Desperate for help! ATI 4850

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
I recently purchased a new computer with 4 gig of ram and an 8400 processor. I am running vista ultimate SP1. The computer kept crashing in world of warcraft. What would happen is that the screen would go blank, the hard drive would start running fast and I would still hill game noises for a few seconds and then the computer locked up with the sound looping real fast and the video card spinning up to max until I turned it off. I RMAed the video card and got an ASUS 4850 and reformatted the harddrive. I have tried drivers 8.5, 8.6 and the 8.6 hotfix for 4850. I am running the with the quality slider set to high. I have the fan set on 50% and the card only gets about 60 degrees. Is there anything I can do to try and find out what is wrong?

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
BTW I have read hundreds of thread dating back to 2004 with people having the EXACT same problem and it does not matter what kind of computer or what kind of graphics card they have. The common thing with these hundreds of threads is that not a SINGLE ONE has a solution. What should I do? I am thinking about trying to sell this brand new system I bought 2 weeks ago for half of what I payed for it just to rid myself of it. I have to say that **** like this is major depressing.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
That is not a vista issue, that is a issue with drivers, if your going to place the blame somewhere, at least give a informed decision.

foxhound009

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Drivers m8... never buy an graphic card before it got it's drivers.... tested and retested.... there's still no ati 4800 series on ATI's driver support site....

but for the time being.... try to change few settings such as AA
and other filters I know this card should have like 250 fps with all filters on
and on really high reso on WOW
but sometimes something like AA might screw things up.

just try to fool around in the filters section of CCC...

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
I am now using the super secret drivers. Right away I can tell they are working better as with the other ones if I would turn my character to face a different direction there would be a temporary drop in FPS like the card was loading in textures or something. If I would turn around and turn back the drop would not occur as it had already loaded. Now it is 60 non stop with filtering all the way up. I am now going to play nonstop as long as I can trying to fish out a crash. If this fixes it and the problem all along was drivers I will be pissed. It should be criminal to sell a card without drivers that work.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Oh man, see you had to go and tell people, now there is a super secret drive code of conduct, and you just broke the rule here, sorry man but were gonna have to kill you ......

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
If this fixes it and the problem all along was drivers I will be pissed. It should be criminal to sell a card without drivers that work.
Be glad it wasn't a broken card. Drivers are always a bit crap right after a new product line gets released, it's always been that way especially with ATI. I'm actually surprised how few problems there were this time around.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Blame it on Windoze.

A friend recently had a problem with an error msg =

Cannot find Drive C !!!! (while in windoze!)

A classic case of windoze can't find it's ass!!!! :)

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
Okay, I am so depressed right now my next step for fixing this computer is probably throwing it off of a bridge near my house. It would almost be worth seeing it in pieces after the **** its put me throught. I was not even playing a game when I got a blue screen of death error. I was just watching a windows picture slideshow of my vacation. Is there anyone out there that would please tell me how to find out what the blue screen error was? It went to fast for me to see. I can't find it in the event viewer.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
If it's not in the event viewer then I don't know of a way to see what it was. Microsoft decided it would 'get rid of blue screens' by just not showing them to you and rebooting the system automatically instead. Screwing any chance you may have had to figure out what caused the error and fix it.

In XP there's an option to turn this 'feature' off, by going to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery and making sure "Automatically restart" is unchecked. I don't know if you can do that in Vista too.

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
Here is something you might find interesting. The driver somehow corrupted and/or uninstalled itself. The problem of my fps dropping majorly when I spun my character around returned and I am thinking that may be related to the crash I had to day because I uninstalled the driver, ran cleaner pro and then reinstalled it and the problem went away again. Can drivers screw themselves up just to spite the user?

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
You might have got a corrupted download, or were missing a small bit of info in just the right spot, yadda yadda yadda, its sucks, but the net aint perfect and you wouldnt be the first person to have a drive go haywire from a download, it happens just uninstall, download again, and then reinstall.

Max48

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I just got a Saphire 4850HD and I'm having similar issues. Games are working, but for some reason WoW is very unstable and CTD are very frequent. I tried both Catalyst 8.6 hf and 8.7 beta. Im running XP SP3 BTW.

Max

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Probably why they are beta drivers. you know not actual released drivers. also includes the little things called unsupport notices giving you the notice that these are not yet fully tested and supported.