Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E8400

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 27, 2009 2:13:15 PM

Hi everyone! I just purchased a new gaming system that I am about assemble and I have a few questions about overclocking.

Intel E8400 3.0Ghz 6Mb
ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
2X 2Gb Kingston DDR3 (Forget the exact type, but its 1066MHz. Ask for timings, I'll post when I'm home.)
ASUS Radeon HD 4870 DK 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Antec 900 Case
OCZ 500W PSU

- My plan is to be playing Crysis at fairly high video settings.
- From what I've read I can clock the E8400 to 3.6 easily with the stock voltage and fan.

1. Do you think I can go a bit higher considering the high quality and airflow of my case? Maybe if I added that expansion 120mm internal Mobo fan.....?
2. How much should I worry about CPU longevity if I buy a nice CPU fan and clock to 4.0Ghz?
3. Do you think it is even worth overclocking for my application?

Thanks in advance for your opinions! :) 

More about : e8400

a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 4:02:23 PM

If you bought an E8400 E0 revision, you shouldn't have too much problems getting to 4ghz. 3.6ghz should be doable with stock-minimal voltages or Auto voltages.

I've had my E0 since late fall of last year, and has been running at 4ghz now for over 6months with no problems. As long as you keep voltages low and CPU cool, it should run fine for the life of the computer.

You'll definitely get performance increases with overclocking. Reviews have shown that the sweet spot for most video cards are around 3.6ghz - 3.8ghz. You'll get fps increases with more CPU speed, but the gains are minial and then has to weigh in voltage and heat to performance gains.
May 27, 2009 4:42:02 PM

I'll have to check which version I got. What is the other version called btw? And if I have the different one, what kind of OC could I pull off?

If I have the E0:
I will probably clock to just under 4.0 to get some extra speed while not running too hot. Do you think I will still need to buy a different heatsink/cpu fan assembly for this setup? What is the threshold in terms of core temp?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 4:53:21 PM

Yes. Get an Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 which it what I use on my e8400 which I leave on 24/7 at 3.4 Ghz.
May 27, 2009 5:01:58 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Yes. Get an Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 which it what I use on my e8400 which I leave on 24/7 at 3.4 Ghz.


+1 for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Ive got an E7400 @4GHz that idles at 31*C and never breaks 55*C with 1.36v under non-synthetic load, hits 72*C max in Prime 95. I used to run 24/7, but didnt like having to dust it out monthly. (I've got 2x 120mm fans pulling 70cfm each, and 3x 80mm fans pulling 35cfm each)
May 27, 2009 5:30:27 PM

I hear the Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 is good. However, if you have the room and I'm almost positive the 900 does, go with the Xigmatek Dark Knight version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

For $40 shipped with a bracket included the install is simple and keeps my temps SUPER low.

Idle temps are 37C max load thru Prime95 is 50C @ 3.6 Ghz w/ stock voltages.

I'm sure I could get 4.0 Ghz if I tried, I just simply left it @ 3.6. Highly recommend the Xigmatek.

Just my .02$
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 6:20:55 PM

Juan Benito said:
I'll have to check which version I got. What is the other version called btw? And if I have the different one, what kind of OC could I pull off?

If I have the E0:
I will probably clock to just under 4.0 to get some extra speed while not running too hot. Do you think I will still need to buy a different heatsink/cpu fan assembly for this setup? What is the threshold in terms of core temp?


More than likely it is an E0 if you bought it new in box recently. Older version is C0.
May 30, 2009 12:28:36 PM

I have a Xigmatek S1283 and that keeps my Q6600 w/G0 at 3.6 GHz, bearing In mide my mobo is being really unstable and unco-operative at the moment :D 
My temps are 32c idle with room temp at 22c and under load a mere 40c! :bounce: 
May 31, 2009 9:13:18 AM

I have a E8400 CPU with a Gigabyte MB. I am currently using the 690 CM case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - and I was wondering which CPU cooler I should pick up so I can easily (and safely) overclock the CPU to about 3.4-3.6 and make sure that it lasts for 4-5+ years while remaining quiet. I'm also thinking of picking up the new side panel for the case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - which would add an additional fan to my current circulation as well as providing an internal view on the fans inside.

I previously removed the side fan on the old chasis and mounted them on the top, so replacing the side panel with a new one should help with the airflow even more. If anyone has any other recommendations on modding the 690 CM, let me know. But for now, Im more interested in improving the CPU cooler over the stock Intel one. However, I'm also open to suggestions for different cases if there are major problems I'm not noticing with the current 690.

I've looked at the two suggested so far. Of those two, which is strictly better, and are there any others which are better (regardless of cost)? I'll decide on cost after comparing all the prices ;p
May 31, 2009 10:11:09 AM

Leinahtan said:
I have a E8400 CPU with a Gigabyte MB. I am currently using the 690 CM case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - and I was wondering which CPU cooler I should pick up so I can easily (and safely) overclock the CPU to about 3.4-3.6 and make sure that it lasts for 4-5+ years while remaining quiet. I'm also thinking of picking up the new side panel for the case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - which would add an additional fan to my current circulation as well as providing an internal view on the fans inside.

I previously removed the side fan on the old chasis and mounted them on the top, so replacing the side panel with a new one should help with the airflow even more. If anyone has any other recommendations on modding the 690 CM, let me know. But for now, Im more interested in improving the CPU cooler over the stock Intel one. However, I'm also open to suggestions for different cases if there are major problems I'm not noticing with the current 690.

I've looked at the two suggested so far. Of those two, which is strictly better, and are there any others which are better (regardless of cost)? I'll decide on cost after comparing all the prices ;p


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This cooler will outperform both products previously listed, comparing it to the dark knight it performs about 14 degrees better.
Also the arctic cooler freezer 7 pro is somewhat of a budget cooler. It represents pretty decent value, but won't be able to take you to more extreme overclocks.
May 31, 2009 4:21:07 PM

My Zalman 9500nt recycled form when i had a AMD FX-62 keeps my E0 revision E8400 At 1.3v no higher then 43c no lower then 37c but long range is good. 6c diff form idle vs load is great temps imo
June 1, 2009 4:13:45 AM

I have my EO E8400 running @ 3.8 at a constant 40c when folding using a Sunbeam cooler. Oddly it idles at 40C as well, but I know I can probably lower my voltages a bit more to get it idling a bit cooler, but 40c is entirely acceptable if I don't feel like altering any more voltages.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only way I can raise it beyond 40c is during the Intel burn test which only raises it to 50c max. Couldn't be happier.

To get my stable overclock, I just copied these settings in the page below since I had the exact same CPU, MB, and memory. Worked the first try and the only thing I have done is lower my voltages by one step, will probably lower each voltage one more step before I leave it alone.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/stable-e8400-oc-3-83-a-...

!