Pirated Copy Fix

A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
Thanks.
-Pete
10 answers Last reply
More about pirated copy

    Pete@nospam.com wrote:

    > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
    > on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
    > do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
    > or WHAT?? Thanks.
    > -Pete

    Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)

    Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
    is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
    a link to help you:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
    > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
    > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
    demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.

    gls858

    Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
    > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
    > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
    following:

    The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

    You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
    WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
    using the new CD and Product Key.

    You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local law
    enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    gls858 wrote:
    > Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    > > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
    > > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
    > > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
    > > Thanks.
    > > -Pete
    > >

    > First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
    > demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.
    >
    > gls858

    Also I believe that I read somewhere on Microsoft's Website that if you
    report where you got the pirated edition in detail, they will replace
    it with a legitimate copy directly from Microsoft.
    Best of Luck.

    > Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    >
    > > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
    > > on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
    > > do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
    > > or WHAT?? Thanks.
    > > -Pete
    >
    > Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)
    >
    > Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
    > is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
    > a link to help you:

    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Full Retail?
    I do have a prior version -isn't that OK?
    -Pete

    <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
    >> Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP
    >> > on my machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    >> > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I
    >> > do a complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair,
    >> > or WHAT?? Thanks.
    >> > -Pete
    >>
    >> Now you know why they had such "great prices". ;-)
    >>
    >> Normally you buy a full retail copy and do a Repair Install. However, it
    >> is extremely wise to back up all your data first Just In Case. Here is
    >> a link to help you:
    >>
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > Full Retail?
    > I do have a prior version -isn't that OK?
    > -Pete

    Here are some considerations:
    If your prior version is currently installed on another system then you
    can't use it to run a Repair Install on a second system as it would then be
    installed on more than one system and violate the License Agreement. If your
    prior version is an OEM version that was previously installed on another
    system you cannot use it on a second system even if it is no longer
    installed. That is the way of OEM versions. If your prior version is XP Home
    then it will not be useful as "pirated versions" are XP Professional and you
    can not run a Repair Install overtop XP Pro using XP Home. If when you boot
    the system with the prior version and after you accept the License Agreement
    (press F8) and you do not see a screen that tells you a version of Windows
    XP was found would you like to attempt to repair - press "R", then you won't
    be able to run the Repair Install.

    However if your prior version is not currently installed, is not an OEM and
    is Windows XP Pro there is a good chance that you can simply run it overtop
    of the pirated version and make it legal.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Doh,
    if the user has a qualified prior WindowsOS, he can buy an upgrade and
    install clean.
    Michael

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:59:42 GMT, <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

    > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
    > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
    > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    It really isn't necessary to purchase a "Full Retail" copy of XP to
    fix your problem. As long as you have the disc for a prior copy of XP
    (it will really help if the prior copy is a "Full Retail" copy, but is
    not completely necessary) you will be able to install a "Retail
    Upgrade" CD of XP, IF you are willing to delete the partition your
    pirated XP is installed on. This will mean that ALL files on that
    partition will be deleted, so make sure they are backed up before
    doing this.

    NOTE that "Retail Upgrade" CDs of XP are a MINIMUM of $100 cheaper
    than a "Full Retail" CD. Currently, you can purchase a genuine
    Microsoft "Retail Upgrade" CD of XP Pro from some places for $150 or
    less.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    On 19 Aug 2005 19:21:59 -0700, "jarhead" <mandpbarker@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > gls858 wrote:
    > > Pete@nospam.com wrote:
    > > > A local store with great system prices installed a pirated copy of XP on my
    > > > machine. Now, I can't get service packs, etc.
    > > > How do I correct this situation? If I purchase a genuine copy, must I do a
    > > > complete reinstall, install over the existing copy, do a repair, or WHAT??
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > -Pete
    > > >

    > > First you need to report that store to MS. Secondly go back and
    > > demand a legal copy. You're entitled to it.
    > >
    > > gls858
    >
    > Also I believe that I read somewhere on Microsoft's Website that if you
    > report where you got the pirated edition in detail, they will replace
    > it with a legitimate copy directly from Microsoft.
    > Best of Luck.

    Microsoft will replace it for a reduced price. They won't just give
    you their software.

    "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    > Doh,
    > if the user has a qualified prior WindowsOS, he can buy an upgrade and
    > install clean.
    > Michael

    I'll do that. Thanks.

Microsoft Windows XP