How Do I Find Out What is Crashing My PC?

JD45093

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I have an Rig with these specs:

CPU: Core i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz Base Clock 160 VCore Standard
CPU Heat sink: Standard
GPU: XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
Memory: 3Gb Crucial 1066 @ 1260 because of Base clock Can I fix?
MOBO: EVGA X58
PSU: Rosewill 950Watt
Case Antec 900

How can I figure out what is crashing my PC thanks.

Hypered

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Are voltage settings at auto?

also knowing what your temps are (idle and load) as well as when it's BSOD'ing (on boot up, setting idle, running something....) would help.

JD45093

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Not trying to be blunt but I did put in the original post that the CPU was a stock voltage. The CPU on idle runs at 43C Cores and 27C through the motherboard and at load 76C and 64C respectively . The GPU runs at 40C idle and 83C FurMark.

ghb70005

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I’m no expert like these guys but check the event viewer. Look in the system errors, the last error prior to crash might be the associated component. Then troubleshoot from there.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Blunt? Maybe you should learn to read. Nobody asked if it was at stock voltage.

The question was, DOES IT CRASH AT STOCK SPEEDS???
Dude, what is it with you? Have you actually replied to anybody without being sarcastic or patronising?
Maybe you should realize that youre not the only one that asked him a question, and that to many auto=stock

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

i think it's important to give yourself the same tools as you would have as if you were a professional computer tech, trying to solve this kind of problem. makes it less stressful.

besides some of things people will mention (e.g., Memtest, a way to test your RAM), it's good to have a spare power supply, power supply, and video card, to help narrow it down (process of elimination) if diagnostic software doesn't tell you which is going on.

it sounds like you turn it on, it's running, then it suddenly crashes.

Sigh. Sometimes I feel really old. JD, we do need more info.

Does it crash at stock speeds? When does it crash? Does it crash at random? Does it crash only in games? That could point to either PSU or GPU.

Does it crash during stress testing? That would seem to eliminate the GPU.

Does it crash during memtest? That would point to the memory.

Two observations: 76 C. seems awefully high. And your Rosewill 950, while of adequate capacity (a good 650 w PSU would be more than adequate), is an excessively mediocre brand.

1) 3.33, bclk=160 is overclocked. Reset everything to auto. Does it crash then?

2) Run memtest86+ to verify that the ram rund with NO errors.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Saying he didnt mean to be blunt, but he already answered our question, when in reallity he didnt answer the question at all because he didnt read the question correctly, kinda like you.
You should heed your own advice.

I do read everything. If you do as well than be so kind and point where does Hypered ask him about crashing at stock speeds. He doesnt, he asks about voltage which OP stated in first post.

But if you like being a tw*t than keep it up, right up.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Me feelin stupid? Far from it. You obviously have problem with understanding of what im saying so im gonna do a simple graph of the situation:

Q1(flyin) - does it crash at stock settings?
Q2(you) - does it crash at stock speeds?
Q3(hyper) - is the voltage on auto?

OPs Answer - blunt bla bla, voltage is at stock
Your Answer - you should learn to read, NOBODY asked if voltage is at stock.

While you might be partially right(hyper asked if it was on auto, not if at stock) didnt it occur to you that since neither you or flyin have asked specifically about voltage than maybe hes not replying to you??

Anyway, that whole thing is pointless so Im done here. You enjoy your sarcasm