Sign in with
Your question

How do I remove this CPU fan?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 25, 2009 6:38:58 PM

I'm upgrading my CPU and would like to remove the previous fan to get at the socket, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the fan!

Here's a pic.

Any ideas? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting... Kind of unsure what I'm supposed to do here!

Thanks for any tips.

More about : remove cpu fan

May 25, 2009 7:23:36 PM

thebigtatanka said:
I'm upgrading my CPU and would like to remove the previous fan to get at the socket, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the fan!

Here's a pic. http://i39.tinypic.com/n2co00.jpg

Any ideas? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting... Kind of unsure what I'm supposed to do here!

Thanks for any tips.

You see the 4 corners ? You see the pins in those corners ? You see the top of those pins, there is a black arrow, turn the pins in the direction of the arrow. Then pull up on the pins.
m
l
May 25, 2009 8:06:30 PM

As a warning, its a royal b*tch to get back on, so unless you already have your replacement in hand, I would advice against removing it.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2009 8:42:56 PM

The best thing you could do is take out the motherboard, so you can fit the new cpu and cooler the right way. I would also use some thermal compound like Arctic Cooling MX-2
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
May 25, 2009 10:22:53 PM

More specifically, you need to rotate each pin 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then pull up.

If you are going to resue the HSF, rotate the pins 1/4 turn clockwise. Then they will be in the proper position for installation.
m
l
May 26, 2009 6:39:31 AM

Hope you didnt damage your board with the pulling, pushing, twisting...
m
l
May 26, 2009 7:02:35 AM

^ +1. Make sure when you do reinstall the CPU or new fan that you do install new thermal paste. I personally use OCZ FreeZe and its great. And cheap too....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 8:33:20 PM

At least you didn't get to hammer and chisel and decided to ask.
m
l
!