4850 and vsync

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It may be a silly question so please, bare with me as I'm new to ATI:

How can I make my 4850 to force vertical sync?

I obviously set the driver (8.5) to "always on" but it doesn't work... not in BF2 anyway.

Any ideas?

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Yes, definitely start with the newer drivers. I got lucky and heard about the "hotfix" the day i got my 4850 so I never have had that problem with it.

What OS?

I always use Vsync. I have notices that Nvidia says they can no longer force it on vista. Maybe ati can not either.

Either way. Vsync off looks and feels jumpy since parts of the screen are faster then others. It depends on the game, but in general Vsync "Performance hit" takes place outside of most(not all) users ability to see more frames anyway(60+).

ThreatDown

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008

Because if you have an LCD and get a lot of FPS it tears badly and looks AWFUL and ruins the graphics for me.

I get constant 60 fps in games with vsync on with my 9600GT which is perfect for me and looks smooth as hell, getting more is pointless anyway as an LCD can't really display more than 60 fps and the tearing looks god awful.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I usually keep vsync on in games, cause tearing irritates the hell out of me. But if your card can't keep up and only does, say, 50 fps while your monitor refreshes at 60 Hz, then your FPS could drop down to 30 with vsync on. That's the only time you'll take a noticeable performance hit, and obviously if your card can't keep up with your monitor there's no reason to have vsync on.

To be honest, when I replied I was thinking of Crysis. Played it once and an am playing it again on 2 different machines and opsys's. I haven't tried vsinc on in this game and I'm sure it won't help any...lol. Always thought vsinc held back in performance.

Vsync locks your frame rate to the refresh rate of your screen. It will make a 300fps game run at 60(75,85 or whatever your screen refresh is). So that may(is) be considered a performance drop(for benching, but the user will most likely never notice it).

The advantage is you do not get the page tearing effect of having frames load faster then the screen will display them. It gives almost a line look when playing games and panning the camera left to right.

Simulated page tearing. it can even happen in more then one spot(look between the red lines)
vsyncxm1.jpg

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Word. In addition to you monitor not being able to refresh faster than 60/sec, most people can't even see a difference above 60 frames/sec. It's interesting to see people justify paying exorbitant amounts of money so they can play a game at 120fps when it really doesn't make any difference unless they take a huge drop in frames.

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
My problem is solved. :sol:

I firstly installed catalyst 8.6. It was a disaster. Still no vsync and my frame rate in BF2 dropped to 40-50, hitting as low as 8fps...

Installing the 4800 hotfix did the trick. Vsync works perfectly and I'm getting 75fps with max AA&AF. CoD 4, GRID and DIRT run like a dream at high/ultra settings too. I'm happy now. It looks like I've managed to build quite a lean system for E400.

Hotfix link:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=35298

Thx!

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Sorry, I should have been more clear: the "hot fix" actually has the driver and CCC all in it as well, no need to download anything else. I just can't wait to see what driver updates will do for performance down the road!