Low disk space virus

G

Hello,
i have been getting a low diskspace warning for three days and i finally deleted all of my music like 200 songs and 2 minutes later i keep gtting the same messages and i keep having to delete more stuff

abc130

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Hello,
i have been getting a low diskspace warning for three days and i finally deleted all of my music like 200 songs and 2 minutes later i keep gtting the same messages and i keep having to delete more stuff

Hello all, for other users searching forums for this same issue, there is another solution... It's to disable windows indexing/seaching! The index and CiFiles and windows.edb can become enormous files.

My specifics: WinXP Pro SP3 on a Dell PC with >2GB RAM and a 75GB HD. Low disk space error recurring. I'd run disk cleanup and free a gig of space then it would disappear before my eyes each time I refreshed My Computer. Transfered non-critical files to external HD to free up another few gigs of space, only to watch that melt away too... all the while my processor was crunching away non-stop even after a fresh reboot and nothing running. This had been going on for days! I checked for viruses (AVG and malwarebytes) and found nothing. After a helpful post on a Kaspersky forum I installed WinDirStat to find where all these files had sprouted up. http://windirstat.info/. Neat little program.

So I found that far and away there were about 19GB in the CiFiles and the windows.edb was almost a gig. After doing some more research I discovered that Indexing is not necessary if you don't use the Win search function frequently so I followed the very simple instructions on found on countless pages on how to disable it. Did that and rebooted, expecting the CIfiles and edb to be gone, but still nothing. Tried to delete them myself but they were apparently "in use". So rebooted into safe mode and renamed the edb file and the CiFiles directory (was too chicken to delete them just in case). Rebooted and voila, 21GB magically appeared and those renamed files were simply gone. And according to the experts my computer will run much faster now that it's not being slowed down by constantly writing to the index.

So how did this happen in the first place? I mean I've been using this computer the same way for a few years with no issues and hadn't ever touched the indexing settings. Here's what happened. I plugged in a terabyte external hard drive (already half-full with files from my lab-mates' computers) to do a backup. Apparently this drive was set to be indexed (right-click the drive in My Computer, select properties and you'll see the pie-chart showing drive space and near the bottom is the little check-box that was checked). So My poor tiny little HD was creating a gigantic set of index files for this humongous external HD. Phew!

Anyway I hope this helps someone out there. All the things I mentioned doing are easily google-able and easily done by novices so long as you have admin access (I didn't want to risk making any mistakes in the instructions so I'll leave it to you to google the how-to's for your OS).
Cheers
S