Old hard drive, new mobo, can it be done?

Hello, I'm new to pc building. My current PC is a Gateway FX542s that I bought a year ago. The specs can be viewed here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX540_Series/2906064R/2906064Rsp3.shtml

Motherboard specs:
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/ECS/4006249R/4006249Rsp2.shtml

Its a fairly decent rig for gaming but I've recently gotten the urge to build my own system for a new challenge. I purchased quite a few parts including an 850w PSU, samsung dvd drive, evga gtx 275, coolermaster Case nvidia version, etc. I haven't decided on a MOBO/CPU yet but was considering a 750i FTW mainly due to price...gonna upgrade later to p55 or something. However, I thought I was going to be able to take my old hard drive out and use it on the new mobo but after some research, I realize that may be harder than I thought since the motherboard isn't identical to my current one.

My first question is can I uninstall the chipset and audio drivers and save myself from buying a new hard drive? The other problem is that the operating system from gateway is vista 64, but they didn't include a disc or anything. Is there a way to put that OS on a new hard drive or would I have to buy a new OS with a new hard drive? If thats the case, then I would just get an an i5 w/evga p55 sli with a new hard drive and windows 7 when it comes out but I was hoping I could save a ton of cash by using my old drive somehow. ANY INFO is appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive mobo done
  1. The chances the old hard drive will work with new hardware is probably pretty slim. You could still try and it might work but I would make sure any valuable data is saved elsewhere.

I would recommend just getting a new hard drive and Windows 7 or loading Windows 7 on that hard drive. The only other way I could see would be to take some imaging software like Acronis and taking a hardware independent image and then slap that image back on the hard drive. Even with that I think you'd be better off with Windows 7.
  2. I would get a new hard drive if absolutely necessary but if I could wipe this drive and then install win7 with the new mobo, I'd prefer to do that. The drive is only a year old and not even half full.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage