Recommend a Samsung HDTV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
September 12, 2005 5:43:31 PM

Hi,

I'm just beginning to look into buying a new TV. I've never even SEEN
HDTV and don't currently subscribe to cable or satellite. I'm usually
a cable subscriber but am open to Direct TV or some such. So the plan
is to get a TV and subscribe with someone.

Sony and Toshiba seem to get the most votes as excellent quality with
maybe Panasonic next? How about Samsung? It's price that pushes me
toward Samsung. I'm looking at a 26" HDTV model (details below). How
does that look to you folks? They also have an "HDTV ready" model
which boasts the 1080i resolution but it says nothing about aspect
ratio and I want 16:9, no? Or is the aspect ratio a function of the
HDTV tuner I'll get from my subscription service or which I'll buy
separately?

Info from Best Buy site::::

Samsung DynaFlat 26" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV with HDMI and Component
Video Inputs Model: TXR2678WH

This 26" TV with built-in HDTV tuner lets you tap into high-definition
signals and enjoy flicker-free, progressive-scan pictures, finer pixel
dot pitch and a DynaFlat tube - all for an outstanding home
entertainment experience.

* Built-In HDTV Tuner: Add HD-capable antenna to receive
over-the-air high-definition broadcasts, where available. Optional
set-top box required for high-definition cable or satellite
programming.

* Progressive scanning maximizes the picture quality of
progressive-scan DVD players, set-top boxes and digital video recorders

* HDMI input provides an uncompressed all-digital audio/video link
for the highest-quality connection and supports copy-protected HD
broadcast content

Product Features

16:9 widescreen aspect ratio delivers a cinema-style entertainment
experience; the widescreen design means you won't lose the sides of the
picture when you watch widescreen DVDs

Velocity scan modulation improves edge detail

Finer pixel dot-pitch flat CRT for improved picture resolution and
brightness

DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) circuitry provides enhanced detail
and contrast, video noise reduction and white-balance enhancements for
an amazing picture

Pro Picture analog-to-digital video signal processing incorporates
Total Digital Signal Processing, Pro Chip Plus and 8-bit 20MHz 3D Y/C
digital comb filter to produce high-performance pictures from both
analog and digital sources

Side A/V and S-video inputs make it easy to connect a DVD player, game
console or camcorder

2 HD/DVD auto sensing component inputs process 480i, 480p, 720p and
1080i

Inputs: HDMI, 4 composite A/V (1 side, 3 rear), 2 component video (Y,
Pb, Pr), 2 S-video, 2 RF Outputs: A/V

20-watt stereo sound with adjustable EQ and BBE high-definition sound
processing

V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to
undesirable material

Other benefits include digital channel signal strength meter and
vertical compression for anamorphic DVDs

Multifunction universal remote included

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year
Product Height 19-7/8"
Product Width 32-3/8"
Product Weight 87.1 lbs.
Product Length 19-5/8"
Screen Size 26"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Type Flat digital tube
Digital Cable Ready No
Flat Tube Yes
Digital Capabilities HD built-in
Maximum Resolution 1080i
Comb Filter 3D Y/C
Media Card Slot No
HDMI Inputs Yes
DVI Inputs No
S-Video Inputs 2 (1 side, 1 rear)
Component Video Inputs 2
Composite Inputs 4
PC Inputs No
RF Antenna Input 2
A/V Outputs Yes
Watts/Channel 10
Speakers 2
Sound Leveler Yes
V-Chip Yes
Remote Control Type Universal

More about : recommend samsung hdtv

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 13, 2005 8:09:46 AM

Funny I had just ordered this exact model on Sunday from BestBuy.com,
it will be delivered to me by this Saturday. It has everything I want
from a HDTV. The aspect ratio is not determined by the tuner, its
determined by the size and shape of the screen. If its a widescreen tv,
then its 16 arbitary units horizontal, 9 arbitary units vertical, hence
16:9. A Full screen set is only 4:3. Three things that pulling me
toward getting this tv is that it offers 3:2 pull-down, built-in HDTV
tuner, and it supports HDMI input (HDCP) which will become a necessity
for every HDTV set, as DVI gets fazed out from being used on HDTVs.

booke63@charter.net wrote:
> [...]
>
> Pro Picture analog-to-digital video signal processing incorporates
> Total Digital Signal Processing, Pro Chip Plus and 8-bit 20MHz 3D Y/C
> digital comb filter to produce high-performance pictures from both
> analog and digital sources
>
> Side A/V and S-video inputs make it easy to connect a DVD player, game
> console or camcorder
>
> 2 HD/DVD auto sensing component inputs process 480i, 480p, 720p and
> 1080i
>
> Inputs: HDMI, 4 composite A/V (1 side, 3 rear), 2 component video (Y,
> Pb, Pr), 2 S-video, 2 RF Outputs: A/V
>
> 20-watt stereo sound with adjustable EQ and BBE high-definition sound
> processing
>
> V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to
> undesirable material
>
> Other benefits include digital channel signal strength meter and
> vertical compression for anamorphic DVDs

September 13, 2005 2:48:30 PM

booke63@charter.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just beginning to look into buying a new TV. I've never even SEEN
> HDTV and don't currently subscribe to cable or satellite. I'm usually
> a cable subscriber but am open to Direct TV or some such. So the plan
> is to get a TV and subscribe with someone.
>
> Sony and Toshiba seem to get the most votes as excellent quality with
> maybe Panasonic next? How about Samsung? It's price that pushes me
> toward Samsung. I'm looking at a 26" HDTV model (details below). How
> does that look to you folks? They also have an "HDTV ready" model
> which boasts the 1080i resolution but it says nothing about aspect
> ratio and I want 16:9, no? Or is the aspect ratio a function of the
> HDTV tuner I'll get from my subscription service or which I'll buy
> separately?

26" is pretty small for a 16:9 widescreen TV. The height of a 27" 4:3
TV is 6/10 of the diagonal or 16.2". The height of a 26" 16:9 is 0.49 of
the diagonal or 13.2". If you want around the same height as a 27" 4:3
TV for the picture, you need to get a 32" or 34" 16:9 widescreen.

The HD tuner is for over the air digital broadcast stations, you will
presumably need a set top box & dish for satellite. But if you live near
a major city, you should be able to get a number of HD channels for free
over the air, all you need is an antenna (UHF is the most important part
as almost all digital stations are currently broadcasting on the UHF
band) and a ATSC tuner. Check www.antennaweb.org as a starting point to
see how many digital TV stations are in your area.

I have HD cable (Adelphia), but they do not currently provide any of
the PBS stations nor WB, UPN in their HD lineups. So I have put up a $25
UHF antenna in my attic and get all of the 7 HD stations in Washington
DC and some of the Baltimore stations. I have spent extra money on a
signal amplifier, but that is because the UPN station is at low power
and I want to get some of the Baltimore stations.

If you have never seen HD, OTOH, you must not have any Best Buys,
Circuit City, Sears, or similar stores nearby? Heck, even Walmart
sometimes has HD displayed in their stores.

Alan F
a b Ô Samsung
September 13, 2005 3:48:41 PM

afiggatt wrote:

> 26" is pretty small for a 16:9 widescreen TV. The height of a 27" 4:3
> TV is 6/10 of the diagonal or 16.2". The height of a 26" 16:9 is 0.49 of
> the diagonal or 13.2". If you want around the same height as a 27" 4:3
> TV for the picture, you need to get a 32" or 34" 16:9 widescreen.

Hmmmmm.... Point taken. But dang do the bucks add up fast!

> The HD tuner is for over the air digital broadcast stations, you will
> presumably need a set top box & dish for satellite. But if you live near
> a major city, you should be able to get a number of HD channels for free
> over the air, all you need is an antenna (UHF is the most important part
> as almost all digital stations are currently broadcasting on the UHF
> band) and a ATSC tuner. Check www.antennaweb.org as a starting point to
> see how many digital TV stations are in your area.
>
> I have HD cable (Adelphia), but they do not currently provide any of
> the PBS stations nor WB, UPN in their HD lineups. So I have put up a $25
> UHF antenna in my attic and get all of the 7 HD stations in Washington
> DC and some of the Baltimore stations. I have spent extra money on a
> signal amplifier, but that is because the UPN station is at low power
> and I want to get some of the Baltimore stations.

Thanks...good info.

> If you have never seen HD, OTOH, you must not have any Best Buys,
> Circuit City, Sears, or similar stores nearby? Heck, even Walmart
> sometimes has HD displayed in their stores.

Heh, no they're around. I don't visit such places much unless I'm
prepared to buy, and I'm more a music guy than TV guy. But yes, I'm an
electronics laggard. I got a cell phone recently from my work, and
everyone snickers at me because I can hardly use the darn thing, heh
heh.

jeff
(Is "laggard" a word?)
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 13, 2005 7:28:54 PM

booke63@charter.net wrote:

> afiggatt wrote:
>
>> 26" is pretty small for a 16:9 widescreen TV. The height of a 27" 4:3
>>TV is 6/10 of the diagonal or 16.2". The height of a 26" 16:9 is 0.49 of
>>the diagonal or 13.2". If you want around the same height as a 27" 4:3
>>TV for the picture, you need to get a 32" or 34" 16:9 widescreen.
>

> Hmmmmm.... Point taken. But dang do the bucks add up fast!

The problem with the bigger TVs is that if you get a CRT, a 34"
widescreen CRT is heavy. The Sony 34" 16:9 CRTs push close to 200 lbs.
Probably beyond your budget, but a 37" or 42" ED plasma from the better
brand names - mainly Panasonic - is worth looking at. The stripped down
commercial Panasonic plasma ED monitors are down to around $1500
on-line. But you would need to get a tuner and hook the TV sound into a
sound system. But then you could get 5.1 sound for the TV shows and
stations that broadcast it and DVD & HD channels look pretty damn good
on an ED plasma.

> Thanks...good info.

For over the air info on a particular region, it is hard to beat the
forums at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45.
Avsforum.com is hard to beat, period. Probably one of the reason there
is not much traffic on this newsgroup.

>> If you have never seen HD, OTOH, you must not have any Best Buys,
>>Circuit City, Sears, or similar stores nearby? Heck, even Walmart
>>sometimes has HD displayed in their stores.
>

> Heh, no they're around. I don't visit such places much unless I'm
> prepared to buy, and I'm more a music guy than TV guy. But yes, I'm an
> electronics laggard. I got a cell phone recently from my work, and
> everyone snickers at me because I can hardly use the darn thing, heh
> heh.
>
> jeff
> (Is "laggard" a word?)

If you are seriously considering an HD TV, take the time to stop off
at several of the stores to get a feel for the variety of HD TVs. Be
careful, talking to any salesman at the big B&M stores - they are just
as likely to provide completely wrong info as correct info. Also, the
B&M (Brick & Mortar) chains can be very hit or miss on whether the TVs
are displaying true HD correctly.

Good luck,
Alan F
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 13, 2005 7:31:00 PM

Hi,

I bought a Samsung TXR2675WH almost a year ago when I wanted to start
playing with HDTV and I have been nothing but happy about my purchase.
It was $700 at the time which was within my price range and while only
26", it does give you a great HD picture without taking up the entire
room. It's in the bedroom and I like the fact it can fit in an amoire
designed for a 34" standard aspect ratio TV. I've got mine hooked to
standard analog cable for the regular stations and a Zenith Silver
Sensor indoor UHF antenna for the local HD stations (I'm about 18 miles
from antennas).

While it is compatible with 1080i broadcasts, I think it only has
800ish scan lines so it down converts everything to 720. The 2678 may
be the same, but with a 26" screen size, you probably won't miss those
extra scan lines much. I haven't.

I've been so happy with my Samsung that I quit playing with HD and got
serious a couple of weeks ago. I went out and purchased another
Samsung, this time one of the new 50" 1080p DLP units for my living
room. It's a HL-R5078W, and was significantly more than $700, but I'm
definately not playing anymore. All I can say is WOW, what a picture!!

In my experiences, Samsung has been a very good value for my money. I
don't think you will go wrong if you get the 2678.

RCNet

In article <1126557811.590708.159420@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<booke63@charter.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Pro Picture analog-to-digital video signal processing incorporates
> Total Digital Signal Processing, Pro Chip Plus and 8-bit 20MHz 3D Y/C
> digital comb filter to produce high-performance pictures from both
> analog and digital sources
>
> Side A/V and S-video inputs make it easy to connect a DVD player, game
> console or camcorder
>
> 2 HD/DVD auto sensing component inputs process 480i, 480p, 720p and
> 1080i
>
> Inputs: HDMI, 4 composite A/V (1 side, 3 rear), 2 component video (Y,
> Pb, Pr), 2 S-video, 2 RF Outputs: A/V
>
> 20-watt stereo sound with adjustable EQ and BBE high-definition sound
> processing
>
> V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to
> undesirable material
>
> Other benefits include digital channel signal strength meter and
> vertical compression for anamorphic DVDs

September 13, 2005 11:22:32 PM

Maybe my info is a bit outdated, but I thought Plamsa screens give off
the worse resolution 852x480 compared to LCD TVs that are mostly at
1366x768. CRTs on the other hand a basic SDTV is at 640x480, but the
largest CRT PC monitor can go as high as 1920x1600, as well as a large
LCD monitor. HDTV CRTs I would think be the sames as LCD TVs.

afiggatt wrote:
> booke63@charter.net wrote:
>
> > afiggatt wrote:
> >
> >> 26" is pretty small for a 16:9 widescreen TV. The height of a 27" 4:3
> >>TV is 6/10 of the diagonal or 16.2". The height of a 26" 16:9 is 0.49 of
> >>the diagonal or 13.2". If you want around the same height as a 27" 4:3
> >>TV for the picture, you need to get a 32" or 34" 16:9 widescreen.
> >

> > Hmmmmm.... Point taken. But dang do the bucks add up fast!
>
> The problem with the bigger TVs is that if you get a CRT, a 34"
> widescreen CRT is heavy. The Sony 34" 16:9 CRTs push close to 200 lbs.
> Probably beyond your budget, but a 37" or 42" ED plasma from the better
> brand names - mainly Panasonic - is worth looking at. The stripped down
> commercial Panasonic plasma ED monitors are down to around $1500
> on-line. But you would need to get a tuner and hook the TV sound into a
> sound system. But then you could get 5.1 sound for the TV shows and
> stations that broadcast it and DVD & HD channels look pretty damn good
> on an ED plasma.
>
> > Thanks...good info.
>
> For over the air info on a particular region, it is hard to beat the
> forums at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45.
> Avsforum.com is hard to beat, period. Probably one of the reason there
> is not much traffic on this newsgroup.
>
> >> If you have never seen HD, OTOH, you must not have any Best Buys,
> >>Circuit City, Sears, or similar stores nearby? Heck, even Walmart
> >>sometimes has HD displayed in their stores.
> >

> > Heh, no they're around. I don't visit such places much unless I'm
> > prepared to buy, and I'm more a music guy than TV guy. But yes, I'm an
> > electronics laggard. I got a cell phone recently from my work, and
> > everyone snickers at me because I can hardly use the darn thing, heh
> > heh.
> >
> > jeff
> > (Is "laggard" a word?)
>
> If you are seriously considering an HD TV, take the time to stop off
> at several of the stores to get a feel for the variety of HD TVs. Be
> careful, talking to any salesman at the big B&M stores - they are just
> as likely to provide completely wrong info as correct info. Also, the
> B&M (Brick & Mortar) chains can be very hit or miss on whether the TVs
> are displaying true HD correctly.
>
> Good luck,
> Alan F
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 14, 2005 3:41:41 AM

shitikdf@msn.com wrote:
> Maybe my info is a bit outdated, but I thought Plamsa screens give off
> the worse resolution 852x480 compared to LCD TVs that are mostly at
> 1366x768. CRTs on the other hand a basic SDTV is at 640x480, but the
> largest CRT PC monitor can go as high as 1920x1600, as well as a large
> LCD monitor. HDTV CRTs I would think be the sames as LCD TVs.

HDTV CRTs are analog with scan lines, so comparing them to a digital
pixel display is not a straightforward proposition. However, the typical
effective resolution of the HD CRTs is generally regarded as 800 to 900
"pixels" vertically, maybe 1100 to 1200 pixels horizontally. The Sony
high-end widescreen 34" CRT is called a high resolution monitor because
it provides around 1400 effective pixels horizontally. Which matches
nicely the 1440x1080 broadcast standard where the 1920 source is down
sampled to 1440 (3:4) pixels of actual information to save bandwidth.
Which as I understand is done for virtually all 1080i broadcasts.

The ED plasmas are indeed 852x480p, but are progressive displays which
display HD signals and display SD natively. I suspect we will have
another clueless ED vs HD topic drift here, so I won't get into it.
However, HD TV is not just about increased pixel resolution - better
color accuracy, digital signal, embedded 5.1 sound capability are also
part of the improvement over SD. For someone on a budget, an ED plasma
is a viable option.

Alan F
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 14, 2005 3:53:59 AM

"Model: TXR2678WH

This 26" TV with built-in HDTV tuner lets you tap into
high-definition
signals and enjoy flicker-free, progressive-scan pictures, finer
pixel
dot pitch and a DynaFlat tube - all for an outstanding home
entertainment experience. "

I have an older version of this, the 2670WH. My biggest complaint
about it is the coarse dot pitch. If they've made it finer now, then
this should give you an excellent picture for your money. CRTs may be
clunky, but no LCD or projector can give you as good an image.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 14, 2005 11:04:47 PM

BEST BUY -- "Finer pixel dot-pitch flat CRT for improved picture
resolution and brightness" when I read that spec, it was what keyed me
to purchasing this television online. It is scheduled to be delivered
to me this Saturday I can't wait to try it out. I bought a 27" Sansui
TV from Best Buy earlier this year it was a Flat SDTV, It had terrible
dot phosphor that was often hard to see any text on screen at a
resoluton above 800x600 when I a PC is attached to it. I should have
read up on TV specs before getting that TV though. 480i is definitely
not the way to go, you can't even do progressive at that aspect.

Paul Kienitz wrote:
> "Model: TXR2678WH
>
> This 26" TV with built-in HDTV tuner lets you tap into
> high-definition
> signals and enjoy flicker-free, progressive-scan pictures, finer
> pixel
> dot pitch and a DynaFlat tube - all for an outstanding home
> entertainment experience. "
>
> I have an older version of this, the 2670WH. My biggest complaint
> about it is the coarse dot pitch. If they've made it finer now, then
> this should give you an excellent picture for your money. CRTs may be
> clunky, but no LCD or projector can give you as good an image.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
September 18, 2005 8:01:36 PM

I just wanted to make an update I got the tv, and im very impressed
with it. I never thought the picture of a DirectView tube could look so
beautiful, the colors are sharp and vibrant, its like looking at a
moving high quality digital image. Jst from the NFL on FOX in HD is
simply amazing. Also, the full colored menus that Samsung added to the
TV offers a lot of options. I love this tv, I wish Bestbuy would sell
the 30" version of this tv TX-R3075WH as i would love to see it at a
larger size.

!