMD 690G chipset motherboard too..

I am sure that Asus replaced the M for a A to show for reference it was a AMD chipset...



August 4, 2008 10:16:33 PM

go q6600 or q9300, i wouldnt blink before getting that.
August 4, 2008 10:47:37 PM

Sorry M2A-VM HDMI is what I have. 690g chipset onboard graphics with HDMI out.


If I do go for the Q6600 and stay with my old RAM for know what MOB should I get that will be able to OC this CPU to at least 3.0Ghz? If prices are within reason in getting a new motherboard that supports crossfire (to be used with my gaming machine) I would be interested in the options I have.

I have looked for boards but everything that I was thinking I needed was in the $250-$300 range, that's why I was thinking about just getting the Phenom. If I can get a board for $100 that will OC this Q6600 to 3.0 GHZ MIN. then I would like to know what it is.

a c 96 à CPUs
August 5, 2008 12:47:33 AM

snipster4 said:
Sorry M2A-VM HDMI is what I have. 690g chipset onboard graphics with HDMI out.


If I do go for the Q6600 and stay with my old RAM for know what MOB should I get that will be able to OC this CPU to at least 3.0Ghz? If prices are within reason in getting a new motherboard that supports crossfire (to be used with my gaming machine) I would be interested in the options I have.

I have looked for boards but everything that I was thinking I needed was in the $250-$300 range, that's why I was thinking about just getting the Phenom. If I can get a board for $100 that will OC this Q6600 to 3.0 GHZ MIN. then I would like to know what it is.


Budget CrossFire - MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX: $104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 x PCIe Gen2 x16 (x8x8 or x16x16 'Gen1')

'Quad' CrossFireX - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX: $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4 x PCIe Gen2 x16 (x8x8x8x8 or x16x16 'Gen2')

Generation2 PCIe x16 has twice the bandwidth of Gen1 PCIe x16

(or wait for the 790FX w/sb750 coming out in a week or so)

It's your lucky day ...

Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX w/sb750: $128
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Biostar 790gx w/sb750 is $100.
a c 123 à CPUs
August 5, 2008 2:49:04 AM

If you go the Q6600 route then 2 mobos come to my mind for the best OCing for the best buck

The Gigabyte DS3L is a fave amongst people:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its only $84.99 Or you could get the newer P45 version thats $107.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And it has PCI-E 2.0 amongst other features

Or the Asus P5K-E like I have is always a great choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its a bit more for $149.99 but the quality from my experience is great and OCing is very easy.

Last choice would be a newer Asus P45 based P5Q mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its $139.99 but has 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots.

Add up with a Q6600 for $194.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Q6600 + P35-DS3L: $279.99
Q6600 + P45-DS3L: $302.98
Q6600 + P5K-E WiFi/AP: $344.98
Q6600 + P5Q Pro: $334.98

On either of these mobo/CPU combos I have listed OCing will be very easy.

I do see that your current mobo does support the 9850BE but as turpit said OCing will not be as easy.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?mode...

And for that SB750 mobo thats cheap. I was expecting them to charge a bit more since it should allow better OCing.
August 5, 2008 4:52:26 AM

What a pain it was to find this....I had to go through google.

Here is the test of the Asus M2A-VM HDMI (AMD690G)

If the M2A-VM HDMI will run the 9750 as stated by Asus, I suspect it will run the 9850, so I wouldnt consider that a roadblock
a c 123 à CPUs
August 5, 2008 4:55:48 AM

^The Asus site has CPU support for the M2A-VM HDMI (I linked it above) and it does show support for the 9850BE.
August 5, 2008 5:19:50 AM

Wisecracker said:
Budget CrossFire - MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX: $104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 x PCIe Gen2 x16 (x8x8 or x16x16 'Gen1')

'Quad' CrossFireX - MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX: $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4 x PCIe Gen2 x16 (x8x8x8x8 or x16x16 'Gen2')

Generation2 PCIe x16 has twice the bandwidth of Gen1 PCIe x16

(or wait for the 790FX w/sb750 coming out in a week or so)

It's your lucky day ...

Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX w/sb750: $128
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Biostar 790gx w/sb750 is $100.


Mmm, good thing I got another $400 quarterly bonus coming up here in the next 3 weeks :) . 790gx/fx +sb 750 here I come.
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2008 7:32:33 AM

jimmysmitty said:
If you go the Q6600 route then 2 mobos come to my mind for the best OCing for the best buck

The Gigabyte DS3L is a fave amongst people:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its only $84.99 Or you could get the newer P45 version thats $107.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And it has PCI-E 2.0 amongst other features

Or the Asus P5K-E like I have is always a great choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its a bit more for $149.99 but the quality from my experience is great and OCing is very easy.

Last choice would be a newer Asus P45 based P5Q mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its $139.99 but has 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots.

Add up with a Q6600 for $194.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Q6600 + P35-DS3L: $279.99
Q6600 + P45-DS3L: $302.98
Q6600 + P5K-E WiFi/AP: $344.98
Q6600 + P5Q Pro: $334.98

On either of these mobo/CPU combos I have listed OCing will be very easy.

I do see that your current mobo does support the 9850BE but as turpit said OCing will not be as easy.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?mode...

And for that SB750 mobo thats cheap. I was expecting them to charge a bit more since it should allow better OCing.


Just one thing people maybe overlooking is that his current board is a micro atx...

Everyones asuming he can have a full size board....... Just thought I would add just incase..

Anyway go for a Phenom 9850.. It will fit in your board and will do wonders for the likes of BM and Thunderpants etc etc.

Also has TC gone away, I havent been noticing him lately
a c 96 à CPUs
August 5, 2008 12:25:34 PM

Mathos said:
Mmm, good thing I got another $400 quarterly bonus coming up here in the next 3 weeks :) . 790gx/fx +sb 750 here I come.


LOL. I think The Egg jumped the shark. They took down the 3 sb750 motherboards they had listed.

But they missed the Gigabyte 790gx ....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm gonna jump on the 790fx with sb750 but will first probably sell my MSI K9A2 Platinum. I hope I'm not backin' up - lol.
August 5, 2008 9:28:03 PM

Yea If I need to buy a motherboard I won't be buying the AM2 with Phenom. If I can use my current MOB with this new Phenom and OC it as much as possible I will go that route.

Currently on NCIX.com (this is where I shop, cant shop at newegg, ie live in CANADA) the Phenom is $264 and the Q6600 is $224 (it was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $199). I'm starting to lean more towards the Q6600.

What socket 775 MOB do you guys recommended for OC and possibly have Crossfire (ie I would use the NEW Crossfire board for my gaming machine)?

Is P45 boards something I should be looking at or should I spend a little more to get true crossfire with an X38/X48 for future AMD HD 4850/4870 cards?
a c 123 à CPUs
August 6, 2008 12:52:41 AM

^Your current mobo does support the 9850BE. Look at my above post it has a link to Asus CPU support for your mobo.

For a Q6600 system you can get the Asus P5Q Pro that has 2 full x16 PCI-E 2.0 lanes for $154.40 CAD

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30418&vpn=P5...

Thats not a bad deal considering it will OC very nicely and let you do true CF 4850/4850.
August 6, 2008 6:24:05 PM

That P5Q Pro only seems to have 8x for PCI-E in crossfire mode which I think would still be fine for CF 4850/4870 cards?
!