• Homebuilt
  • Software
  • Compatibility
  • Windows Vista
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2008 11:19:20 PM

I have seen quite a few builds mention getting Vista 64 bit for the OS. This really confuses me.

Most of what I have read says Vista 64 has a ton of software compatibility issues because most software only works in 32 bit.

Am I missing something or is Vista 64 really a viable OS for general purposes?

Thanks!

More about : vista bit

June 17, 2008 11:33:22 PM

All 32bit application level software works in 64 bit perfectly, no exceptions.

32bit hardware drivers, however, will not work on 64bit os. That used to be a problem 2-4 years ago, but now, 64bit drivers are out for everything.

32bit os is limited in i/o addressing, which limits your ram to 3.1-3.3gb after other components and video ram takes up addresses. 64bit can use more memory.
June 18, 2008 4:38:36 AM

Linux!

No just kidding Vista 64 is fine and required if you want to use more than 4GB of RAM.
Related resources
June 18, 2008 4:52:18 AM

Dagger said it all. I use vista x64 and all my apps run fine. It's really stable with the right x64 drivers. You just need to go make sure that you can find x64 drivers for all your hardware, if so then go x64.

BTW if you buy a retail version of vista you can send away for the x64 disc for the cost of shipping. you can use the same key to switch back and forth if you like. (Ultimate version comes with x64 and x86 disc inside)
June 18, 2008 5:18:38 AM

Along the same lines, is it worth going to ultimate or is home premium 64 bit enough?
June 18, 2008 5:41:49 AM

The only usefull thing that i found in vista ultimate is that it has a disc imaging utility built in. it allows you to make a perfect backup and restore it. It works with raid and is a godsend if make lots of changes to yoru system. A similiar utlity would be like 50 bucks which is about the price difference between home premium and ultimate (if your looking at OEM copies) so i say it's worth it.

On a side note it has disk encryption for sensitive data. and dreamscene which allows you to run video as a desktop background.

None of this is usefull for gaming. hope that helps.
June 18, 2008 5:44:25 AM

I fail to see any reason to get ultimate,just not worth the extra cost imo.
June 18, 2008 5:52:47 AM

I recently purchased Vista for a dual-boot. If you do decide to go the Vista route, definitely get the 64bit version. If you purchase the 32-bit version, it will only recognize up to 3.5GB of RAM (or somewhere around that number. 64-bit OS' can recognize way beyond that.

I went for the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium. I have absolutely no idea what I am missing from Ultimate, but to be completely honest with you, I now wish that I had just purchased XP 64-bit. Vista offers me absolutely nothing right now and I have found myself using XP 98% of the time. I wanted Vista for the DX10 capabilities, but I've yet to find a game that I want that is DX10 capable. Perhaps soon...
June 18, 2008 6:43:23 AM

^I believe Spore is going to be Dx10 capable, as will Farcry 2 and most 360 ports (as the Ati GPU allows psuedo DX10/9 processing).
Current list of my Dx10 capable titles Assassin's Creed, Crysis, World in conflict, U3 (not sure on this one). Company of Heroes, opossing fronts also uses DX10
June 18, 2008 10:27:04 AM

Most of the Compatibility issues are going away and from running Vista x64 ulti on my hp laptop and on my desktop i have only had one issue and that is Starcraft slightly messing up the graphics in the menus but the in game is perfect....what u expect from 10year old game.

I personally haven't had any issues and there initial generic drivers for after o/s install are very good. (But still install updated drivers lol)
June 18, 2008 1:01:53 PM

erad89145 said:
Most of what I have read says Vista 64 has a ton of software compatibility issues because most software only works in 32 bit.

Overblown BS from people who don't understand how the OS works, added to by XP fans who hate Vista and want it to fail. The simple fact is that both 64 Bit XP and 64 bit Vista both run 32 bit programs just fine. There is an idea out there that WOW64 does the translation, and that the overhead is offset by combining 32 bit commands into a 64 bit string. - I know I thought that until educating myself on the subject some more.

But the truth is simple and far, far more elegant: The processor doesn't care, right?? And so binaries run natively on the processor exactly the same way they would under a 32 bit OS. There's a small amount overhead because WOW64 has to do some correction of file locations, registry locations, and the like. But as far as running the code, that's 100% native on the CPU just as it would be in 32-bit Windows.

(BTW - Reading "Inside Windows" is a little bit painful at times without a programming degree - But worth it if you really want to know how/why.)

Vista (and XP) 64 suffered a bit in the past because of a scarcity of 64 bit device drivers. But that issue is resolved for anything less than a couple years old. Well... Unless you buy Creative products, in which case your recourse is to place your sound card into a large paper bag filled with dog droppings, set that on the doorstep at Creative's Headquarters, light it on fire, and run.

If you want to do that, follow a Great Dane around for superior volumetric efficiency. :D 
June 18, 2008 5:01:02 PM

That about does it for me. Thanks for your answers guys, you have really decided this for me.

I am gonna make sure my hardware has drivers and then go forward with 64.

Thanks Again!!!

:D 
June 25, 2008 9:02:15 PM

Do note that if you have any (prehistoric) 16 bit programs, they are not gonna work on Vista 64bit. Other than that, 64 bit is what I'd recommend (I use it too!)
June 25, 2008 10:28:09 PM

Yeah, if you are gonna jump on Vista, I really don't see any point choosing 32-bit instead of 64-bit. Just about most driver incompatibilities have been taken care of. There have initially been some games that had issues with Vista 64-bit, but I believe they have been mostly taken care of.

No, I don't know which games since I am not an avid gamer and I am still running Windows XP Pro. Probably won't switch to a newer OS until Windows 7 which is scheduled to be released either later 2009 or early 2010. Timetable subject to change depending on the number of software bugs.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2009 12:25:37 AM

shata said:
Most of the Compatibility issues are going away and from running Vista x64 ulti on my hp laptop and on my desktop i have only had one issue and that is Starcraft slightly messing up the graphics in the menus but the in game is perfect....what u expect from 10year old game.

I personally haven't had any issues and there initial generic drivers for after o/s install are very good. (But still install updated drivers lol)

you can fix the starcraft graphics by running it in windows 98 mode with 256 color option turned on... works perfect just like old 32 bit! :) 
!