• Nvidia
  • Asus
  • Monitors
  • Samsung
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2008 6:40:05 AM

I'm having a little trouble deciding which monitor to go with? I can get both for relatively the same price. I want to get the best monitor for gaming purposes (dual monitor setup). I'll be using a Geforce 9800 GX2.

Asus Mk221h
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

Samsung T220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the help.

More about : samsung t220 asus mk221h

October 28, 2008 2:07:54 PM

Hi, I just purchased the Samsung MK221H 22" LCD monitor from Asus, as part of a system build for a client, I've been doing a test with it on my PC to see how it is for gaming. I'm running an E8400 Processor 3ghz oc'd to 3.25 Ghz, DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 memory, and i'm also using a EVGA 9800 GX2 and dual boot with Windows XP pro and Vista Ultimate x64

Do not buy this monitor for gaming. There can be noticable image tearing in some games more than others depending on how many frame rates you get. For example. with Flight simulator X, everything on Ultrahigh at the native resolution of 1680x1050, there are noticeable shakiness and image tearing when looking around inside the cockpit, or banking plane around. Maybe it's enhanced do to the low frame rates (18 - 30) i'm getting do to having the details all maxed out. I absolutely have no problems with image quality blurring or tearing when connected to my 21" CRT.

The image tearing is there as well in games like Crysis FEAR, though not as noticeable as in Flight simulator but still definitely there. And I'm getting well over 80fps in Crysis in WinXP on High Settings and no AA at 1680x1050 resolution. With Vsynch turned on it helps improve the slight image tearing problem, though it reduces my frame rates to between 50 and 60fps.

For everything else, general computer usage, watching high definition video, etc. this monitor is fabulous, has stunning clarity and great picture quality. For a high end picky gamer like myself, try a different monitor or you may be disappointed with the image tearing problems.
October 29, 2008 1:15:42 PM

yea i would pick the samsung myself. Much better contrast and a better vertical refresh, (if only slight). Its hard tho cos the asus one does look pretty. i have two asus monitors myself and to be honest they are not great, bought them more for thier price than their performance. In future i will be going for more well known compnaies such as LG, seems to be a safe bet interms of screens.
!