Protect bare (uncased) flash drive from physical damage

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Bit of preample before I get to my question, bear with me. So my 8GB Cruzer died (or so I thought)--it was totally unresponsive when plugging it into a variety of PCs. I tried cleaning the contacts and gently squeezing/twisting the casing to see if I could reconnect anything that had come loose inside, all without effect. As a last ditch, I cracked the case open and plugged the interior component (just a board, flash mem, and a USB plug) in--voila, it works.

I realize I can't trust this "Franken-drive" with critical data, but it would be nice to load UBCDWin (technically, it would actually be UBUSB) onto it and leave it in my glove box. Here's my question: what's the best way to protect the components now that they don't have a case? I considered good ol' duct tape, but I'm worried it won't conduct heat away. Should I just leave it naked? Any other ideas?

Solution
Considering how many flash drives have plastic cases I'd be surprised if you need to worry that much about heat conductivity. Duct tape sounds like a good solution to me. You might want make the first layer from electrical tape just in case the duct tape is conductive.
Considering how many flash drives have plastic cases I'd be surprised if you need to worry that much about heat conductivity. Duct tape sounds like a good solution to me. You might want make the first layer from electrical tape just in case the duct tape is conductive.

Solution

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
stick it inside something novel... say, a stuffed bunny rabbit, sticking out where the bunny's junk would be. a stuffed bunny humping your USB port would be so... well, something.

hattrick68

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009

Just curious, because I have first hand experience with the incredible quality of Cruzer ;) Why not just go spend another $12 for a new one? Or better yet, get an OCZ Rally 2 high speed USB drive?

mkny13

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

I did replace it, with an adata 16GB stick. But as I've gotten a second life out of the cruzer, why not put it to some use?

I think I'm going for electric tape. I still worry a bit about thermal conductivity but I'll take my chances.