The future of processors

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Ok, so I'm starting college in a month, and my classes so far are geared towards electrical engineering, because I want to eventually work for Intel/AMD/ATI/Nvidia designing chips for them.

The only problem is that I've been hearing about conventional processors coming to the end of their life. Eventually we will need to switch to some other type of processor. A few that I've heard of deal with light and fiber optics, and also of course the quantum computers.

So, I don't want to waste my four years of college time learning the stuff I need to know to design processors only to have them dead by the time I'm done. I'm not sure when the change will be made, but I'm fairly certain it will be in the next 15 to 20 years, and I'd rather have a longer career than that.

I just don't know exactly what I should be studying in college to eventually be useful to these companies. What do you guys think would be the best option for me? Thanks for all your help.

Hard sciences and math, but never downplay experience. That means internships, constant communication with HR people in every company you can think of for opportunities. Snail mail, e-mails, phone calls etc. Utilize your colleges job counselors, department heads, instructors, job fairs and all the resources that the school can provide. You're gonna be paying for it, get your moneys worth. Yeah and don't screw up, no jail.

p3r0p4tj

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
As it so happens I am entering my second year in an electircal engineering program. All of my professors, as well as many businessmen have said that what you learn in college merely gives you the tools to complete a task... it does not teach you to perform your duties in the real world. They said that upon hiring a new intern or full time employee there is always a learning curve for them because you just simply can't cover everything in college that will be needed in the real world. There is still a high demand for electrical engineers.. so high that I managed to snag an "interniship" in the summer after my first year. Good luck to you and study hard.

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
NO!!! You're coming to a forum where a lot of us spend our time tweaking our PC's because we want smoother looking games (I know I do), and you want us to help you with a decision about your college major?

Do what I did. You can't go wrong with English Lit.

QFT

99% of what you learn, you will never use.
99% of what you need to know for a job, you will never learn.

I learnt everything to know about databases, but had no idea how to access one from a C# program when I actually got a job. Heck, a year on the job, and I haven't used anything I was taught in a classroom yet.

All college is for is getting that first job at a decent wage/salary. After that, no one cares anymore.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

:lol:

Just do a real subject (like engineering) and you'll be grand.

At the end of the day, computing logic is not going to change, data storage may improve from binary to hexi-decimal for instance, component materials may change, but what you'll learn in the leccy engineering will stand to you.

The engineers working on the optical circuits are electrical engineers.

Quantum computers are not gonna become commonplace in our lives (unless there is a seismic shift in technology), so don't worry about them.

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Go study solid state physics.

lordfiend

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hey there I don't know what all people are talking about the poor guy wants a career advice, stop beating the bush you all. Career is a serious issue.

And moving to the topic, you should complete your engineering with elective subjects like hardware designing, micro engineering,advanced chip design etc.

and ultimately finish with advanced diploma in chip disigning which will include 6-12 months of study and 6 months of interactive industrial training. But make sure you complete diploma from worthy college, cause then you may get chance to train under Intel, AMD, Nvidiaetc. themself and mind it making to these companies at worthy position will really take toll of effort.

Be prepared. Best of Luck. Cheers. GOD BLESS YOU.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Well Stick with electical engineering and lets say you have a 20 year carreer you can always expand upon it. :kaola: very much I would like to do once I start college :) plain going Electrical and If I am interested software.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Remember that college is not about learning at the undergrad level, its about proving you are mature enough to pass 4 years of classes and showing that you are capable of completing tasks.

As the industry transitions to light or quantum computing, the corporate research will be where these innovations are discovered and passed on to entrenched engineers (i.e. you in 20 years).

Some Community colleges have things set up with some of them. Like where I live, Pima Community College has a thing setup with Intel. You take the course and can apply for a internship with Intel. You do well after graduation you can get a job at either the Chandler, Oregon or Colorado site.

My friend did the program and now works for Intel In Chandler and makes a lot.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
There is no more Colorado site.

As for the OP's interest in working for CPU design. Good luck. Like jimmysmitty mentioned, you might want to do an internship before solidifying your choice. Don't go into a major that is just good for one sector. Electrical, chemical, or even a combination of both will be better than strict circuit design.

Also, you have to realize that as a new engineer, you will not be assigned to any design teams, unless you are some genius or prodigy. More than likely, you will be part of a team, that does one part to make the CPU, rather than design the CPU.

While it is something that is nice, I can tell you from 1st hand experience, it's not a job that is for anyone that cannot take criticism or has thin skin. I've seen many engineers believe they are going to change the industry, only to leave within a year or so. They just didn't realize the amount of work that was necessary.

Good luck in your endeavor. This wasn't to scare you, but to make you see what to expect.

^hmmm never knew they closed that site. Oh well.

The one perk my friend has, and I am sure is the same with AMD/ATI/nVidia, is that he gets the highest end chip they have each year for free. When he first started he had the first P4 EE and I am sure this year he will be getting either a QX9650/QX9770 or the high end Nehalem.

I envy him.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The chip program is not always the highest CPU, btw. And if the QX are offered, they are gone before you can even ask for one, I know (no, really, I know).

I don't think there will be any QX9770 or even Nehalem CPUs available for the program anytime soon. Really. It doesn't work that way. LOL.

If your friend thinks he will get a Nehalem, he is sadly mistaken. Like I said, it doesn't work that way. He can purchase one at a discounted price, sure, but he won't get one for free anytime soon.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Ok, I just want to say thanks to everyone that has helped. I'm pretty confident now that I just need to stick with what I'm doing.

I did apply for an internship at Intel this summer, but unfortunately I didn't get it. It's still good that I tried though, and I will keep trying and try to make sure they know who I am. Also, my mom works in a high school, and one of her student's dad is a head chip designer for Intel. He makes a tun of money... but anyway, I do have some connections, and I will definitely work hard through school and keep trying to get involved with companies in the business.

Thanks everyone.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002

You are definitely on the right track - work those connections for all they're worth. Contact your friend's dad in a few months and ask him to ask around about internships for next year. Don't apply for one - apply for as many as you can. Persistence is one of the keys to success.