Ridiculous core i7 temps?!?

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I have a major problem.
My 920 is (Dummy) OC to 3.33 (160x21), HT on, Turbo on.
I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, using the Noctua thermal paste.
While running p95 (8 instances) my core temps in RealTemp are super high (94,99,85,100), but the display on my EVGA x58 mobo says 83.
Then when I'm at idle RealTemp reports 46,48,46,47 and my mobo says 33.
I know if what RealTemp says is correct I'm in big trouble, but that seems hard to believe with the cooler I have.

What am I missing??

temps.jpg

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I would guess you have a bad mount of some sort causing those temps. With that cooler and that OC you should have much better temps.

The differences in temp readings you are getting is that your evga display is reading tcase and realtemp is reading you core temps.

I just re-did my TRUE and got a good 8°+ drop in temps.

Old
linx.png

New
linxlw7.png

I just did a sensor test with realtemp and here are my results, I am showing two shots since I keep all power saving features enabled and need to load the cpu to show the correct speed. With my settings I idle at 1.136v and load between 1.36 and 1.375.

RT1.PNG

RT2.PNG

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006

From everything I have seen that Noctua is a very good HS and about as good as it gets with quiet fans (and it comes with 2 well matched fans with that model).

The problem I have with frosty is that they use a die sim and not a real cpu and will have a much more even temp across the contact area than a real cpu which will have hot and cool spots. Also they don't test with a common fan and the stock fan which would give a nice apples to apples comparison when possible to see which HS is best rather than the combination of HS and fan.

Here is a test of a lot of the top i7 coolers that I do like. It shows performance with the stock fans at different settings and with a common fan for the top models. It also shows the max OC achieved with each (too many only go a moderate OC) with different fans and speeds equal on each.

There are a couple other reviews that aren't bad from Mad Shrimps and bit-tech that show similar results, there are many more that all show the Noctua in much better light than Frosty.

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
OK so I re-seated my HSF, found out that the thermal paste hadn't spread itself out very well (hence the two hotter cores) and things cooled down a little bit. However, it still seems warm compared to what others are reporting.
Any other ideas?

temps2.jpg

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

I wonder why they didn't test the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. According to Frosty Tech, the Xiggy beat the TRUE in a number of tests. I guess I'll put the Xiggy on the i7 920 when I get it later this week.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 does perform a little better than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight does include the retention bracket, but the bracket only costs a few dollars. I want to see one of the original S1283. According to the review you listed, it is stated that the Nickel layer on the Dark Knight is about 4 degrees more inefficient than coolers without the coating.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
That is my understanding as well. The more recent coolers with direct touch heat pipes and coolers which feature push-pull fans have extended the perform envelope once again. It wasn't long ago when the selectiion of high-end air coolers was much more limited. The technology has cetainly come a long way.

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I feel like such a n00b....
I looked up a diagram of the core i7 and found this on pcstats:
Core_i7_txt72_thumb.jpg

So I realized that putting a 'pea-sized' dot thermal paste in the middle wasn't going to be enough.
I took my computer apart (yet again) and reapplied the thermal paste in a line that covered all four of the cores and my temps went down by over 25 degrees Celcius!

Here's the proof :)
temps3.jpg

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Not too much, probably about the size of half a pencil eraser per application; so maybe around a third of the tube? As I stated before, it's not about putting on gobs of thermal paste, it's about having it in the right area so that it conducts the heat more efficiently.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
yeah... i know (now, thanks to u :D) so u just put it more to the 'top' side of the chip, where the cores are situated, and it made that much difference?? thats sweet

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
What are your under load temps ? I own a hardware review site, and we reviewed this cooler, on a core i7 920 at 4Ghz.

Temps were at at 75c under load with the Noctua, 73c with the Dark Knight, 72c with the Thors Hammer, and 74c with the Akasa Nero.

The Xigmatek Coolers , and Akasa Nero at idle were at 40c and the Noxtua at 43c. What was nice about the Noctua, is that even at high speed you could just about hear the fans.

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
The highest any of the cores got under an hour of blend torture testing, courtesy of prime 95, was 68c, but they stayed pretty consistently at 65c or under.
I hope this helps you out somehow. :)

p95-1hr.jpg

bmbvenom

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Sure thing, I'll even make you an animated picture :)

I looked and found the diagram of the Core i7 chip (as shown in one of my previous posts), then I found a real picture of a Core i7 chip and just made it so the yellow triangle matched. The picture also shows about how much thermal paste I put on (maybe a little more, but not too much). Just click on the link and download the swf file. Sorry but I can't figure out how to directly embed from google docs.

https://docs.google.com/a/biola.edu/leaf?id=0BwCfXPhzhJVqNTNlZDE4N2YtYWM4Yy00MDM4LWFjNWMtMjE2YmUwNjQ2ZmNk&hl=en

-713king-

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
ahh nice :D i will do that to my CPU then.. when removing paste can i use alcohol 91 percent??? do you think i should switch out my Dark Knight fan to a Noctua fan??? to have much cooler and better performance or just leave it how it is..

-713king-

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
this works wonders!! i was running at 45c and up now im running at 35c with HT on :D and once it settles i think it should lower down the temps?? if not 35c is fine! lol thnx bmbvenom

cboath

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
What happened to the SWF file? It's just text right now and it's only been 1.5 weeks...I'd really like to see it because I think I have the exact same problem.

DragonQ

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I used the same method (line across the cores) yesterday and it didn't improve my temps at all (I used the blob method at first). :(