No signal :(

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I finally got my board up and running, but when i turn the power on...i get no signal from my monitor. I am using a visiontek 4850. The card runs and i've tried both dvi slots on the card. And just to make sure, i even tried my old Evga 7900 GTX and i get the same "no signal."

I am using a DFI Blood Iron board with a 850w PSU. Any suggestions? This is the first run of the computer so there is no OS yet.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Does the case have a speaker plugged into the motherboard? Does it beep at all when you turn the computer on? If you get no beeps at all it could be a dead board.

Make sure the RAM is seated properly, maybe take it out and seat it again.

dg6464

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Hey,

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I would first ensure that all of your connections are good (mainly CPU 12V, Main-board connector, and PCI-E 6-pin power), and that you have an adequate enough power supply. Also ensure that when you mounted the board in the case; you put the case mounting-point screw / backpane dividers in the correct areas (make sure one is not in the wrong place shorting the back of the board to the case backpane). It unfortunately sound to me like a board issue, but try out those things first, and make sure everything is seated correctly into it's appropriate slots; as well as the CPU, and especially the RAM must be popped in fully (re-seat it, and try using just one stick for the moment... if that stick doesn't work try another stick by itself to make sure it's not the RAM).

An easy way to test to see if the board is dead is to ensure that you have a speaker plugged into the board (near Front-pin-headers), or that one is integrated into the board, and then remove all RAM from the motherboard. If you get no beeps at all then generally thew motherboard is dead.

Post back with what you find without buying new parts; once we have that hopefully we can make an educated guess to what part is failing, if any.

God speed!

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Alright so here's my update:

I checked to make sure everything was seated correctly.

I tried 1 stick of ram...i've changed the orientation of the ram moving to the other 2 slots..

I installed the speaker and i get a constant beep beep beep sound. So i checked my manual and i couldn't find anything about the tones i was receiving.

And that's that. Now what? :)

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
DFI Blood Iron P35 is the board right? Can't find much information about beep codes anywhere, but it looks like short continuous beeps means a memory problem. Don't suppose you have any other sticks laying around that you could try? Try both sticks one at a time and make sure it's in the right slot (should be some info in the manual about single stick configuration).

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I haven't inserted the new memory yet, but i did fix the beeping. I checked DFI's website and their beep code had meant that i had something wrong with the power being supplied. So i rechecked the cables and fixed it so it doesn't beep. I turned it on and my 4850 just roars now....kinda like it's being put under full load. It doesn't slow down. Soooooooooo i'm gonna pop out the ram now and see if that helps.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
It's normal for the board to run the fan at 100% for a second while the computer is booting up, if it's keeping it at that speed I still wouldn't worry about it. Once you install the video drivers they'll take over control of the fan as Windows is booting up.

Glad you got it fixed though :)

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I tried different ram and that had no effect. I managed to get the gfx card to not run at 100% fan...

I called my bro-in-law up and talked to him about my board. There's suppose to be 2 LEDs that light up on the board. One by some PCI slots and one between the ram. The one between the ram wasn't lighting up so i removed the battery and then waited 1 min and reinserted it. The light came on. Booted it up...no signal and the annoying speaker beeping is going again. So turned it off and the ram LED was turned off again...i'm not sure if that would have much of an effected if that is out o_O....

Getting closer to fixing it...i hope :(

Guess this top should've went into the motherboards category heh. :p

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I think we should have a seperate catagory altogether for technical problems, cause it can be hard to see whats wrong until the problem is solved :p

It'd be helpful if you could list all the specs for the machine (like the model number of the MB), including both types of RAM you tried.

So was it actually booting up before you took the battery out?

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Here are my specs.

- DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Intel Core 2 Dual E6600
-XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case
-OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
-Visiontek Radeon 4850
-Rosewill RX850-S-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

The Computer is able to start up but i can't do anything because i receive "No Signal" on my monitor

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I fixed it. I got signal now. The ram sticks needed to be side by side instead of DIMM 1/3 or 2/4. I went by the colors....i guess it's a pretty noob mistake. It's only my 2nd build...still have to check for the obvious.

Thanks guys!

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
lol I was just about to suggest that after looking at the manual for that board. Most boards use the 1/3 2/4 configuration.

Glad it's finally fixed though :)