Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Protect bare (uncased) flash drive from physical damage

Last response: in Storage
October 13, 2009 5:10:21 PM

Bit of preample before I get to my question, bear with me. So my 8GB Cruzer died (or so I thought)--it was totally unresponsive when plugging it into a variety of PCs. I tried cleaning the contacts and gently squeezing/twisting the casing to see if I could reconnect anything that had come loose inside, all without effect. As a last ditch, I cracked the case open and plugged the interior component (just a board, flash mem, and a USB plug) in--voila, it works.

I realize I can't trust this "Franken-drive" with critical data, but it would be nice to load UBCDWin (technically, it would actually be UBUSB) onto it and leave it in my glove box. Here's my question: what's the best way to protect the components now that they don't have a case? I considered good ol' duct tape, but I'm worried it won't conduct heat away. Should I just leave it naked? Any other ideas?

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
October 13, 2009 10:17:08 PM

Considering how many flash drives have plastic cases I'd be surprised if you need to worry that much about heat conductivity. Duct tape sounds like a good solution to me. You might want make the first layer from electrical tape just in case the duct tape is conductive.
October 14, 2009 5:05:37 AM

stick it inside something novel... say, a stuffed bunny rabbit, sticking out where the bunny's junk would be. a stuffed bunny humping your USB port would be so... well, something.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 14, 2009 2:11:08 PM

I've seen articles (I think PopSci) that the person encased it using PlastiDip (they used clear, so you could see inside, but it sells in a number of colors).

m
l
October 14, 2009 4:21:35 PM

mkny13 said:
Bit of preample before I get to my question, bear with me. So my 8GB Cruzer died (or so I thought)--it was totally unresponsive when plugging it into a variety of PCs. I tried cleaning the contacts and gently squeezing/twisting the casing to see if I could reconnect anything that had come loose inside, all without effect. As a last ditch, I cracked the case open and plugged the interior component (just a board, flash mem, and a USB plug) in--voila, it works.

I realize I can't trust this "Franken-drive" with critical data, but it would be nice to load UBCDWin (technically, it would actually be UBUSB) onto it and leave it in my glove box. Here's my question: what's the best way to protect the components now that they don't have a case? I considered good ol' duct tape, but I'm worried it won't conduct heat away. Should I just leave it naked? Any other ideas?

Just curious, because I have first hand experience with the incredible quality of Cruzer ;)  Why not just go spend another $12 for a new one? Or better yet, get an OCZ Rally 2 high speed USB drive?
m
l
October 21, 2009 3:30:12 PM

hattrick68 said:
Just curious, because I have first hand experience with the incredible quality of Cruzer ;)  Why not just go spend another $12 for a new one? Or better yet, get an OCZ Rally 2 high speed USB drive?

I did replace it, with an adata 16GB stick. But as I've gotten a second life out of the cruzer, why not put it to some use?

I think I'm going for electric tape. I still worry a bit about thermal conductivity but I'll take my chances.
m
l
!