New Computer Build – Monitor problem

chi83

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

I’ve been having a big problem with my new computer build, and I’m hoping someone may have some ideas. Here are my specs:

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive (2)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850

PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

CORSAIR TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX2GB PC3-12800+ (DDR3 1600+) DDR3 Memory

Here is the problem. I put the system together, and it powered on fine, but when the monitor was connected to the video card, nothing happened. The monitor wouldn’t work at all.

I’ve tried the new video card in my older system, and it works fine so I know it’s not the card. I assumed the motherboard had a bad socket, so I RMA’d it, and received the replacement, but it’s doing the same thing.

I also tried my old 7800 video card in the new system, and it also didn’t power up the monitor.

I suspected maybe a problem with the RAM, but it seems this particular motherboard only supports DDR3, so I can’t use any of my other RAM to test it.

I am using the same monitor for both systems. It works fine with the new video card in the old system, but it does not work at all with the old or new video cards in the new system. I also tried another monitor that I had stashed around, and it also didn’t work.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I suspect also a BIOS problem, but I can’t really access that without the monitor.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Clear the bios by removing the battery for 30 secs.
Might be a short somewhere. A cable connected wrongly. An extra standoff.
Take the motherboard out and put it on a piece of cardboard with only processor and power. Listen for beeps and then try adding in memory, then video card, etc.
Try using one stick of RAM instead of 2.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Do you have a case speaker attached? That will give you any beep codes to decipher the problem. If not, you can pick up one up at your local store.

You've eliminated a few items, which is good: motherboard, monitor, graphics card. Time to look at the common elements:

Power supply (could be DoA; can you try out a different one?), CPU (bent pin?), RAM (try each module separately). Or your motherboard could have a short somewhere on the case (try building outside the case). Also ensure that you have the CPU power cable (4 pin) connected snuggly to the motherboard. Also try clearing the BIOS either by removing the battery or using the BIOS reset jumper.

chi83

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
She, and yes, that's what I meant. :)

Probably should have been a bit clearer but I'm getting rather frustrated at this point and not completely coherent.

Thanks all for the advice so far, I will try your suggestions.

chi83

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Heh, sorry. :p

I try not to assume things so I tend towards literal interpretations, though that occasionally backfires.

I should have realized it was a bit ambiguous of a subject anyway. I've edited the topic!

chi83

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Unfortunately, yes, it's been double checked.

I will triple check it though, as a lot of people have suggested that.

Thanks!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
The next thing is a short or incompatible ram. Did you use standoffs? Did you use the right amount? Is the Ram on the Mobo QVL list? ALso I just noticed your memory is 1600 and your mobo only supports 1600 (OC) which your ram default is 1600 so the settings are wrong. You need to get 800/1066/1333 ram to boot with and change bios settings to use your other ram. I would get the 800 if it was me. Just 1 stick, it dnt even need to be 1G, get the cheapest you can.

chi83

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Hmm, forgive my lack of highly technical knowledge, but is the 1600 per module? So basically I couldn't accomplish the boot only using one of the pair?

ETA: I have tried it only using one and it hasn't worked.

That's a good start on hardware troubleshooting.

Clear the BIOS. Then try this:
http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Troubleshooting+a+New+Build