noob compatibility question regarding x58/i7

mike brie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Hi all. Simple noob question from a software guy that's finally building his first system.

If I buy a P45 or x48 board now, it's definitely not going to support i7, right? Different sockets = no compatibility, right?

Background: I do CPU-intensive and I/O-intensive work (pro audio, database stuff, and coding, not gaming).

I would like to build a mid-to-upper range system with which I could upgrade the CPU 3-4 years from now.

But in 3-4 years, the upper-mid range CPU choices will (presumably) be i7. So I'd have to buy a new mobo in addition to the CPU...and new memory if I happen to go with DDR2 memory currently.

Is this a bad choice on my part...e.g. should I wait for X58 and pay the higher price now, or pay the higher price later, when I upgrade more parts?

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

mike brie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
eh, I think the answer is yes, a P45 or x48 board is not going to be compatible with core i7 since it does not provide socket LGA1366.

To answer the cost question, I should probably wait until cost info is released for i7 mobos and chips. Traditionally, initial releases are very costly. In that case, it would probably be cheaper to buy x48 now with DDR3, then replace the mobo and chip 3-4 years down the line if I want i7.

If it turns out that X58 is close to the cost of X48, and if it's true that they'll release an i7 for about $300, then I will go that route instead, for future compatibility's sake. so, wait a month.

X58/i7@2.66Ghz might have some major advantages over a P45/Q9450 2.66Ghz option if your software is multi-threaded and can scale nicely across the 4 cores-8 threads the i7 will bring to the party.

You didnt mention what you are using now - or what your actual budget for a new system looks like.

mike brie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply WR2. The multithreading benefits is one of the main reasons why I'm really considering holding off for a month.

My current system is total garbage and I will reuse none of it, except the HDD for data storage. I plan to pick up a raptor or the like for OS + database or audio banks. I plan on running Vista 64-bit. I've already got a monitor.

My budget is around $1500. I don't play games but I'll probably pick up the HD4870 if it fits in the budget, should I decide to try one out. Of course, saving money is always good.