Strange problems with installing any OS.

heckar

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Hello Tom's hardware :) I often visit your site but never actually posted on the forum.

Ok, so onto my problem.

I built an almost new PC, containing -

Asus P5VD2-X Motherboard
Intel Q6600 with Stock intel fan.
2 GB Kingston Valueram

and my old parts, Seagate 250gb, 40GB Maxtor, and a geforce 7600GT, and my 400W PSU.

When i tried to reinstall windows XP Professional ( I tend to do that when installing a lot new hardware ), it rebooted. During the install, around the point where you have to select your timezone.

I thought, hey, could happen.

So i re-tried. It rebooted again, even earlier this time.

So I thought the temps of my CPU weren't good. It was 36C when i looked in the bios. I know it could be wrong, but it gives a good indication, no?

So i tried a diffirent disk of windows. Same problem.

Then I tried a 64 bit of windows. again. Same went for my 2 Vista disks, one 32B and an 64B version.

Now the strange thing. I also tried Windows 98. ( with only 1gb of ram insterted now ), and that went fine.

I can leave the PC up and running for hours and hours in the bios without it crashing, but

I am seriously baffled by this
What could be up?
:pfff:

Alvertte

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Test your RAM with memtest or other software ..Do you have a new Optical drive ?

Also erase,format and check the hard disk with the utilities from the maker of the HDD.

If you can upgrade the power supply to 550 W with a good brand name such as antec.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Memtest86+ first. Reformat your HHD, or stick it in another PC to read the S.M.A.R.T. status, try to fix bad sectors, possible HHD damage.

heckar

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
thanks for all the replies!

I will try all you guys said .... posting with an ameo now..in a car.

the hdd part not tho, i tried it this morning with multiple hdd s...same problem.

anyway,thanks! :bounce:

heckar

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

My PSU? It's a SP-ATX-400W, from Spire.
I used a Wattage Calculator from a link from this forum, and that said i needed around 350W. So I think it's enough..

I tried using the 2nd RAM stick, and it had the exact same problem. ( With either Vista and XP )

How exactly do I read the SMART status? I know theres a option in the BIOS that enables SMART but what it exactly does i never understood.
But i'll try to do the memtest86+ now. First gotta find a USB stick then...

heckar

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I ran the memtest86+ test, it ran for 9,5 hours without any errors...

I'm going crazy. :(

dsc00042lw8.jpg

heckar

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Come on.. Anyone? :<

I tried some more stuff now tho. I tried using a new PSU, 450 watt, but primarily because the +12v line on my old PSU wasn't exactly "steady".

This new one almost perfectly keeps 12v so that is fine..

I also tried using another video card ( Old PCI Video card thing ).

All, the same problem....

:fou: :pt1cable: :heink: :cry: