Sign in with
Your question

touched LGA 775 socket on accident

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2008 8:31:30 PM

as i was fiddling with the cpu retention door, i accidentally touched the upper left area of the socket. the motherboard is an intel DP35DP...

i haven't fired it up yet, but the CPU/heatsink (cpu is a quad 6600 2.4ghz) are both installed and the rest of the build is about 75% there. should i be really concerned about this and try to take everything apart and fix the problem or should i just fire it up? has anyone else accidentally tapped/touched the socket? if so, what happened?

if it makes any difference, i had washed my hands fairly recently before this point and i don't think they were very oily...
June 18, 2008 8:45:52 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
If you bent the pins your screwed.

Very true
Related resources
June 18, 2008 8:48:24 PM

as long as you didnt bend any of the pins, there shouldn't be a problem. i've handled all kinds of hardware by the contacts and pins (and i should really stop doing this :p ) but i've never had a piece of hardware not work.
June 18, 2008 8:49:24 PM

it was a light touch, the pins were straight and looked good. i'm just wondering if traces of skins cells/oil or whatever that may be left on there as a result of briefly/lightly touching it would do any harm
June 18, 2008 8:55:20 PM

ah ok, thanks for the info nik. this is what i would have guessed but i just wanted to see what others experiences were. like i said the pins are fine and look good and clean with the naked eye
June 18, 2008 8:57:32 PM

yes please said:
ah ok, thanks for the info nik. this is what i would have guessed but i just wanted to see what others experiences were. like i said the pins are fine and look good and clean with the naked eye

if nothing looks physically damaged, it most likely isn't. but if you turn on the system and something doesn't work, you know where to start looking :p 
June 18, 2008 9:17:59 PM

It wont be an issue, like they said if nothing is bent you will be fine.
June 18, 2008 9:31:56 PM

I've straightened bent pins by hand, wasn't an issue. i wouldn't worry about touching them.
June 18, 2008 9:55:56 PM

Oh no! You touched the CPU socket, with your finger. You are in BIG trouble.
The CPU socket is treated with some of the most toxic substances known to man. If you are lucky your finger wont rott off. Follow these steps:
The first thing you should do is soak you finger in Baking Soda. Then soak it vinegar. Next you have to smother that finger with medical quality KY Jelly and put the finger somewhere dark for at lest 8 hours. After 8 hours is up pop that finger out and inspect it closely for brown spots or streaking. If you notice any brown spots or streaking you are screwed.
Never, never, never touch that CPU with that finger again!
June 18, 2008 10:06:29 PM

Nice knot...nice one..
June 19, 2008 12:10:02 AM

knotknut said:
Oh no! You touched the CPU socket, with your finger. You are in BIG trouble.
The CPU socket is treated with some of the most toxic substances known to man. If you are lucky your finger wont rott off. Follow these steps:
The first thing you should do is soak you finger in Baking Soda. Then soak it vinegar. Next you have to smother that finger with medical quality KY Jelly and put the finger somewhere dark for at lest 8 hours. After 8 hours is up pop that finger out and inspect it closely for brown spots or streaking. If you notice any brown spots or streaking you are screwed.
Never, never, never touch that CPU with that finger again!

What about cauterization with a hot soldering iron id he sees spots ? Don't forget that part ! I did not know they treated the sockets with John Ashcroft's insanity...hmmmm
June 19, 2008 12:17:04 AM

my current CPU came from newegg with a bevy of bent pins (oem) and i just used my fingers and one of the pci slot covers to straighten it out and everything works great.
June 19, 2008 12:35:34 AM

Like others said... pins = screwed... if touched...

if it is... screwed... try calling your manufacure... (intel mostlikely or amd... what ever chip you bought)
June 19, 2008 1:22:36 AM

mehrdad,

i didn't understand what you meant...were you saying that if the pins on the motherboard socket are touched, i'm screwed? if so then that doesn't appear to be what "others said'.. just trying to clarify, thanks
!