[CPU] Difference Qx9650 & Q9450

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Well i would like to know what are the differneces between those procesors.

since i brought a qx9650 for $1050 one month ago and now there its this new procesor wich has exactly the same spesifications just 400 Mhz less and only worths $329.99

so what am i a dumb for wasting so much on this? or there are diferences.

Rubenov

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You are dumb if you are not overclocking. QX9650 is a chip for overclockers, due to its unlocked multiplier. Other than that, the q9450's structure is the same as the qx9650, although it runs slower natively (you can overclock the q9450 to surpass the stock speeds of a qx9650.)

The qx9650's equal would be the q9650 releasing circa August 10. It has the same speed, same everything but with a locked multiplier for half the qx9650's price.

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

yes i understand that but i mean what diferece does the procesor has its built to supoort higer temperatures or its just unlocked.

cause it doesnt seen logic for example

if i manufacture cars i sell 2 models sport and normal so the sport would have exactly the same engine/gears same everything only that the sport has gears unlocked, imagine the normal has a lock on the gear stick.

so would that be logic sell the sport at the 2x the price? being exacly the same thing?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The QX9650 is what you can call a "cherry picked" or higher binned CPU, than the Q9450.

Even though they might have the same "features", the QX9650 will be able to run at high freq, with less issues than the Q9450, just to give 1 example.

Does that mean that it's worth the cost? Depends on who buys it. If they think it's worth it, then it's worth it to them. Some will think it's not worth it, and that's their opinion. If you say you bought one and so far you haven't seen a reason for the purchase, I have to ask...why did you buy it then? What was your logic for the purchase?

Seems like you are upset over something that most people already knew - QX (or Extreme Edition) is just not worth the $$$.
Did you research the QX lineup, and look at price/performance ratio?
Or did you just drop over $1k for a CPU, without really knowing why the price was so high, compared to non QX CPUs?

So, why exactly did you buy one? If you think you wasted money, well, then...you did. If you think you are stupid for paying so much, well, then...you could be.

The easiest question to ask is "why did I buy this CPU?" That should answer your original question(s).

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
cause the high end should be better than the rest seens logic right?

i expected it to have more durability or speed than a normal procesor since the price difference its a lot.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
And what makes you think it doesn't? Also, the QX9650 is 3GHz. The Q9450 is 2.66GHz.

The unlock multiplier, which is the biggest selling point of the QX lineup, makes it easier for people to "overclock" the CPU without raising voltages, which could cause issues or even damage the CPU, compared to those non-QX CPUs, that have to use voltage adjustments, to achieve the same overclock as the QX CPU.

Durability is dependent on what is done to the CPU, so to claim that it will be more durable than another CPU, is all speculation. Who is to know where "little Billy" will simply crank on the vcore until it's 2v, and power on the system. How durable will the CPU be then?

Sounds like you have buyer's remorse. That happens. The problem is, no one forced you to pay for the QX9650, and no one stopped you from researching whether the price is worth the performance. It's the same thing with any high priced CPU.

As soon as we know more, so will you. In the meantime, we have seen nothing that would discourage us from recommending the Core 2 Extreme QX9650 to anyone that wants to experience the most that overclocking has to offer.

Intel's QX9650 is just the beginning - breakthroughs happen every day and design improvements will occur. After experiencing just how good 45nm is already, we cannot help but to be excited about what lies in store for us next. Cheaper 45nm processors like the Q9450 are at the top of our list, naturally, but we also eagerly await AMD's response to Intel's latest challenge.
Anandtech
The processor we looked at was solid as it performed better, consumed less energy and was able to overclock by 33% to over 4GHz! It doesn't get much better than that! The new Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 is the fastest processor on the market today hands down.
Legit Reviews
Is that a heck of a lot of money to pay for a desktop processor? Yes, it is. But if money is no object and you want the fastest, most capable desktop processor on the planet currently, the Core 2 Extreme QX9650 is it.
HotHardware

Now, if you bought the QX9650 at the same time the Q9450 was out, that's all on you, unfortunately. I don't know what exactly you expect from the QX lineup. But whatever it is, I'm sure the price will never be justified in your eyes, and that is something you should have considered before buying the QX9650.

Witt78

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

I just put together a Q9450 PC with an Asus P5E Deluxe Motherboard. I can change my multiplier between 6 and 8.

Just an FYI.

- Witt

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

thx for the info im really new, i didnt know that the multiplier allows me to overclock without changing the Vcore

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
No problem.

It's just rare to see anyone get a QX CPU and not know about it's features and such.

To answer your original question about whether or not you are dumb for getting a QX9650...I don't think so. Not if you push it to it's limits, and you enjoy what it can do for you.

cusideabelincoln

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The reason it costs so much is because it is intended for a different market. Intel can charge that much for their "Extreme Edition" processors and people will buy them. Intel has probably done research and found that the same amount of people would be this processor at $1000 and $600. If the same amount of people will buy it and they can charge $400 more, then they make more money. Other factors as to why it is more expensive have already been listed in this post.

If you're not overclocking it, and you don't intend to, you could probably sell it, buy a Q9450 or Q9550, and still get a little bit of your money back. But if you take the time to overclock it, you will have a really fast chip that should last you a long time.

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
thx for the answer ppl i want to keep my procesor and i would like to Over clock it latter to 4ghz ill probaly get a liquid cool solution.

Yep. That's locked. The QX9650 lets you adjust it between 6 and however high you want to go.