Issues with Crysis on a 4850

ACoolname

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I got a Visiontek ATI HD 4850 a couple of days ago. Installed the drivers that came with it, set the fan speed to 45, and overclocked it at 675/1100 and everything thing works as I expected (Assassin's Creed, COD4) EXCEPT FOR CRYSIS.

It's not exactly a fps drop, just the game stutters a TON. Like every few seconds and it acts really unstable for me. Could this be a driver issue? Does anyone else experience this?

System:
e6750 @ 3.0GHz
2 GIG DDR2 667MHz
ATI HD 4850

Thanks.

raider37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Yeah get the latest drivers for your graphics card. I think the full version of the catalyst 8.7 drivers are out.

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Hi guys.

If you haven't allready, try to do a clean driver installation. I had the same issue once when I just installed a new driver without uninstalling the old one first.

Uninstall the old driver.

Maybe you did this allready, but if not it's worth trying. Solved some lag issues for me once.

raider37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
What power supply are u using? Make sure its good enough to be used with this card. I'm pretty sure it uses more power than the 8800gt

Check your temps.
Just finished my new build with 4850Cf.
Fresh build and Windows install.
Plenty of power with my Enermax Galaxy.
First game I loaded was Crysis.
Even with both fans turned to 45% (the fastest I can stand), temps are going over 100C on each card. The fans keep trying to spin up to 100% for 0.5 second. As it is trying to get ah handle on the temps, the GPU will start throttling and it stutters badly. After ~10min it will crash every time. I am going to try applying AS5 after work tomorrow to see if this helps any.
If not, I will see if it is specific to Crysis or not.
If it is just an issue with Crysis, it should be fixed with the 8.7 driver release.

I heard how hot they are but I gotta say, I am a little disappointed.
Stock speeds and overheating this badly even after the fan speed fix :/