Windows xp repair install fails

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Im trying to run a windows repair install on my brothers computer. I just got a bunch of new hardware for his computer (processor, ram, mobo, graphics card) and am running the windows repair install so that windows will wipe the existing hardware layer and create a new one with the new hardware. the computer posts, bio, etc just fine, but when i run the repair install it gets stuck at 39 minutes to go and then about 10-15 minutes later give me a fatal error and restarts. Is there any way I am going to get around this without formatting his hard drive?

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Here goes, I always do this, never had problems, I am a Network Administrator for a long time. If using WinXP the best method is to login to safe mode, go into device manager and uninstall any drivers that may be left behind from old equipment (also go into add/remove software) once this is done just reboot PC normally into Windows, run the motherboard cd then install left over drivers. It should work, have done that no word of a lie at least 1200 times in the last 5 years...

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
looking back i probably should have done that from the get go. However for the current situation that wouldn't work because i can't access windows :( sense i ran the "repair install" whenever the system boots into xp it takes me to the windows installer section, and from there gives me a fatal error. I forgot to mention this earlier but the error message i recive is "Signature for XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is fffffdfd." and then saying something about failing to remove catalogs.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
that's essentially what im trying to do, the objective was to reinstall all the windows components of his computer without touching his personal setting / documents etc. Ideally i don't to wipe his hard drive just for simplicities sake (reinstalling all his programs etc) but somehow i think that's the only way im going to solve this proble,

typhoon007

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Safest way now is to take the hard disk else where, take a back up of what ever you have to preserve and then make a fresh installation.

Reinstalling programs wouldn't be a big overhead right?

trruk

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

When you buy an HP computer, you do NOT get a Windows XP install CD. I tried going the repair route with a friend's Compaq Presario and got that error fffffdfd using my install disc. Apparently my CD, which is for a Gateway PC, is not identical with what he has, and it will not fix the problem. I think the only option left is to reinstall. But I do not know if his system is going to load and function from my CD.

trruk

TRENDING THREADS