What hard drive to buy for VIA KM400A

Hi,

My brother's computer needs some more storage, and he is asking me for help.

He has a HP a510n, and it's got a VIA KM400A motherboard I believe.

On the specs, it states Ultra DMA or Two (2) UDMA/133 IDE controllers

I looked on Newegg, should I buy the IDE / Ultra ATA 133 hard drives? Not sure if thats the right type.

PS. They seem quite pricey, over 50 bucks for a 320GB, when I got my 500GB SATA2 for 49.99
2 answers Last reply
More about what hard drive km400a
  1. It's NOS, they're not making them anymore, and the price may go up as you wait!
  2. What you need is a disks with a P-Ata interface (falsely called IDE). Whether Udma/100 or Udma/133 isn't important.

Check the Web for any known incompatibilities (bugs) between disks and VIA KM400A.

P-Ata is more expensive that S-Ata because the interface costs more to produce: chips, connectors... And because competition has shrunk now. But they're affordable at eBay - as opposed to mainstream retailers who scrapped P-Ata from their offerings.

I bought many used disks and had no more trouble with them than with new disks.

The latest fast disks in P-Ata is the 7k160 (= J8160), but is limited to 160GB. Others have somewhat slower arms.

-----

Other solutions:

- Add a S-Ata host on a Pci slot. Bootable (check it before), no size limit, modern disks. BUT the Pci is limited to about 70MB/s at Via so you'll have to look for unofficial software fixes for the Pci.

- Throw away your Via, as its hardware is full of bugs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Hewlett Packard Storage Product