New X25 SSD has major signs of wear on it.

lylerk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I recently ordered the x-25m g2r5 from neweggs shellshocker and received the drive today. The drive was sealed in the box, and sealed in the anti-static bag. Upon inspection of the bottom of the drive, there are smudges all over the metal along with scratches. The threads also clearly show signs of use. When reading reviews of a similair drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16820167013, user "jpiszcz" says "When I got the SSD, it showed 54 hours of usage and 66 power cycles," I was just wondering if any of you guys know how I could test this on my own. I just want to verify that the drive itself is new. Newegg offered that either I keep it and they credit me 20$ or they replace it. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Yes just download an application capable of reading the SMART info from your drive, it would display Power On Hours - the number of hours the drive has been supplied power to, and indeed the start/stop cycle count; how many times it was turned on.

HDTune (Pro) would be able to do it, and many other free programs.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Yes just download an application capable of reading the SMART info from your drive, it would display Power On Hours - the number of hours the drive has been supplied power to, and indeed the start/stop cycle count; how many times it was turned on.

HDTune (Pro) would be able to do it, and many other free programs.

Solution