Which board will work with my cpu

G

Hi Im new to this board. I'm looking for a board compatible with my core 2 duo e6550

All I need is a board with ide connections, onboard video and compatible w/ ddr2 ram. This is can be a cheap ecs board for all i care. I just need something that will work. Not looking to overclock or do any intense gaming. Thanks

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
i was gonna help you until i saw the gunit in your username.....

j/k

just get a motheboard that is a 775socket thats all man. goto newegg.com

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It's pretty simple - just look for LGA 775 and pretty much all of them have 1-2 IDE connections. Why not SATA? Most things are SATA anymore.

G

One is fine.

G

I bought an MSI board once and turned out it didn;t work with my cpu. I forget to check the support list. I just assumed it would work because it said 1333 fsb but it didnt work with any. I just want to be sure now. I would appreciate some links.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Just what part of 630i chipset is fine? The part where it burns out ram or the part where it underclocks cpu? :sarcastic:

Trust me, the headaches are not worth it. You should go cheap to a point where features and performance is traded off, but compatibility and reliability is not compromised.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

You were lucky. But not everyone can get lucky. :p

A lot of people had those problems with 630i, and 600s Nvidia chipset in general. Trust me, the savings aren't worth the potential headaches.

G

What about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288
This would actually end up being the same price as the ecs one. Would it work with an E6550 right out of the box or would i have to mess around with the bios. It says1600/1333MHz. I'm guessing it would automatically downclock to 1333.
By the way thanks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
What about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288
This would actually end up being the same price as the ecs one. Would it work with an E6550 right out of the box or would i have to mess around with the bios. It says1600/1333MHz. I'm guessing it would automatically downclock to 1333.
By the way thanks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.

It should work fine. Far better than 630i. Performance aside, it's reliable and don't have the weird problems, which is a big difference. I'm not sure where the 1600mhz fsb comes from. G31 chipset's official fsb support is "1333/1066/800."
http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Chipsets/G31/G31-overview.htm
The bottom feeder chipset haven't even been known to be able to overclock to 1600mhz, so that was either a typo or scam.

Since it's only $5 less than the cheapest p43, at $65 after mir, the performance difference would be too much to trade off for such a small savings. Unless there are cheaper board using that same chipset, it's not worth it. The fact that it's an old chipset being phased out is also not promising.

Current Intel line of motherboard chipsets:

"G" - economy line. microatx. Low end, low performance, cheap. Current generation include g43/45. Previous generation include g31/33/35, out of production, to be replaced by g43/45.

"Q" - economy line. microatx. Low end, low performance, cheap. Previous generation include q33/35. No current generation, in favor of G.

"P" - mainstream line. atx. mid level, mid-high performance, prices vary, depending on model. Current generation include p43/45. Previous generation include p31/35, out of production, to be replaced by p43/45.

"X" - high end line. atx. high level, high performance, expensive. Current generation include x38/48, both introduced at around the same time. No previous generation.

G

Yeah i got scammed when i bought my msi board. It said works with 1333 fsb right on the box and turns out it didn't work with any 13333 processors. Thats why im looking for cheap ecs boards now.

TRENDING THREADS