Looking for a new 22-24" Gaming LCD

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I'm looking at getting a 22-24 inch LCD with my new computer. I'm willing to pay up to 600 max and it's main use will be FPS gaming with a little bit of MMO's thrown in. Another use will be 3D modeling. I want it to have extremely good picture quality but also would like it to have a very low response time. I also would like Minimal ghosting and HDMI so i can connect it to my 360. I've tried to look through digital versus but i'm still have trouble finding the right LCD. Please give me some feedback on some good LCD choices.

This one looks interesting. It's a samsung
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

I use this one and do all of the above you mentioned. This is a gateway
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113012

It's a decent unit and a varity of inputs. 1 HDMI and 2 components. I have my ps3 on hdmi and x360 on components. Only down side is your have to get creative with adapters inorder to run sound out to your speaker system.

The above samsung SEEMS to have a audio output though.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

see the problem is that good picture quality is usually paired w/ screens that have 178/178 viewing angles and also response times of higher than 6 ms, those are the much better screens...

bottom line non-tn monitors are simply beautiful compared to tn monitors, Click here for a non-tn monitor!!!

60 out the door but real nice MIR...

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
don't non-tn screens have way higher response times and a lot more lag compared to CRT/LCD TN monitors, meaning that images will 1-2 frames slower? Isn't that bad in FPS games since they are fast paced?

Well his pc will most likely take up the dvi connector on the monitor. so unless he's going to switch back and forth he will still need a monitor with a hdmi or component input.

Or he could get the vga cord for the xbox360 and use the panels vga connector.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

uhhhh, if you actually took a look at that monitor than you would clearly see it has 2 DVI connectors, Jesus Christ do i have to explain everything, doesn't anybody do any research b4 recommending something???

trust me I've went from non-tn monitors to tn, the lag that is supposedly there when u play fps is all BS, its works fine, and there is zero ghosting i am currently using a monitor w/ 8ms response time but you can't even see any ghosting, period!!!!!

Not to mention the color correction, makes it so much better than that tn garbage I used to use, take a look, it's in a book [possibly not, but in a link] It's a reading rainbow!!

It's a much far superior panel to anything you might have seen b4, but you'd never notice if you never actually used a non-tn monitor for extended periods of time!

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

I don't think redrage is from the UK though, b/c that would cost him over $1,115 US dollars....

U.S. is in a recession first off so spending well over the OP's budget I'm pretty sure is out of the question, second of all the U.S. to U.K. exchange rate is simply to high eo even consider buying anything b/c of VAT, taxes, S&H, and so on....

anyways here is a picture of that twin DVI's

24-176-059-10.jpg

Redrage where do you live man, b/c if it's not in North America you may want to disclose this information so we can help you find something affordable in your country.

jcorqian

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I personally use the SF2208WFP 22' inch monitor, costs only $300. Has a 2 ms response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio, and 4 USB slots. Connections include VGA, DVI, and HDMI (can all be hooked up at same time, I have my 360 hooked to it, changes input with a button). Has gotten great reviews, and (to me at least) the picture is flawless.

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I live in the US, Washington State, close to seattle. What type of display is the syncmaster t260, the review made it look somewhat promising, i liked the colors it showed in the video. But like i said, i want the best possible FPS gaming monitor with very good quality picture

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

If you want the best a tn monitor is out of the question, simply b/c they are low grade monitors, that have little to no color correction, man there are other ppl who know more about this, but you know man it's w/e you can take the advise of anybody here, i gave you the best advice I could and you gotta do some research for yourself, why tn-monitors suck when u compare them to better counter-parts...

pauldh

Illustrious

For the most part, yes.

I've been shopping for one myself and there seems to be no perfect 24" LCD. One with excellent color accuracy like the Dell ultrasharp 2408wfp (s-pva) suffers from 2-3 frame Input lag. One with no input lag like the gateway fhd2400 (TN) has poor color accuracy.

I suggest reading this review if you have not. These two monitors above are my first choices, but also looking at the cheap BenQ G2400WD, as it loses some inputs but still has 1:1 pixel mapping.
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=1

edit:
Gateway link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113012
BenQ link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I believe i found the monitor i want. It's not coming out until August 1st but i believe it is a good monitor. The monitor is the DoubleSight DS-265W, it's basically the replacement for the DS-263 and i've heard good reviews about that monitor. It's a IPS panel, with pretty low input lag, i believe i saw a post saying around 2/10's of a frame or 3.3ms, it has a 25.5 inch screen and the new model comes with a adjustable stand and glossy screen compared to the DS-263 which has neither. I'm excited :)

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
hmmm it says that there was some sort of lottery and they did not get the A-TW polarizer, I"m not a 100% what that is but it sounds yummy, :lol:

on a serious note though, I would love to get like a A-TW-IPS monitor, those things have to bee amazing, but it's hard to tell which monitors have that A-TW polarizer which I guess would make the IPS monitors a A-TW-IPS monitor, right?

thematrixofallmatricescy3.png

A-TW-IPS (Advanced True-White IPS), SA-SFT (Super-Advanced Super-Fine TFT): Professional IPS types with slightly-modified color filters to improve natural color reproduction. Extremely expensive.
-lcdresource

Going by this the panel I'm talking about gets good input lag, not excellent is that what you were talking about pauldh?

It is kind of tough to find something like this b/c manufacturers keep doing the damn bait and switch, and I don't have a colorimeter unfortunately... :pfff:

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Yeah i believe the DS-263 models are on a lottery for the polarizer while the DS-265W models have it come stock. I've got all my information from this thread on the hard forums though http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1319356&page=2. there are a few responses where the people mail Doublesight and get responses saying the A-TW polarizer is suppost to come stock with the DS-265W. I know the monitor is a IPS panel so if it does come with the A-TW polarizer wouldn't it be a A-TW-IPS monitor? It also is said to have a glossy screen and HDMI. I've never had a glossy screen but i'm excited to own one from seeing ones that friends own. I can't wait until the DS-265W is released :pt1cable:

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

back in the day I remember seeing a glossy acer 20" one of my co-workers had bought man it was amazing, but only problem was it had to be in the basement b/c upstairs everything reflected off it...

of course you know this is before I knew of the whole tn, and lcd panel quality and what not..

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

That's a good deal, even if you buy it form the U.S., can you find me a A-TW-IPS monitor, I was wondering if I could find them for like $850-ish?

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
All I have to add to this is a comment about latency. First, the "latency" issue with larger monitors of the non-tn type is two fold - first there is the response time, which has to do with ghosting, and second there is the FPS lag, which has to do with a delay between when a picture is sent to the monitor and when it is actually displayed. I am clarifying this because one above poster confused the two. As for the delay in displaying the picture (the 1-2 fps difference people are talking about), I would caution anyone against relying on other people's opinions on the matter. Just because one person swears that they've compared the monitors and there is no way to notice the 2 frame delay doesn't mean you won't notice it; people have different eyes and different expectations, so you may be sorely mislead if you trust one posters opinion that the frame delay in larger non-tn monitors is impossible to see. And to the others insisting that they are right and that it's a myth, get a grip and a better perspective; clearly some people CAN see the difference, just like some people CAN see ghosting on ~10ms response time monitors and some people CAN see tearing in non-vertical-sync modes. Myself, I don't see ghosting unless the response time is above 16 or so (though ratings differ in how they are assessed) and I can't see tearing in a moving image, but I CAN see a delay of a few frames in certain LCDs, and it's annoying. That doesn't mean everyone else will have the same experience, of course!