badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
The title was something like "Northbridge RAM max. support lower than current memory frequency?"
I tried looking for it in general and memory forums for motherboards and it's nowhere to be found. My post count also corresponds with it being deleted. I had a .png file link to my info on PC Wizard displaying the Northbridge/RAM information, maybe that wasn't allowed.

Anyway if my Northbridge's RAM max. support is listed as "DDR2 (667 MHz) is that the same as DDR2 667 or do the parentheses signify i/o bus clock frequency? My motherboard RAM standard is DDR2 800, on Intel's website, and will also support DDR2 1066 according to newegg's RAM finder function. My DRAM/FSB ratio is 3/2 if that has any effect. If that's the reason for the DDR2 (667 MHz) can I change the ratio so it supports DDR2 (800 MHz)?

Northbridge Information :
Bus Speed : 266.7 MHz
FSB Frequency : 1066.7 MHz (QDR)
FSB max. Support : 1066 MHz
RAM max. Support : DDR2 (667 MHz)

Memory Information :
Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400
Frequency : 400 MHz
DRAM/FSB Ratio : 3/2

Thanks for any info.

Faster memory works with older boards.

So DDR 800 works in a 667 board without issues.

Please list the exact model of your board.

Your memory according the the last part IS running at ddr2 800(400 is shown due to how the memory works 400 x 2(DDR) = 800, just like the cpu is 266 Quad pumped. so 266 x 4 = ~1066)

Everything looks good.

You can use CPU-Z to check exactly what everything is running at.

Before you use this, be warned, you cpu speed may show lower(1600MHz), if it does its just speedstep saving you power. it does this when you are not doing anything.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

On the topic of deleted posts. There has been some work going on, maybe your last post never got filed. I was unable to post at all during this maintenance cycle.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Thanks for the detailed reply! My board is Intel brand model D975XBX2. So it is actually a 667 MHz board, meaning northbridge speed? Is there still a benefit to running 800 memory if it has to pass through this lower speed, or is it irrelevant. I've read the northbridge is Intel's Achilles heel in motherboard design, since it bottlenecks memory.
I'll check out CPU-Z too. PC Wizard displays my cpu running at 1600 MHz as well. I figured it was as you say, in an idle mode.

Well, the Intel manual sucks, but i will try to cover the memory speed thing.

The actual FSB frequency IS 266MHz, that said running your memory at 333(667) is faster then the fsb. There is a slight performance increase with faster memory speed, but in some cases it is offset because of the higher latencies the memory runs at.

Read more here

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=472

You can try to tweak it in the bios, but the manual has no info in it at all for me to try to help with.

In general the performance difference is very minimal(looks at the last page, you gain 3 fps from DDR2 400 5,5,5,15 to higher performance DDR2 800 4,4,4,12. Nothing to write home about.)

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Interesting article, thanks. I'm learning little by little.

TRENDING THREADS