Pirated Copy Fix

August 20, 2005 12:59:42 AM

A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
Thanks.
-Pete

More about : pirated copy fix

August 20, 2005 12:59:43 AM

Pete@nospam.com wrote:

> A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
> on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
> do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
> or WHAT?? Thanks.
> -Pete

Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)

Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
a link to help you:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Pete@nospam.com wrote:
> A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
> machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
> complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
> Thanks.
> -Pete

First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.

gls858
August 20, 2005 12:59:43 AM

Pete@nospam.com wrote:
> A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
> machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
> complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
> Thanks.
> -Pete

If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local law
enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
August 20, 2005 12:59:43 AM

gls858 wrote:
> Pete@nospam.com wrote:
> > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
> > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
> > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
> > Thanks.
> > -Pete
> >

> First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
> demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.
>
> gls858

Also I believe that I read somewhere on Microsoft's Website that if you
report where you got the pirated edition in detail, they will replace
it with a legitimate copy directly from Microsoft.
Best of Luck.
August 20, 2005 1:25:50 AM

> Pete@nospam.com wrote:
>
> > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
> > on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
> > do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
> > or WHAT?? Thanks.
> > -Pete
>
> Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)
>
> Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
> is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
> a link to help you:

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Full Retail?
I do have a prior version -isn't that OK?
-Pete
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:25:51 AM

<Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Pete@nospam.com wrote:
>>
>> > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
>> > on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
>> > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
>> > do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
>> > or WHAT?? Thanks.
>> > -Pete
>>
>> Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)
>>
>> Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
>> is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
>> a link to help you:
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
> Full Retail?
> I do have a prior version -isn't that OK?
> -Pete

Here are some considerations:
If your prior version is currently installed on another system then you
can't use it to run a Repair Install on a second system as it would then be
installed on more than one system and violate the License Agreement. If your
prior version is an OEM version that was previously installed on another
system you cannot use it on a second system even if it is no longer
installed. That is the way of OEM versions. If your prior version is XP Home
then it will not be useful as "pirated versions" are XP Professional and you
can not run a Repair Install overtop XP Pro using XP Home. If when you boot
the system with the prior version and after you accept the License Agreement
(press F8) and you do not see a screen that tells you a version of Windows
XP was found would you like to attempt to repair - press "R", then you won't
be able to run the Repair Install.

However if your prior version is not currently installed, is not an OEM and
is Windows XP Pro there is a good chance that you can simply run it overtop
of the pirated version and make it legal.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Doh,
if the user has a qualified prior WindowsOS, he can buy an upgrade and
install clean.
Michael

> Pete@nospam.com wrote:
>> A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on
>> my
>> machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
>> How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do
>> complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or
>> WHAT??
>> Thanks.
>> -Pete
>>

> If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
> following:
>
> The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904
>
> You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
> WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
> using the new CD and Product Key.
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341
>
> You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local law
> enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:06:41 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:59:42 GMT, <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

> A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
> machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
> complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
> Thanks.
> -Pete

It really isn't necessary to purchase a "Full Retail" copy of XP to
fix your problem. As long as you have the disc for a prior copy of XP
(it will really help if the prior copy is a "Full Retail" copy, but is
not completely necessary) you will be able to install a "Retail
Upgrade" CD of XP, IF you are willing to delete the partition your
pirated XP is installed on. This will mean that ALL files on that
partition will be deleted, so make sure they are backed up before
doing this.

NOTE that "Retail Upgrade" CDs of XP are a MINIMUM of $100 cheaper
than a "Full Retail" CD. Currently, you can purchase a genuine
Microsoft "Retail Upgrade" CD of XP Pro from some places for $150 or
less.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order
August 20, 2005 2:08:10 PM

On 19 Aug 2005 19:21:59 -0700, "jarhead" <mandpbarker@gmail.com>
wrote:

> gls858 wrote:
> > Pete@nospam.com wrote:
> > > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
> > > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
> > > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
> > > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
> > > Thanks.
> > > -Pete
> > >

> > First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
> > demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.
> >
> > gls858
>
> Also I believe that I read somewhere on Microsoft's Website that if you
> report where you got the pirated edition in detail, they will replace
> it with a legitimate copy directly from Microsoft.
> Best of Luck.

Microsoft will replace it for a reduced price. They won't just give
you their software.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order
August 20, 2005 5:58:39 PM

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
news:o GwvR%23SpFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Doh,
> if the user has a qualified prior WindowsOS, he can buy an upgrade and
> install clean.
> Michael

I'll do that. Thanks.
!