HSF direction on i7? vertical or horizontal and why

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Well, I need to put my Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on my i7 920, but I'm not sure what direction is the best way. I have my fan pointed towards the back of the case with my Core2Duo CPU. Should I have it pointed up with an i7 or the same direction I have it now?

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
It appears that having the fan facing up and down is slightly better than with them facing the horizontal direction according to xbit labs test of a bunch of i7 coolers. Here is a link to a review of the Dark Knight and read at the bottom of the page.

I have my TRUE oriented in the same way mainly because in my case the intake fan is directly above it and it gets fed with fresh cool filtered air (part of the reason I bought the SilverStone Fortress).

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I dunno... If the fan is facing down to up, and you have a hot graphics card, whould the hot air from the graphics card end up going to the HSF? Therefore heating your CPU?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

In the review that said to position the HSF blowing up, they had a larger Nvidia GPU. With that being said, I have a GTX 260 C 216 and a very large fan on my CPU heatsink. The test showed lowered temps with it that way, so it must make a difference. I think the fan would pull air from all over the case, as the fan I use is rated at 133CFM at 3000RPM, and I run it at half speed. I think most of the heat emitted from the GPU is removed by the exhaust fan through the back of the case. Some warm air rises, of course, but it doesn't seem to be to the degree of making anything warmer and in fact the CPU temp is lower.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Put your computer on it's side so it doesn't matter.
Usually having it direct air to the back fan to help move air out of the case is the most effencient.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I also have the FT01 case, but a Noctua HSF. After measuring, I got about 1.5 CM more room with the fans going horizontal. The upper intake still blows air through the HSF fins, and the HSF exhausts about 5 CM away from, and directly into the case exhaust fan. Is it the best orientation? Don't know, and don't feel like pulling the MB out to test someone else's theories. All I do know is that an hour of prime95, 8 sessions, SFT, raises my cores about 4 to 6C, from the low 40's to higher 40's...

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
This is how mine looks

3.jpg

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
It was an inch or two short of being able to run behind the MB tray an just made it the way I did it.

Also, with that 750W PSU, your motherboard needs a few more 4670s in Xfire.

When I built I figured I would upgrade both the ram and video card later since I was sure that better ram at a better price would be coming and plan on waiting on the 40nm mid to high range cards to be released (I'm not a big gamer so the 4670 will do fine for a while). As for X-fire I only have 1 slot open and may fill it with another tuner.