joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I know its been posted a few times on here but mines a bit different ive just made a new rig and ive come across the old no output to moitor it dosent display it but the monitor is just as if it was off, this is driving me insane , eveything sounds and looks normal but no display, tried 2 different monitors, 2 different monitor outputs (on gfx card) both monitors work on my old comp. tried using each stick of ram in each slot....... nothing, tried booting with only what is neccesary......nothing, first thoughts were graphics card prob, booted without any ram but there were no beeps which makes me lean more towards the mobo. Just now i took out the direct link between then psu and gfx and it was normal like not booting but fans lights etc came on :SSS maybe now its 3 things aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
E8500 3.16
512MB Sapphire HD4870
750W TX Corsair PSU
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2 (800MHz)

Thank you.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Is the 4-pin connector on the motherboard, close to the CPU socket, pluged in to the PSU?

Is the switch on the PSU turned on and is the PSU set to the correct voltage.

Do you have a DVOM?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Your PSU harness might have an eight pin connector. Look at it closely you will see that it seperates into two 4-pin connectors. Plug one of them into the 4-pin socket on the MB @ CPU socket.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Try to plug the mnitor when ur inside windows ...for example mines Viewsonic VX2025wm when at first i wanted to use this DVI option didnt work until i just unplug the dvi cable to the motherboard and then when is was running windows i plug it again .. and voila the monitor dvi respond .. try both dvi inputs in the motherboard if doesnt work ...

joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah it was the 8 that split into 4 missed that one :p cheers. But now when i boot i get to windows is loading files then it just turns itself off :s surely 1 min is too soon for it to turn itself off from overheating :SS!;

Thanks for getting me booted up though!

joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
its the cpu overheating by the time i got to bois it was at 99 and kept rising then died, i didnt get any thermal paste or anything with it and im sure the fan is on right and ive got antec 300 and that has 2 fans right next to the cpu running at high.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Thermal paste is desperately needed. Even though your heatsink may be flush on you CPU, on a microscopic scale, there are spaces that need filled. This is where the thermal paste comes in. It fills in the small "gaps" and allows for a much better heat transfer.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
You didnt see that the heat sink had thermal paste on it? Did you remove the plastic cover?

Completly reseat the CPU, inspect the heat-sink, do not reinstall the HSF unless it has thermal paste on the foot print of the CPU. Be sure the HSF is securly attached to the MB. No wobble, lifting off of the CPU. It is best for first timers with 775 socket HSF to install with MB removed so you can see that the inner pins are spreading the locking fingers and locked into place. It is also easier to support the MB when out of the case.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
played around with the heatsink still from when i got to the bios 80 degrees then it turned off at 112 will thermal paste alone help that? scared to turn on and burn my chip out.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Your CPU, E8500 at stock settings, should idle in the 30*C range and at full on 100% load 40*C range. Maybe you will see 50's but I dont think so. Your case sounds like it should have good air flow.

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
YES! You need thermal paste. Go and buy a tube of MX-2 and be sure to read up on how to use it properly. DO NOT use your computer untill this is done.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
your processor should turn off before it burns up, but seriously guy, shudda doen a little research before building your computer

DONT apply too much of the grease, a small drop, half the size of a pea is MORE than enough, you better believe...

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I could be wrong but what I think is that your Heat-sink/Fan assy. is not properly attached to the motherboard and not properly seated on to the CPU. You need to concentrate on that before yo9u go any further

joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Ok ive got some thermal paste coming tomorrow, but after impatiently waiting i had another look at the heatsink and i think it was a tiny bit loose a little wobble then i looked at the bottom to see a round circle of dark grey stuff which was also on the cpu, thinking that this was the thermal paste and only just spreaded onto the cpu i turned my comp on, and the temp went up from 50 to 88/89 very slowly no where near as fast as before and occasionaly 90 (while looking in bois) im guessing this is the thermal paste but then that brings me to why is it still so high? i could run it im sure but its still way too hot, maybe the thermal paste isnt very good? or hasnt spread properly or something? + if i do still need to put new thermal paste on how do i get the old stuff off?

joeplus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
:mad: bloody thing should be here by now. Found out how to take off and apply thermal paste, think im gna have to buy a new heatsink, I dont see the new thermal paste helping much.