Sign in with
Your question

Need help diagnosing hardware failure...

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2008 8:48:07 PM

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer and need help from you guys now.

Ok, so I am trying to get my AMD FX-55 (socket 939) to work with a Biostar N4SLI-A9 motherboard. After building the entire system (with all components plugged in) I went to start the computer with no effect whatsoever. Not even the fans started. So at this point I figured either the motherboard or the CPU is busted. I tried taking out the CPU and starting the computer barebone and this time the fans turn on and it seems to start working normally. I also tried the CPU with another motherboard and it still does not start.

So I sent my CPU to AMD for repair and they sent me a new one. Same problem. I would hope they test their CPUs before shipping them. Should I assume I got another broken one?

My question is, what would cause the system to not turn on at all with the CPU in, then start without it. How can I find out what the problem is?
June 17, 2008 9:13:26 PM

try disconnecting everything except the essentials. Sounds like you power supply isnt good enough. If the CPU is the problem then the screen wont come up but the fans will still run.
June 17, 2008 9:19:39 PM

Thats what I did.

The computer simply wont turn on when the CPU is installed. Not even the fans.

The PSU is 500 watts and should be able to handle this system.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2008 9:32:57 PM

I know this might sound like a dumb question. Are the arrows lined up?
June 17, 2008 10:03:16 PM

Yes.
June 17, 2008 11:57:10 PM

You said your PSU is 500Watts. What brand is it? If it is some cheap brand it could have died and that could be your problem.

Like LastTarget said, the cpu shouldnt be the problem. If your cpu was dead the motherboard would still power the fans, it just wouldnt POST.

I sound like a bad PSU.
!