Sign in with
Your question

overclocked video card amperage

Last response: in Components
August 6, 2008 2:52:02 AM

I need to know if an overclocked edition of a video card is going to require more wattage, particularly +12V. I bought the geforce 9500 gt overclocked edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the regular card says +18V and 350W is sufficient, but I got the 700mhz overclocked edition (from 550mhz). Please tell me if the same requirements apply or not thx.
August 6, 2008 3:33:37 AM

What psu do you have? It shouldn't require more wattage.
August 6, 2008 4:17:16 AM

it's raidmax model rx-420k
Related resources
August 6, 2008 5:04:06 AM

List your complete specs, so we can determine what minimum size PSU you need. Also, indicate if you will be upgrading anytime soon, so that can be taken into consideration.

If your machine is running on that Raidmax it should run on the EA-380 with that card no problem, but I'd still like to see your specs to confirm.

It has a combined 12V @ 27A, and it's on sale real cheap.

Original Price: $59.99
You Save: $30.00
$29.99

August 6, 2008 5:18:16 AM

+1 for getting a better psu.
August 6, 2008 6:23:37 AM

yes, overclocked anything requires more current, how much more depends on a number of variables.
August 6, 2008 7:09:10 AM

Specs are as follows:

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 65W
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
ASRock P45TURBOTWINS2000 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Mobo
GIGABYTE GV-N95TD3-512H GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X...Burner with LightScribe
OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

I looked into the antec and it's only 380w? good +12v but if I were to upgrade I'd look at something more like 500w
btw the +12V for my psu is 20A not 13A like newegg shows...
August 6, 2008 8:19:00 AM

Based on the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 The recommended minimum PSU size is 250W. However, this does not take current (amperage) draw into consideration. This was calculated with the 9600 GT because they don't have a choice for the 9500GT and, as royalcrown pointed out, the OC version will draw more current anyway, but probably not more than the 9600 GT by much if any.

I don't think that you will have any trouble with current rating of 27A. I believe that the EA-380 follows the others in the EA series and is a single rail or I wouldn't even suggest it, but I always like my PSUs have good headroom, so larger is always better to a point, IMO. Your stock CPU draws about 65W or 5.5A max and the 9500GT OC draws about 5A max. That leaves you about 16.5A for the mobo, drives, audio and fans. It will work but you might want to get a larger, and better, PSU especially of you want to OC, not that the EA series are bad. I believe they changed the EA series OEM from Seasonic to Delta, at least the EA-500, and I haven't seen any reviews on the new ones.

If you want to go larger, which I can certainly understand and even recommend, the CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX and the CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX are both excellent single rail PSUs that will give you some headroom.

Here are a couple of reviews.
JonnyGURU.com - Corsair VX450W power supply review
JonnyGURU.com - Corsair VX550W Power Supply Review
August 6, 2008 8:38:29 AM

if I wanted to double up on the 9500 gt with sli would I be able to do it with the corsair 450vx?
August 6, 2008 8:46:43 AM

nm it says sli not supported :/ 
what's the cheapest reliable PSU that would support two 9500 gt?
August 6, 2008 9:43:03 AM

If you read the end of the VX450 Review.
Quote:
The Bad
Only one PCI-e connector. I'm confident this power supply could power even a pair of 7950 or X1950 cards.
You can always get a Molex to PCIe adapter, assuming the card doesn't come with one.

If you want a little more grunt then get the 550VX.

I didn't say you couldn't price shop. Corsair VX 550W ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-550VX - Buy.com

List Price: $110.50
Our Price: $84.99
After Rebate: $69.99
Shipping: FREE

Buy.com Total Price: $69.99
August 6, 2008 9:49:18 AM

You might want to save your cash up and get a better card rather than SLI that one anyway. The 550VX will give you a little room to OC and get a more power hungry card when you can afford it. $69.99 with free shipping is a pretty good price.
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2008 11:58:06 AM
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2008 12:28:03 PM

miketool21 said:
I need to know if an overclocked edition of a video card is going to require more wattage, particularly +12V. I bought the geforce 9500 gt overclocked edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the regular card says +18V and 350W is sufficient, but I got the 700mhz overclocked edition (from 550mhz). Please tell me if the same requirements apply or not thx.

Anytime you OC from stock the load requirements increase and your OCd version is a substantial OC from stock for sure, if the stock was pulling 18a on the + 12v then you're at least to 20a, you've mentioned going the SLI route, however its also been suggested to you to get a more powerful graphics solution as the 9500GT is the economy line.

So P/S wise if you're planning on going SLI get a descent solid P/S so you don't have to buy again with the next upgrade, in the past we've always put the P/S as a last consideration, and sometimes didn't consider that until you got all your build parts and found out you couldn't power it up with the P/S you had, or got with some cheap case, but today the P/S needs to be in the initial planning of the build, especially if gaming has anything to do with your plans.

With some games SLI can be a pitfall not a performance factor, when a game is optimized for SLI then it truly shines, but those games are few and far between, I have 2 OCd [Bios Flashed] 8800GT in SLI and I see and test the performance differences regularly, sometimes amazing, sometimes disappointing.

So heres my suggestion if you are definitely going SLI P/S wise go with a single 12v rail say in the 60a range.

Video wise don't do a thing until ATI/AMD release the 4870X2 because it will cause Nvidia to have to drop their prices and you may be able to get a high end card at a really reasonable price.

Sometimes its a have to settle for less situation I do understand that, but what I'm trying to get across is its better sometimes to go ahead and bite the bullet and get yourself more power than you need, so when you do upgrade the system you don't have to worry about whether your P/S can handle the load. With a more powerful P/S solution your P/S is like on cruise control for low end use, but when you need the power for something like an SLI configuration its there.

As far as a P/S barely capable to handle the load and straining from the time a game starts and eventually failing with an SLI configuration, I've been there, and trust me you do not want to go there, so thats why I reccommend, what I reccommend today.

August 6, 2008 12:46:45 PM

Somehow I get the feeling that he doesn't have the cash to SLI cards that would require a 60A PSU.

Maybe he should use the 9500GT OC until the prices come down and then get a 4870 and stick with the 550VX.

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2008 12:54:01 PM

miketool21 said:
if I wanted to double up on the 9500 gt with sli would I be able to do it with the corsair 450vx?

Please do not SLI a 9500GT and expect to have a high performance machine.
After you get an upgraded PSU, get a 8800GT or 4850.
Either will give you much more performance than SLIed 9500GT's.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2008 12:54:35 PM

@ Zorg

You've given him some great advice!

My advice is learned the hard way and may be past his budget, but he can always save to future proof himself to a certain extent, of course with technology changing as fast as it is today, we can only future proof for a short term anyway!

Have a Great Day Zorg!
August 6, 2008 1:07:37 PM

miketool21 said:

Not to nitpick, but current, power and voltage are three different things.

The title of this thread says amperage, which refers to current.
In your first sentenced you asked if your card would require more wattage meaning power, but then referenced a voltage.

Current refers to the flow of electric charge. For reference, it is the electrical equivalent of velocity in a mechanical system. Voltage is the difference in electric potential. For reference, it is the electrical equivalent of pressure in a mechanical system.

Wattage or Watts, refers to an amount of power. Work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

I agree pretty much with what everyone said. Get a new PSU.
August 6, 2008 1:29:00 PM

4Ryan6 said:
@ Zorg

You've given him some great advice!
Thanks, I was trying to keep the prices down due to his choice of the 9500GT.
August 7, 2008 3:25:20 AM

Ok thanks go to everyone who replied to this thread, you all helped a lot. It just goes to show how little I actually know compared to what I thought I knew. My lone excuse is that I have been out of the loop since about 2002 and have forgotten a lot of what I knew about computers. However, having bought one pre-built (customized) computer in the past and then building my own fully customized computer back in 2002, I never checked into P/S requirements. So this is all new to me. I was one of those who completely overlooked it. And now that I think back I remember certain games freezing up and rebooting for no reason, and I am glad I came here this time around. Live and learn. This has inspired me to post another thread which will allow you guys to completely dissect the admittedly horrid (unfortunately I realize this after I spent all my dough) customized pc that I have put together for myself. Please check the Homebuilt Systems/New System Build section of the forum if you would like to help me out. Thanks again.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2008 4:12:29 AM

miketool21 said:
Ok thanks go to everyone who replied to this thread, you all helped a lot. It just goes to show how little I actually know compared to what I thought I knew. My lone excuse is that I have been out of the loop since about 2002 and have forgotten a lot of what I knew about computers. However, having bought one pre-built (customized) computer in the past and then building my own fully customized computer back in 2002, I never checked into P/S requirements. So this is all new to me. I was one of those who completely overlooked it. And now that I think back I remember certain games freezing up and rebooting for no reason, and I am glad I came here this time around. Live and learn. This has inspired me to post another thread which will allow you guys to completely dissect the admittedly horrid (unfortunately I realize this after I spent all my dough) customized pc that I have put together for myself. Please check the Homebuilt Systems/New System Build section of the forum if you would like to help me out. Thanks again.

You're not alone, my lessons were hard learned, I had 2 7800GTX in SLI both cards OCd BIOS flashed, at the time CPU OCd running a water cooling rig setup, thought my P/S was more than adequate until playing Farcry at high settings dropped my machine in the dirt, ended up with 3 failed water pumps and even at that didn't figure out my true problem until my video cards crashed from basically being under powered.

As far as my CPU from the water cooling failures, thankfully it shut itself down before it was damaged which at the time was an AMD FX57, [That would have been a hard loss to take], after finally tracking the problem back to the P/S, I did the research that at the time was surfacing as others were having similar problems, of the graphics cards amperage requirements not being met by most of the claimed to be SLI ready P/Ss.

At the time most of the claimed SLI ready P/Ss were SLI ready, but seriously inadequate for the higher amperage pulling cards, which OCd pulled even more power, those of us experiencing these types of failures were pretty much ready to spend what we needed to avoid this kind of thing in the future, and more and more higher powered really SLI ready P/Ss started to appear on the scene.

I thought my graphics cards were damaged but when they got the power they needed, they ran like brand new cards, the difference was amazing, game freezing and crashing disappeared it was actually fun again, so don't be hard on yourself, we're all learning as we go.

Look at it this way, you haven't lost any components, so you're way ahead of the game! Ryan
!