Samsung HD753 LJ Does not show all space and other question

swaresnis

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Helo everyone, so today i installed my new 750 GB HDD, and the odd thing is, it doesnt show 750 GB, it shows 698 GB, thats odd. Why that might be?

I am using Windows XP SP3, motherboard Asus P5KPL, CPU Core 2 Duo E7200, 4Gb Ram, 2 HDDs Samsung Samsung HD160JJ (160GB) & Samsung HD750LJ (750GB).

Besides another thing, my CPU was overcloked for quite some time from 2.53 to 3.16 GHz, when i inserted the HDD during the partitions of new HDD format it restarted, and restarted quite few times until i reseted FSB of CPU to default, now works properly.

So my another question is, did what was the reason that PC was rebooting when CPU is overclocked and 2 HDDs are installed?

Thanks in advance :)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have NOT lost any space. The problem is that Hard Drive makers define a "Gigabyte" as 1,000,000,000 bytes, but M$ Windows uses that same name for 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes, which is 1,073,741,824 bytes. So 750,000,000,000 bytes suddenly becomes 698.49 of M$'s version of a "Gigabyte". It is the SAME space, unfortunately labeled by two groups using two different measurement tools, but using the same NAME! Talk about dumb manufacturers and their marketers!

swaresnis

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
thanks for the answer :) how about second question ?

"Besides another thing, my CPU was overcloked for quite some time from 2.53 to 3.16 GHz, when i inserted the HDD during the partitions of new HDD format it restarted, and restarted quite few times until i reseted FSB of CPU to default, now works properly.

So my another question is, did what was the reason that PC was rebooting when CPU is overclocked and 2 HDDs are installed?

"

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know the answer to that one. I can GUESS - but that's not a big help. My thinking is that just MAYBE your PSU is just barely enough for your machine, and adding a second HDD lowered a voltage a little causing the overclocked balance to change and fail. The other related possibility is that, somehow without realizing it, while you were installing the second HDD you also changed one of the voltage or speed settings you had for the overclock.

swaresnis

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
hmmm i didnt customised voltage at all, only FSb and that was months ago, but thanks :) still though would be good to know the reason, indeed with PSU might be possible, im using 450 watt PSU besides GPU is Radeon HD3850 256 Ram

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The reason I mentioned voltages is that, although I do not overclock anything, I read that may who do find that they have to increase certain voltages in order to make the system perform reliably at the higher speeds they set. From what you say, you never did this. But that might be what you need to do to get back to your overclock conditions. Read other forums here to see whether that is a good idea for you.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Disks don't consume much power, even during spin up, making the power supply explanation less likely (though possible). Something like 15W for a disk, as opposed to 130W for some Cpu and >200W for some video cards.

On very old chipsets, some frequencies were linked together, like Fsb and Pci, and I think the P-Ata clock shifts with the Fsb at my i815ep. This would hamper proper communication, especially as the host and the disk would have different clocks then.

Atto can test some disks errors from within Windows. Seatools does it better and from outside Windows
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools

swaresnis

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
thanks for the answers ;)

well i think i will need to read more about overclocking than to see the reason.

Besides ran the tests, no errors on both hdds.

Another question, im soon thinking to reinstall windows and my question is:

is it good to make separate HDD for OS? i have 160 HDD as i wrote, its 7200 RPM and 8 MB cache. Or is it better to share in partitions new HDD with 32mb cache and to use one partition (~100 GB) for OS and rest of partitions share to install certain data and other files?