Sign in with
Your question

Building my Home network

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2009 4:08:43 PM

I just built a new house and I am ready to assemble my home network. My house has 24 ports hard wired but we will only use 10 or 12 at the most. I have a Linksys 5 port router and a broad band modem and I am looking at a Linksys SR2016 16 port giga switch. Can anyone tell me is this a good fit for me or overkill is there a better option????? I have 2 teen age sons and my wife to share the network with and a few entertainment hookups. We play network games too. Or at least we look forward to playing each other soon.

Also can anyone recommend any good books on the subject? I am an electrician and I install networks for a living but they are always planned out by an engineer so all I do is install and partial troubleshooting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

More about : building home network

January 26, 2009 2:03:31 PM

Gigabit will work best for computer to computer transfers. Internet speeds will be dependant on the speed of your connection. You should be find with any of the gigabit home switches out there.
January 26, 2009 4:11:13 PM

sturm said:
Gigabit will work best for computer to computer transfers. Internet speeds will be dependant on the speed of your connection. You should be find with any of the gigabit home switches out there.

Thanks so much! The only technical question I have now is there are 2 switches with 16 ports?? A SR2016 and a SRW2016?? One is managed and has 8K Mac addressing and the other is unmanaged and has 32K Mac addressing.?? Can you give a little advice on which fits better for my house??

Thanks again!!
January 26, 2009 5:38:59 PM

So far the reviews I have seen for the sr2016 said their unit failed on them usually within a year. The SRW2016 seems to be better in the working catagory but lacks in the management area. The HP units seem to be a little better so far that I have read. We use full Cisco switches at my school and rarely ever have problems with them. Only thing is they are pricey brand new.
For a home network you really don't need a managed switch unless you really want to block traffic, create vlans, etc...
!