brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
So for a year or so I've had a Biostar Geforce AM2 board and I figured it was time for an upgrade. Got a XFX 780i, but that's not the point. A little while ago I got a CM Hyper TX2 for the CPU to make sure I had it before I got my XFX board and E8400. So I went to take off the standard AMD heatsink to try out the Hyper TX2, and (this isn't the first time) the processor came off too, literally almost glued there by the thermal paste. So of course I tried to get it off, and I eventually ended up slipping a razor blade between the two and getting it off. That when I noticed 10 or so pins of the processor were bent. So I used the razor and some sewing needle to bend the pins back, but one of them just snapped. :cry: :cry: :cry: But I said " WTF why not " and I put it back together and IT WORKED!!!!!! I still have it, it's sitting in my basement for games like COD2, and incredibly low graphics COD4 (ATI x1300 pro) for when friends come over. It hasn't had any issues at all, well except for a bluescreen when I tried overclocking... but that's my story thanks for reading!

nzone

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
It was probably the pin that sends all of your file sharing information directly to the RIAA. I wonder which one it is on mine....

mrmez

Splendid
Hahaha.
Lucky.

In future... if u think an HSF may be difficult to seperate, run prime/orthos for a few hours, get it nice and toasty. Should be way easier to remove.
Also, heating cpu/pins with a hair drier etc can help the pins survive straightening.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
You're lucky! I recall when I built my very first computer I left the CPU out while I made some food and when I came back I found my cat had used it as a toy and mangled 5 or 6 pins; amazingly it still worked as well.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
You should have used a razor blade before you applied brutal force. On the other hand if it had been socket 775 the only pins to pull out would be on the motherboard so I guess you were lucky.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I did that with my Phenom...
I ripped it out the CPU socket, had to lever the CPU of the Heatsink. The CPU then fell of the Heatsink onto the floor from a dining table. I then got the old thermal compound over the pins whilst cleaning and then bent several trying to clean most of it off. Luckily the only thing it now won't do is OC, or even open up AMD overdrive.
I'll porbably for go my plan to upgrade to AM3 CPU on this Mobo, and just do a full system upgrade for Fusion.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Lol ive had that happen on a 949 socket before... i pulled off my 120mm cu zalman and there it was the cpu stuck to the heatsink lmao i used artic silver 5 and ya i was like WTF... I also had like one bent pin but i straightened it with needle nose pliers.

Great story though.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I use arctic cooling MX2 thermal compound and it's really easy to get off. Can't say the same about stock goop that intel/amd/nvidia use, those are a real pain to clean up.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, last year in like February when I build my computer I was a little noob and had no clue about anything rly and I did a lot of things wrong...this is payback to all the things that have gone wrong.

First of all I put the CPU in wrong, and bent two pins in the very middle of the processor, so I called up customer service ect, and got it returned saying it came like that, then the ram for that build came in dead, but besides that it was an ok first 400$ build.

Aevm: It was a corner pin if that helps and for the lottery count the number of pins on an A64 X2 and take that number -1 :)

Just gently twist the heatsink back and forth using minimal pressure until it seperates from the CPU housing. Pulling straight up on the heatsink when it's sealed like that is not going to break it loose. Do not use a razor blade to seperate the CPU from the heatsink.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I would heat the cpu heatsink with a hair dryer for a 30 seconds to a minute or turn on the computer for 5 minutes, then turn it off. Then proceed to remove the heatsink.

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

That didnt work though, I didnt use alot of force and I was trying to gently rock it and it came out. The Thermal compund had solidfied.

Next time Ill do it after running the CPU @ full for a bit.