Would a dieing non boot drive cause this?

dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
question: i have two hard drives. both seagates. one is new(boot drive) and the other is about 2 years old(non boot drive). if the one that is 2 years old is going out, would it cause clicking noises(can't tell which drive it's coming from) and the pauses when surfing the internet even if it wasn't the boot drive?

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

backup all your data and run the seagate tools.

It's a bootcd that will let you run some tests on your hard drives.

You can download ultimatebootcd too.

If you got a new Seagate hard drive that is a 7200.11 (not .12), it's probably it.

Brad

D

Deleted member 217926

Ok as I understand it the reallocated sector count is where the HD found a bad sector and replaced it with a reserve. It does this to make sure the OS still works even with a bad sector. Now the bad news is it does mean a hardware failure on some level. Some drives can last for years like this but it sounds like you found the one thats causing noises. If the error rate goes up then for sure the drive is failing.
Seagate had some known bad drives a while ago so while I wont recommend against them ( I have one 5 years old still as a backup) I do usually buy WD now.
Back up everything on that drive.
Replace with something like WD640 Black or 1tb Black for speed or Green series for storage.