Board and compatible PSU

ftech

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I have a tower with a Gigabyte motherboard in it that seems to be malfunctioned.
Here's the situation:

The MB has a 24-pin ATX power connector but the PSU that is in it is only a 20 pin ATX12V power supply but I see no 4 pin connector on it to attach to the remaining 4 pins. The person gave it to me because it no longer works. Attached components are getting power through the board but no video comes out and if I take the memory out I get no beeps or anything.

Is the board dead because of the 20 pin power supply rather than having the proper 24 pin? I am pretty new to this type of hardware so I want to find out if I should replace the board AND power supply or keep using this power supply with a new board.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2615
The PSU is an Enermax eg651p-ve with 20 pin connector

Thanks a lot.

ftech

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.

Now just out of curiosity, is that 20 pin PSU most likely what made the board die like this? Apparently they have already had the board replaced 3 times by the people that custom built it for them.