Your question

Question about buying new Videocard

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 4, 2008 3:11:33 PM

I've been out of the loop for a long time. I moved away from PC Gaming and into the living room with my Xbox 360 a few years ago. Needless to say I now have no clue when it comes to hardware. I've been reading a lot lately, but I'm still finding it overwhelming.

Lately my PC has been acting slow enough that just playing around on the internet is a bit painful. So I picked up the Antec 900 Gaming case and I just have to fill it with a mobo and video card.

I'm wanting to spend around 200 bucks on a video card and here are a few I came across.

Would appreciate any feedback about brand/chipset/price/etc.

http://fxvideocards.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-8800-GTS-G92-512M...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course, if I'm totally going in the wrong direction, I'd like to know that as well. :) 

Thanks a lot.

Rocha

More about : question buying videocard

July 4, 2008 3:15:42 PM

get the first or last one your choice, those are the third best Nvidia gcards

out, look for the 9800gtx its better than those up their but im not sure

if its $200 or more, never looked at its price
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 3:18:49 PM

Go for HD 4850,its better than 8800GTS 512

Related resources
July 4, 2008 3:55:31 PM

+1 Radeon 4850
July 4, 2008 4:26:47 PM

I would honestly hold off for a couple weeks because NV simply has to start dropping prices. I heard the GTX 280 could well drop to $499. That means good things for everybody (except for me who bought the 280 at launch, but still no regrets if it does drop price like that). It also means a very affordable GTX 260. And who can rule out a possible ATI price drop as they don't want their thunder to be stolen. However, that is less likely, I think they are already selling their 4xxx cards for about as little as humanly possible, which had to be their marketing campaing to best Nv this time around.

As I've been saying. Won't be long at all before things really balance out, and you pretty much get what you pay for from either Nv or ATI. I personally think that it was dumb from a marketing standpoint what ATI did. They could of upped the price so much more on their 4xxx cards and still would have been the best bang for the buck, and also put a lot more money into the bank so that next time around they have more massive funds to put toward their next line.

Rather I think all they did this time around was give nvidia a wake up call rather than help their own cause. Which is good for Nv, they will really be on the ball next time around I'm sure, and know its probably time to break out the next leap in technology that you know that have in the bag.

But anyhow, at this point, if you want to go Nv, waiting could be very good. If you want to go ATI, maybe grab now, while you can. If Nv doesn't drop prices soon, or even if they do, who's to say that ATI won't raise prices knowing that they could easily charge more $$ for these cards.
July 4, 2008 4:41:38 PM

++++100% Radeon 4850+++++
July 4, 2008 4:46:17 PM

robx46 said:
I would honestly hold off for a couple weeks because NV simply has to start dropping prices. I heard the GTX 280 could well drop to $499. That means good things for everybody (except for me who bought the 280 at launch, but still no regrets if it does drop price like that). It also means a very affordable GTX 260. And who can rule out a possible ATI price drop as they don't want their thunder to be stolen. However, that is less likely, I think they are already selling their 4xxx cards for about as little as humanly possible, which had to be their marketing campaing to best Nv this time around.

There was an article yesterday on THG about nvidia dropping prices on the gtx2xx's but I really don't think they'll drop into your price range of $200. I'd say the 4850 is the best bet at this point. Get the 9800gtx if you're shooting for nvidia, but 4850 outperforms it.

The article about nvidia dropping prices: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ati-nvidia-geforce,5818.html

A recent gpu comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964-19.html

Note about the last article: There was one game (GRID) that the 4850 couldn't render, dropping it's avg framerate. Those tables should be a good guideline in which card you choose though since you didn't provide what games you play or the monitor you play with. You'll probably find the 9800gtx and the 4850 at similar prices so the decision is up to you, however I think the 4850 is better. I don't know how well either of these card overclock so hopefully someone else can help you there.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 4:55:03 PM

Probably the HD4850 unless spending that extra $50 over the 8800GTS will limit you in your build to a subpar power supply or motherboard choice.
July 4, 2008 4:56:43 PM

The 260 won't drop to $200, and the 4850 can already be found for a bit less than that. Waiting doesn't make too much sense right now.
July 4, 2008 5:04:35 PM

get the radeon 4850
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 5:06:08 PM

For $200, the 4850 is the card to buy right now-----anyone who tells you different must an nVidiot.
Before anyone calls me an ATI fanboy, note that I am running a 8800GTS 512
July 4, 2008 7:05:36 PM

Wow. Lots of great input there. I guess I should have put in a little more info about my setup and what I play.

Most of the games I'll be playing will be FPS (maybe a few RTS) and currently I only have a 20 inch monitor. Which I won't be upgrading for some time.

Leaning towards the ATI 4850. Might pick up the one by MSI on newegg because it comes with The Witcher.

Thanks again for all the replies.
July 4, 2008 7:31:15 PM

The only thing to wait for right now, IMO, are the new ATi cards coming out. Non reference design coolers for all cards, and the 4850s will be showing up with gddr5 at some point. I think its those cards that are going to be the biggest shake-up to the current price structure.
July 4, 2008 7:35:20 PM

Ya i agree with everyone else. Get a 4850 or 9800GTX there both good.