How do I remove this CPU fan?

I'm upgrading my CPU and would like to remove the previous fan to get at the socket, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the fan!

Here's a pic.

Any ideas? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting... Kind of unsure what I'm supposed to do here!

Thanks for any tips.
7 answers Last reply
More about remove
  1. thebigtatanka said:
    I'm upgrading my CPU and would like to remove the previous fan to get at the socket, but can't seem to figure out how to remove the fan!

Here's a pic. http://i39.tinypic.com/n2co00.jpg

Any ideas? I've tried pulling, pushing, twisting... Kind of unsure what I'm supposed to do here!

Thanks for any tips.

You see the 4 corners ? You see the pins in those corners ? You see the top of those pins, there is a black arrow, turn the pins in the direction of the arrow. Then pull up on the pins.
  2. As a warning, its a royal b*tch to get back on, so unless you already have your replacement in hand, I would advice against removing it.
  3. The best thing you could do is take out the motherboard, so you can fit the new cpu and cooler the right way. I would also use some thermal compound like Arctic Cooling MX-2
  4. More specifically, you need to rotate each pin 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then pull up.

If you are going to resue the HSF, rotate the pins 1/4 turn clockwise. Then they will be in the proper position for installation.
  5. Hope you didnt damage your board with the pulling, pushing, twisting...
  6. ^ +1. Make sure when you do reinstall the CPU or new fan that you do install new thermal paste. I personally use OCZ FreeZe and its great. And cheap too....
  7. At least you didn't get to hammer and chisel and decided to ask.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Fan CPUs Overclocking