Sign in with
Your question

[Help] System shutting down, CPU is hot!

Last response: in CPUs
August 4, 2008 12:50:09 PM

Hi guys - sorry to bother but I need some tech support!

I have a 3-year old Pentium 4, which in the last 2 weeks or so has been shutting down spontaneously. Usually this occurs overnight, but now it's happening during the day.

I think it could be one of two things:

1) Power Supply program - easy fix, $20-$30.

2) CPU - I installed the CPU monitor from Intel for the Pentium 4 chip, and it says it's running around 75-80 degrees. I think this has gradually gotten hotter over the last month (from 67-73, now closer to 77-80).

I set the alarm at 80 degrees, and the system seems to shut down even before it reaches that hot. The last time, the system had only been running for 4-5 minutes and then shut down, never reaching 80 degrees.

Do you think the CPU is the issue or the power supply? I don't want to drop $30 on the system if the CPU is fried.

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 12:54:41 PM

Reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.
Your temperatures should be lower than that.
Some thermal pastes dry out with use and should be reapplied every 2 years.
By the way, don't buy a $20-30 power supply. It can destroy your system.
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 1:05:46 PM

Pentium 4's start to lock up around 72 degrees; you'll almost never reach 80 before they crash. Re-apply thermal paste to your CPU/Heatsink, and see if temps improve.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2008 1:15:03 PM

FunkyMan3333 said:
Hi guys - sorry to bother but I need some tech support!

I have a 3-year old Pentium 4, which in the last 2 weeks or so has been shutting down spontaneously. Usually this occurs overnight, but now it's happening during the day.

I think it could be one of two things:

1) Power Supply program - easy fix, $20-$30.

2) CPU - I installed the CPU monitor from Intel for the Pentium 4 chip, and it says it's running around 75-80 degrees. I think this has gradually gotten hotter over the last month (from 67-73, now closer to 77-80).

I set the alarm at 80 degrees, and the system seems to shut down even before it reaches that hot. The last time, the system had only been running for 4-5 minutes and then shut down, never reaching 80 degrees.

Do you think the CPU is the issue or the power supply? I don't want to drop $30 on the system if the CPU is fried.

Thanks!

Remove the dust from the CPU Cooler

Dust stops the vents from doing its job...

Dust kills computers...

Get a mid size philips screw driver, remove the heatsink ( unplug machine first ), get a paint brush ( a clean one ), a bag of peanuts for hunger ( warning may contain nuts ), sweep the paintbrush along the lines of the fins on the heat sink,
clean the fan, put it back together and................

Bang ( only kidding ) and turn it back on temperature should be lower...

ps

When asking for questions, let us know what you have inside the tin so we can help better...
August 4, 2008 2:01:04 PM

I just monitored things, and the damn thing crashed on me when the CPU temp was only 58 degrees. Not sure if this is a CPU/thermal paste issue. I wasn't doing anything CPU intensive - just backing up my HDD. It never got above 60 degrees this time.

Sill a CPU/thermal paste issue? I'll definitely try to de-dust everything, but I've been using compressed air and I don't think it's dusty.

BTW, I would like to express what's in my unit but since I can't get the damn thing to run for more than 5 minutes, i can't get BelArc Advisor to work.
August 4, 2008 2:05:57 PM

You said de-dust everything? Did you take the HSF off the CPU?

And if you did, did you clean off the thermal grease and re-apply thermal grease according to it's instructions?

Have you tried running your system with the side case off, giving it some cool air?

If your running a backup, using backup software, it will put a decent load on your CPU to make it run hotter, so it sounds like a cooling problem.
August 4, 2008 2:15:20 PM

All of the Ideas given are great, especially the dusting since that is simple.
Another thing to consider if your BIOS allows it.........
Try downclocking your CPU very slightly - Say 100-200Mhz.
Likely you will never notice the difference and it could make a difference in temps. Especially if that will let you lower voltage.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
August 4, 2008 5:14:29 PM

Basically CLEAN YOUR SYSTEM!!!!!

Go grab a few cans of air and open your case and get out as much dust as possible, unclog all fans and I would suggest a better heatsink because I have a P4 3.4GHz EE that never goes above 50c using a Zalman CNPS9500.

Clean the CPU and HSF and reapply some good thermal paste (AS5 or equivalent or better) and make sure it is tight. Then you will be all set. Turn on and enjoy lower safer and much better temps.
August 7, 2008 2:54:43 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on the problem. It is now fixed. Here's what I did:

1) Cleaned the system including CPU fan and power supply fan (with compressed air) - didn't help
2) Re-applied new thermal paste - brought the CPU temperature down to 55-65, but the system continued to shut down. Noted immediate shut down when I tried to burn a DVD. Nasty burning smell from the power supply.
3) Replaced power supply - PROBLEM FIXED!

So, it appears that my CPU did need new thermal paste (to prolong the life of the CPU), but it was the power supply that was the main problem.

Thanks for your help, all!
!