Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unwanted remote program on pc?....

Last response: in Windows XP
October 21, 2010 9:47:45 PM

My friend thinks he may have a remote program monitoring his computer. Anyone know how one could 1) determine if there are any unwanted remote applications on the computer, and 2) remove them if they are present?

Best solution

a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 12:15:06 AM

Download ccleaner. Check out the installed programs. Then check out the services that start with windows. If any of them look fishy, google them.

start-->control panel-->remote tab-->disable the remote assistance.

If he thinks it's malware, run through the malware guide in my signature.
October 22, 2010 1:02:50 AM

Hi Alford, I worked with you b4 and you are magnificent. I'm downloading Ccleaner now. Also, I'm getting an error message at 1st logon:

"Winlogon.exe - Bad image, The app DLL C:\Windows\System32\sfc.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your install diskette". I close it and the OS loads. I'm wondering, does this sound like some of the OS files are corrupted?
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 1:16:54 AM

Glad I could be of some help. :) 

Yes, it sounds like one of your system files is damaged. Insert your XP disc, go to start-->run-->type sfc /scannow and press enter. It should fix the damaged file(s).
m
l
October 22, 2010 1:32:11 AM

This is a Dell Dimension 2400. What I have is a Dell Reinstallation CD. Will I be able to repair the OS files with this without reinstalling entire OS?
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 1:42:58 AM

It should work, but you may have to explore the disc to find the file.

Just don't let it run the recovery.
m
l
October 22, 2010 1:47:32 AM

Ok, thanks very much. I will NOT let it run recovery for sure.

Trying to disable Remote Assistance, following your direction:
start-->control panel-->remote tab-->disable the remote assistance.
Somethings missing.

start-->control panel-->administrative tools --> services ?? then there are several entries about remote assistance there, don't know which one to disable. assistance.
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 1:50:58 AM

Sorry, I missed a step.
start-->control panel-->system-->remote tab
m
l
October 22, 2010 4:34:27 AM

Thank you, remote assistance is now turned off. Am attempting to use the Dell Reinstall cd to locate and repair the damaged sfc file, will let you know how it goes. I will NOT run the recovery :0) Have a good night.
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 4:40:28 AM

Thanks,
U2!
m
l
October 29, 2010 12:59:11 AM

Best answer selected by ckmckee.
m
l