Best disk defragmenting software

deathmustard

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
O&O Defrag 12
http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/index.html

It comes with preset zones to move you boot files and program files to outer part of the disk so your hard drive can read them first. Also you can adjust all the zones for your self. Best one in my opinion. Tons of options or if you don't want to mess with any settings the preset zones and options are perfect in my opinion. Wouldn't live with out it.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1 I have used O@O since version 8.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I've used Defraggler and JK Defrag (which has a new name now).

I like JK Defrag on some machines because it can be set as the screen saver - nice to have your HDD defragging while you walk away.

sub mesa

Distinguished

Outer tracks just means the beginning of the drive, located on the outer tracks on the platters which have the highest velocity and thus speed. By moving frequently accessed files to the beginning of the drive the access to these files should improve.

The different defrag utilities differentiate themselves by offering different strategies in selecting which data goes at the fastest portion of the HDD, the outer tracks.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
The best defragmenter is the one provided with Windows.

The reason is that it works with the Prefetch to group together on the disk the files that will be requested at the same time, by Windows or by the applications.

This is why Windows' defrag takes more time than competitors, especially on Xp and later. But the result is way better.

Just compare the result, both by listening to the active drive, and by measuring the load times.

To force some files on the outer zone, one possibility is to have several volumes on your disk. Put Win and the applications in the first volumes, Mpeg/mp3/downloads/Dvd images on the last ones.

rezolution

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I am using Diskeeper 2009 Pro, and it has the i-faast feature...automatically sequences files for fastest access speeds according to frequency of usage, so the files used most often (boot files, common program files etc) are always in the 'fastest' part of the disk.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Thats because you don't need to defragment with it in safe mode, it defragments everything in normal mode using its "AutoDefragmentation" and the only thing it doesn't defrag is your MFT and Page File which you can set it to do during the boot time of your system. Diskeeper is more advanced then the windows defrager so it does everything it needs in normal mode and i am a user of this software and its excellent, it will speed up the system really well.